Rescued feral kitten keeps throwing up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andrea_Lucky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks fionasmom fionasmom and IndyJones IndyJones for the link and advice on subcutaneous fluid administration. We have been doing okay with giving them to him so far, and Lucky seems to be staying hydrated (passing the "tent test"). Though he is getting wigglier each time, so the info in the link will be very useful!

In some ways Lucky seems to be doing better, but in others ways, I am unsure.

All day yesterday, he had zero appetite and I had to syringe-feed him, but did see him licking his feet after one feeding -- I think grooming is a good sign? He hadn't been doing much of that the prior two days. But then late last night, after a SQ administration, we fed him and he did want to eat a little bit on his own. Though we ended up syringing more food to him, altogether probably about 15ml (a/d food mixed with nutrical, water, and probiotics). He was purring a lot and seemed in better spirits and I left some of the food in his pen, and by this morning (~4 hours later) he had eaten all I had left him (about 6-8ml). So -- good news right?! Also, this morning, when I first saw him, he was fully sitting up and grooming himself, (the past two days he has mostly been just laying in a lounging position and I rarely saw him sitting fully upright).

But, then in his litter box, I saw a green glob of something, with not much of a smell. If its diarrhea, well, he has been having that, so it would be no change from the past few days, but if its vomit then I am worried, since he hadn't vomited since just before we took him to the vet 2 days ago. The photo is below, any guesses as to if it is vomit or diarrhea? I will also send the photo to the vet today for their thoughts.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

Andrea_Lucky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that this morning, after I saw him sitting fully upright, I gave him some food and he ate on his own again, probably about 5-8ml. I tried to give him a little more by syringe, but he seemed not to want it so I stopped and left it at that -- particularly since he had eaten the food I had left for him sometime in the prior 4 hours, and also worried he might have vomited after giving him too much last night.

Andrea_Lucky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just heard back from the vet, and they think the photo is diarrhea. Which to me is a good sign, since he is improving in other ways, but at least is not regressing to vomiting again. Now we are hoping the diarrhea will also resolve soon.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my son's cats had coccidia it took quite awhile for the stool to form. If you can get some S. boullardi is wonderful for cats with diarrhea and cats with coccidia. I use the Jarrow brand and just sprinkle some right into the food.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OVW0E/?tag=thecatsite

I am so happy that he is alert and eating some on his own. How is he at taking the medication. I remember my son struggling as it was nasty tasting. He had to give it for almost 3 weeks.

Andrea_Lucky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much shadowsrescue shadowsrescue and John Perram John Perram for your advice about coccidiosis. Today, Lucky seems much better. Last night he made a big mushy poop -- but no longer the watery diarrhea consistency it had been for the previous 3-4 days. He also has his appetite back and is eating as much as he needs to on his own, so we don't have to syringe feed him anymore. His energy is up, he is sitting upright a lot, and now he is even playing with the toys in his pen! I think we are just about through the woods!

So in short, what ended up working for us was the antibiotics + supportive care (SQ fluids, and syringe-feeding when he wouldn't eat on his own). Still, we don't have any definitive diagnosis and coccidia remains our biggest suspicion.

shadowsrescue shadowsrescue , I will ask our vet about the S. boullardi you recommended. Right now, Lucky is still on his prescribed probiotics, but only for a few more days before it runs out. I will also keep in mind what you said about the poop not becoming formed for some time.

Anyway, I am now very hopeful that Lucky will make it and be fine. So far, we have only been able to keep him in a playpen, and his food and litterboxes are in there with him as separation from the other cats, and I am also going to take a steamer to everything that we can. I'm crossing my fingers that we will be able to let Lucky interact with the other cats soon. One is a caring momma, and the other 2 are her 14 week old kittens (Lucky is estimated at 9 weeks but very small), so he can learn more cat behavior, socialize & play like a kitten should.

Andrea_Lucky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I forgot to mention, kittychick kittychick had suggested a scale, so I bought a little kitchen scale (up to 5lb), and started weighing him yesterday afternoon. He has steadily gotten heavier since then -- gaining almost 1oz in ~12 hours!

Andrea_Lucky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi shadowsrescue shadowsrescue ! Thank you for checking in! Lucky is all better now!!

He just completed his antibiotics, and is still on prescribed probiotics. He has lots of energy, a good appetite, has normal, firm poop, and has been steadily gaining weight. He has gained about 3/4 pound since his lowest weight 1 week ago when he was really sick. His former symptoms (lethargy, no appetite, diarrhea and vomiting) seem all completely resolved, following initiation of treatment with the antibiotics and the supportive care. I can't believe that 1 week ago, I was discussing euthanization as one of the possible options with the vet!

However, Lucky has a very bloated looking abdomen. I don't know if this is normal for his body type, or is due to after-effects from the GI condition he had (yet undiagnosed), the antibiotics, the probiotics, his previous malnourished state prior to us rescuing him, or some other condition. I have sent some pictures to the vet and will ask their advice on if we need to get him checked out soon.

Aside from that, our plan is to get his fecal test redone in a few days, and probably test the other cats too, to make sure he didn't pass it on to them. Once the vet has given us the thumbs-up, we will let him be with the other cats. He wants to play with them so badly!

Anyway, thank you to everyone who gave me your advice and support with Lucky's condition!
Lucky1.jpg
Lucky2.jpg
Lucky4.jpg
Lucky3.jpg
!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not seeing any bloating in these photos. Kittens are babies and need to grow into their bodies just like human babies. They do look disproportionate for a while until they hit puberty.

If the screening from the vet doesn't show anything I think that's all it is.

Andrea_Lucky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks IndyJones IndyJones ! I sent photos and videos to the Vet, and they also think it is just a normal kitten belly -- I'm so relieved, and glad to hear you think the same thing.

Tomorrow we can send a new fecal sample to test at the vet, and if Lucky is all clear, he is free to be with our other cats!

Andrea_Lucky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lucky's fecal was normal! He is happy and enjoying life with the other cats now!