Rescues/shelters In Brooklyn?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A co-worker of mine is in need of some recommendations for a rescue or shelter in Brooklyn.
Story: Neighbors of his that were hoarders and trouble makers suddenly disappeared overnight. Left a cat behind.

Cat is very friendly but my co-worker is in no position to care for it as he's financially strapped to the hilt and the cat appears to be suffering from a few health issues; at minimum a possible eye infection.

However, he's concerned enough to want to help the cat and is willing to take it somewhere safe. The door to that apartment was open this morning and the cat ran after him down the stairs. He left a bowl of water for it and when he gets home later is going to bring food. He *might* just bring him into his apartment overnight until he can find a local rescue so I suggested at minimum to find the least expensive litter box set up he can find also.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here has recommendations for good rescues or no-kill shelters in Brooklyn? I know it may be difficult this time of year, being kitten season and all. Or any other suggestions?

Again he can NOT keep the cat. He is not financially equipped to do so.
Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
Will give him that info tomorrow.

I actually handed him some money out of my own pocket before I left the office. I happen to know his financial situation really well because I'm the HR person and he's the reason we incorporated an education loan payback program in our office - he's just starting out in his career and SO in debt with his school loans, let alone living in NYC and all that entails.

He does love animals though, his family has cats and dogs so he just could not turn away from the situation entirely. I was happy to hand him some cash so he could do whatever he needed to without worrying about it. Hopefully between the info you both gave me and the ones I gave him that I knew of he'll be able to place the kitty quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, this morning, he went to the apartment to find a cage with a note that said "cat will be taken to shelter today unless someone would like to adopt him"

Evidently, someone had already taken the cat to their apartment and gave it a home earlier in the morning so everything worked out :hyper: He lives in a very small building where everyone knows each other so I'm sure he'll find out who stepped up to do the right thing soon enough.

Thanks everyone - I'm going to keep all this info handy since I work in NYC and so many people I work with live in the city or Brooklyn