Rescued kitten & told she was a maine coon/tabby mix - might be more Siberian than MC?

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My dad adopted two kittens last year from a rescue after our beloved Maine Coon/Tabby named Tigger passed. We believe our new cats are siblings, but potentially only sharing one parent, as Deebo (M) is short-haired and small, while Winnie (F) is long-haired and much larger.

We were told though both were some kind of Tabby mix, with Winnie being Maine Coon. But my dad thinks maybe she’s more of a Siberian than MC… she’s very chatty, friendly, and playful, but isn’t as immediately cuddly as Tigger ever was. She loves to play fetch with hair ties (as does Deebo with paper balls), and loves playing with water.

Any thoughts on whether that sounds more Siberian than MC?

Photos of Winnie attached ❤

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's a domestic long hair black Mackerel tabby. Tabby is the coat pattern, not a breed. No evidence of any breed such as Maine Coon nor Siberian. Lots of cats play with water and fetch. It's not breed specific.

Only about 4% of cats all over the world are purebreed cats. They are not out running around procreating with random street cats. Breeders keep strict control over their cats and kittens and most neuter/spay before sending kittens home now. They also do not sell breeding cats to just anyone - only other legitimate breeders.

Some allow them to go home before being fixed but there's always a contract stipulating when to neuter/spay. Add in that when a customer pays thousands for a cat, you tend to be someone that is good about making sure they are kept safely indoors or on a harness when outdoors.

Can it happen? Sure. How often? Rarely happens. Shelters and rescues don't help matters by titling domestic cats as whatever breed it may resemble. It's a ploy to move them out quicker as people think they are getting something special for little money. All purebreed cats are derived from domestic cats which is why you see common attributes in domestics and purebreed cats.

Aside from that the only way to prove a cat is a purebreed cat is by following it's pedigree back through many generations of only that breed. Any cat without papers is automatically a domestic cat.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's a domestic long hair black Mackerel tabby. Tabby is the coat pattern, not a breed. No evidence of any breed such as Maine Coon nor Siberian. Lots of cats play with water and fetch. It's not breed specific.

Only about 4% of cats all over the world are purebreed cats. They are not out running around procreating with random street cats. Breeders keep strict control over their cats and kittens and most neuter/spay before sending kittens home now. They also do not sell breeding cats to just anyone - only other legitimate breeders.

Some allow them to go home before being fixed but there's always a contract stipulating when to neuter/spay. Add in that when a customer pays thousands for a cat, you tend to be someone that is good about making sure they are kept safely indoors or on a harness when outdoors.

Can it happen? Sure. How often? Rarely happens. Shelters and rescues don't help matters by titling domestic cats as whatever breed it may resemble. It's a ploy to move them out quicker as people think they are getting something special for little money. All purebreed cats are derived from domestic cats which is why you see common attributes in domestics and purebreed cats.

Aside from that the only way to prove a cat is a purebreed cat is by following it's pedigree back through many generations of only that breed. Any cat without papers is automatically a domestic cat.

gotta remember a maine coons and siberians and norwegians are all natural breeds. you see a lot of norwegian looking moggies in the seattle area and we had massive immigration by boat in the 1800's early 1900s. lots of siberian looking moggies in oregon. lots of russian immigration there by boat same time period. I'm sure there is a lot of natural maine coon moggies on the eastern seaboard.. and it's probably true of a lot of areas in the world depending on what kind of immigration patterns were present. that said I don't disagree about the above kitteh. pretty kitty but i'm not seeing any particular influence.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My dad adopted two kittens last year from a rescue after our beloved Maine Coon/Tabby named Tigger passed. We believe our new cats are siblings, but potentially only sharing one parent, as Deebo (M) is short-haired and small, while Winnie (F) is long-haired and much larger.

We were told though both were some kind of Tabby mix, with Winnie being Maine Coon. But my dad thinks maybe she’s more of a Siberian than MC… she’s very chatty, friendly, and playful, but isn’t as immediately cuddly as Tigger ever was. She loves to play fetch with hair ties (as does Deebo with paper balls), and loves playing with water.

Any thoughts on whether that sounds more Siberian than MC?

Photos of Winnie attached ❤
What ever breed she is she is pretty.