Rescued Siamese cats & questions

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our shelter rescued 6 siamese cats over the weekend. They had been abandoned in an appartment for 8 months and needed to be saved. We have certainly had siamese cats before, but usually not pure bred. I just have a few questions and thought this would be the best forum to ask the questions.

These 6 started out as a brother & sister pair who had kittens. We obviously know nothing about the history of the original two. I noticed yesterday that the 3 female off spring have some of the worst nystagmis (sp?) I have ever seen. I have certainly seen it in mixed breeds before, but it is usually not this obvious. I'm shocked at the severity of the jerking movements. Does this pose any serious concerns for these cats well being and happiness.

Second, are there any other additional diseases that are common to the siamese breed that we should watch for? Again we have no idea where the two original cats came from. They may have come from a good breeder, but we have no way of know.

Thanks

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you know they are pure-bred? Also, how do you know the parents are siblings? I asked the same question regarding Siamese health the others day, and found out that pure-bred Siamese don't have genetic issues like other pure-bred cats. However, if mom and dad are siblings and therefore inbred, their kittens are likely to have many genetic issues.

I certainly hope this is not the case. By Nystagmus, you are referring to jerking of the eyes right? I've never had a cat with it but a friend did.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 we have no idea where the two original cats came from. They may have come from a good breeder, but we have no way of know.
Thanks
If they come from any a good breeder, they will be ID-marked. Probably by chip, but earier was tattoo quite common and acceptable alternative.

Not chipped/ID-marked, no serious breeder...   And thus - very possible they had a longer history of inbreeding if BYB-breeder..

About the nystagmus - I would guess their balance is weaker than usual.  But exactly what it does with them, you yourself must observe. And preferably has your vet look at them.  Or at least - one of them.  :)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. They were abandoned in an owner occupied duplex. So the 80 some year old Land Lady was taking care of them for 8 months. She told us that the original pair are brother and sister. I checked on Sunday and both males are intact, so who knows how many more babies may be on thier way. I wonder if anyone checked them for a chip. That is supposed to be part of in take, but since I wasn't there I'm not positive.

They will go to the vet as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So over the weekend the 2 males developed URI's. I spoke with the perosn who actually went in and got the cats. Apparently they were living in horrific conditions. The younger of the 2 males is at the vet today. In addition to the nystagmus he has an odd head sway. So he was first on the list to go into the vet. He is very sick with URI (I would guess herpes or calici) and I would guess this is a result of the combination of stress and poor living conditions. It is my understanding that they were using the whole house as a litter box, and the mattress they were living under was urine soaked.

I hope we can get the young guy through, as I have gotten very attached to him while giving him his nursing care. He is the easy to syringe feed as once he smells the food he just starts licking and eating as the food comes out. The issue is he won't eat on his own right now. I know this is because his head is so stuffed up he can't smell the food. He is afraid, but I can tell he is a sweet and gentle boy.