Rescued Two Feral Kittens - They Are Docile But The Boy Isn't Convinced

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just rescued two feral kittens over a week ago, the vet said they are about 8 weeks due to their size. I have them in quarantine because they had fleas and roundworms. They are using the litterbox, they eat out of a saucer because they haven't figured out the kitten kibble yet. The little girl is purring for me, but the boy still hisses at times. He'll come out of the crate to play with his sibling and has even tried to play with my hand a couple of times. I've read sometimes you need to separate them, but I can't just yet. He'll let you handle him, he doesn't bite or scratch, but he is stand-offish. I also occasionally hand feed them a little roasted chicken. I gave them some after their bath the other day. Do I maintain the status quo for now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do take my hand away and redirect. And they have a large mouse that they can use as a kick toy. This afternoon their favorite game was Battle Royale - The Sibling Edition. I've gotten a few incidental scratches from them just playing. Like when Gigi jumped on my forearm so that she could then dive bomb her brother. That I don't mind. :p
Thanks for the advice, though. It's been a few years since I've dealt with kittens and even longer with feral ones.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely keep doing what you're doing. The boy will come around if you're patient and let him come to you. His sister being more confident will actually work in your favour, as her trust will rub off on him in time.

When you're playing with them, try to use wand-style toys that keep your hands well away from claws and teeth. If he does bite in play, either freeze your hand or push it towards him. Pulling away is what prey would do, but freezing or pushing into him is unexpected, and should prompt him to release you faster. Having suitable toys to redirect him is essential too, and try to get to know his cues so you can redirect just before he grabs you.
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: The boy Spenser purred for me early this morning about 5 a.m.. His sister had been purring and he'd just eaten. I was tired and not really thinking. I was petting him and he seemed pretty friendly. I though I was hearing something and then he purred this big rumbely purr for a few seconds. Then he decided he need to fight with his sister.
Thanks for all the great advice, I'll be sure to check the articles and videos out after I've had some coffee. Then I'm gonna go play with them.

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a great video that really helps with some socialization techniques for feral kitties. It is a 3 part video series that starts with the rescue of the kittens. I learned many great tips watching this video.

Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague
Thank you! I was afraid I was being too interactive and touchy with Spenser, but these videos really echoed what I was doing. I don't have wonder anymore if I was really screwing up. The other thing I did is that I forced Spenser to start coming to me to play after a couple of days of play sessions. That really seemed to help as well. I let him come and go as his comfort level adjusted to me. Some days he'd have enough and go back to the crate and I'd throw a toy in there, so he could still play and have a break from me.

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spenser is pretty laid back for a kitten. Gigi is either all stop or all go. I get worn out just watching her play.

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update, they aren't roundworm free yet so we are still keeping them isolated in their own room. The fleas are long gone, thankfully because these little gems are becoming cuddly. I get purrs and greetings from both every time I go up there to see them. They are both happy to be out of the crate and they love the big covered litterbox they just got. I even moved the cat tree up there, but the jury is still out on that. Thanks for all the great advice.

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want say how grateful I am for all of the advice I got on this thread and in the forums here. We are all doing fabulously well. The kittens finally were introduced to the rest of the house, and they get full run during the day. Spenser still likes to eat random crap, tho, so I put them back in the guest bedroom at night or if I'm out running errands. I expect we won't do that for much longer, but the cat tree is still up there and they love it. We are all current with vaccinations, and they got neutered/spayed and chipped in October. We didn't quite get the fleas the first time, so it's Frontline for all for at least 4-6 months. They send their fondest regards to you all.
20181114_161654.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would you separate the kittens when they are the only security they have in the world? It seems to me they'd be braver and more ready to make new friends if their sibling had their back.

Yes, I'm late to the thread, but I was wondering.

I'm glad you didn't separate them from each other. It seemed to me if the girl liked you, she could be the bridge between you and her brother.

I did read someone who said that you were supposed to separate puppies from their litter mates so they would feel desperate for someone to love and protect them. Destroying their world would force them to love you. Which seems incredibly mean to me.

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why would you separate the kittens when they are the only security they have in the world? It seems to me they'd be braver and more ready to make new friends if their sibling had their back.

Yes, I'm late to the thread, but I was wondering.

I'm glad you didn't separate them from each other. It seemed to me if the girl liked you, she could be the bridge between you and her brother.

I did read someone who said that you were supposed to separate puppies from their litter mates so they would feel desperate for someone to love and protect them. Destroying their world would force them to love you. Which seems incredibly mean to me.
It does sound cruel, but ferals can be challenging, and from the reading I've done, sometimes it's necessary and beneficial for the recalcitrant kitten to have some one-on-one time with it's caregiver. There are those kittens who just won't engage with their caregiver when their litter mates are around. And if the intention is to find a home for these guys, the window for taming is pretty short, and it really needs to be done while they are fairly young. The older they get the harder it is.