Rescued kittens fighting

Atrisk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new to this forum and have been reading everything I can about kitten behavior. 3 nights ago I took in 2 kittens. The older one, Kyo, is 6-7 weeks old, and the baby, Yuki, is 3-4 weeks and tiny. Both were found abandoned and I couldn’t say no. Kyo is a super active, goofy snuggle bug. He’s eating kitten food like a champ and uses the litter box.

Yuki is a different story. I’ve been bottle feeding him, it’s been a struggle for both of us but it’s working. He’s gaining weight, becoming more active, and is starting to get brave and explore the house which is adorable. The problem is that Kyo keeps attacking him. I know kittens play rough but because of their size difference I’m worried that Yuki is going to get hurt…he’s just so little. I’ve read a bunch of posts on this subject but have to ask, is it possible Kyo thinks Yuki is prey or is he just doing what he would naturally do with litter mates? They’re never alone unsupervised and my son and I try to referee them but we’re both worried about little Yuki. It’s probably obvious to everyone that we’re first time pet parents. They’ve had a rough start in life and I want to do everything as “right” as possible for them and not interfere with their natural development.

Kyo has toys and loves to pounce and do the bunny leg thing when he catches his cheese on a stick or taco cat toys, and he is getting better at not “attacking” human hands and feet : ) My concern is that he’ll try to “bunny leg” Yuki before we can stop him…do kittens even do that? I feel like they don’t but have no frame of reference so I’m asking you all. For anyone wondering, yes I realize I sound crazy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes I agree. Separate them for time being. Kyo means no harm, but Yuki is too small for these wrestling matches...

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The difference in ages (2 or 3 weeks) is a HUGE difference when they are both so very young - but, don*t despair, in 2 or 3 weeks, when they are both able to eat from a dish, it won't be such a big deal and you'll be able to let them interact, at first under supervision, of course. In the meantime, a playpen, dog carrier, or pop-up pen will be ideal to keep them separate but still able to see one another. Perhaps someone nearby can lend you a pop-up pen. I have 2 - but live in Germany 🙁

Good luck - I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with your 2 babies.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would keep them separated but be able to see/smell each other until the little one is older. He is just too fragile right now. Get a kickeroo, a long-filled cat toy on Amazon or anywhere online, and throw it towards Kyo when he is stalking the baby. It should distract him and release some energy.