Rescued pregnant cat...

Lailah8806

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my neighbours recently moved away and left behind their female cat. She would sit outside their door meowing all night and so we took her in. After a couple of weeks it became apparent she was gaining weight quite quickly, nipples showing etc. Four days ago I started to see the babies moving about. She was eating like a horse but now just small bits every so often. I'm about to set up her nesting/birth box in my bedroom - is there any really obvious signs of her going into labour? And I'd like like get some supplies ready also so suggestions on what to get please. We have huskies and so she's registered with our vet now so can get her there if we needed to. Just after all the advice you could give please 🙂 would like to do my best by her

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Basically get her comfy and I would have some basic stuff to help out if needed moms even first time moms do just fine on their own as long as they're laboring in a comfortable place and feel secure, so they can focus on the babies as they're born.
Others may have suggestions but just in case supplies I would have on hand is some towels that you don't mind getting ruined. Something to help clear the kitten's airway if required, usually mom does a good job of doing that but just in case. Bottles or nipples made for newborns and a syringe just in case you need to hand feed for the short or long term. The number to a 24-hour animal hospital that cares for mothers and newborns. If available should it be different, the number to a 24-hour hotline, so you can ask questions and get instant answers. Hopefully you won't need it, but it's always good to be prepared.

Things you might find helpful for mom is high quality and nutritious food canned is great as it provides extra hydration too and pleanty of clean fresh water for her to drink and also some sheets or other cloth for her box that can be washed or tossed after delivery and it's replaced with clean bedding.

I may have missed some things it's been going on 7 years since I had an expecting mother cat.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps a sock full of rice you can microwave for a nest heater. KMR for supplemental feeding, which mama can also have, for supplemental calcium.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goats milk is good, both as supplement for momma, and as emergency kmr for kitten... A kmr based on goats milk is almost always good.
And if they dont need it, you can drink up the goat milk yourself. Either as it is, or in your coffe / tea (as the english do).

IF you must cut off the umbilical cord, you can use your nails. Wash the hands but they dont need to be absolute sterile. Mommas teeth arent.
Do not use sharp scissors, unless its over a full hour after.

If she has many kittens, dont let her eat more than 4 placentas: there is some risk of hefty diarrheas...

Aside of goats milk or kmr and a syringe / dropper.

Get home glucose sugar / dextrose. Useful in many situations, both for weak kittens and humans.
In USA glucose sugar proper is difficult to get. Most resuers use white caro syrup.