Rescued My Neighbor's Cat...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...from our shed!  ACK!  I feel so bad!!  She's probably been in there for at least a week and we had NO clue!  I haven't even seen her in about a year and thought she'd passed away because she's a senior cat.  Poor girl!  Both of their cats prefer our backyard because we don't have dogs to bother them.  Anyhoo, I was sitting here in my computer chair and noticed their boy cat was jumping up onto the window screen of our shed.  I then noticed a CAT in the window!  Mark ran out there and recognized Peach (one of the neighbor's cats).  He opened the door, but it took her some time to come out.  I got her a very little bit of water and a very little bit of food and offered them to her.  I then scooped her up and walked her next door, which was a miracle because she's never allowed me to be within 3 ft of her.  She was totally comfy with me holding her and even purred and gave me head butts.  Unbeknownst to us, the neighbor's doorbell doesn't work, so we brought her back and were going to put her in our sunroom so we could watch her and continue to feed/water her gradually until the neighbor's came home.  I was waiting for Mark to bring the crate when the neighbor came walking through the back gate!  I was never so happy to see him and he was so happy to see the kitty!  The cat is his wife's baby and I know she had to be frantic and heartbroken.  She didn't seem to be emaciated and her strength was good.  She must've caught a mouse or two.  Her eyes were nice and clear and she was very alert.  She responded to her name when I spoke to her.  I did tell the neighbor that she needed to go to the vet to be checked out and make sure her liver was okay.

Mark's decided we're going to put a cat door on the shed and set up some shelters in there for them just in case they get in there during the cold weather.  I really wish they would've told us Peach was missing as the first thing we would've done is open the shed door.  I get so frustrated that they let their kitties out!

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy this turned out to have a happy ending.  We're not crazy about letting Blackberry and Blueberry out, but they were left behind when our neighbors moved and they are used to being able to come and go as they please.  We worry over them, especially if the next door neighbor is working under his house and leaves the door to the crawlspace open.  That's very nice of you and Mark to make your shed "cat friendly".  Bless you both for doing that. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Peach! That can happen so easily. We've locked neighbors' cats in our garage at least twice. Now we don't lock it so they can look in there themselves, and I check it every day.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The poor thing! I'm really surprised your neighbor didn't let everyone in the area know her cat was missing. :confused:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad this story has a happy ending! Kudos to making a pet-friendly shed!