Rescued Feral Cat And Possibly Pregnant?

CML

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
7C52BA5A-B5CF-41AD-A2C7-A6A660420C99.jpeg 22B34157-230F-47C6-A483-336D5AF2B3D5.jpeg B9DC6BB5-488F-4B5E-8002-1EB2F2E42651.jpeg C4AE09E3-2523-4AA7-B806-B963BC5D644E.jpeg F1F5F00A-BD4E-4C71-8C62-4B7BE65A28D3.jpeg Hey there!
So I live in Wisconsin and if anyone lives in the US you’re probably aware of the ridiculous polar vortex that hit us a couple weeks ago with -25 F temperatures and -50 F windchill... Over the last year I have been caring for a feral Tom who I have attempted to catch since he was a kitten but he is far too fast and far too smart to be caught. Long story short, a couple months ago a new cat started showing up to his house where I feed him and was extremely skiddish and fearful. During the polar vortex my neighbor saw her in my backyard heading towards a shed we have that is empty. I headed back there and found her on the brink of death... Naturally I could not leave her so I got a carrier and brought her inside our house. She has been seen by a vet, but very briefly since she barely weighed 4 lbs and was extremely weak, we didn’t want to stress her out more than need be. Ever since, we have had her in a spare office room with her own bed and space away from our dogs. She is oddly overly affectionate towards us and comes up to us and wants to be pet and cuddled. Whilst rubbing her belly I have noticed over the last week, her nipples have become much more prominent and they are a white/pinkish color. I have never owned cats and really have been so lucky with how sweet she is. She has been putting on some weight and has been treated for worms, but I am starting to think she may be pregnant?! Very sorry for the long post but felt the background was necessary... Vet said based on her teeth she is at least a year-2 years old, definitely has been living outdoors, and most certainly wouldn’t be alive today if I wouldn’t have caught her (so we are very happy I did!)... if anyone can help me by taking a look at the photos that would be great!!! Also, we have decided to keep her (as a forever inside cat) and would love any advice on introducing her to our two dogs (a 2 year old German Shepherd who is a big gentle bear and a 3 year old yellow lab)!!! Thank you!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The teats arent the classical hindbear red, yet its very probable she is preg.

The introduction shouldnt be too difficult nor dangerous as the dogs are friendly. Also dogs do accept new be if they recognize them as belonging to the family.

And she being adopted ex homeless, is anxious and eager to adapt and be accepted...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CML

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing her! I’m so glad to hear that you’re keeping her! Since she was outside, around intact males, she is most likely pregnant. Cats are very prolific breeders. This article lists some more signs to look for: How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?
Thank you! Yeah I suspected she would be frequently breeding out there but I didn’t think she would be pregnant now! Haha we have a vet appointment Wednesday to further vaccinate and check her out! If I could save all the feral cats out there I would haha I’ve attempted to try and find their actual colony but have been unsuccessful mostly due to the fact that I have to trespass onto other people property and it’s a little riskier...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CML

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The teats arent the classical hindbear red, yet its very probable she is preg.

The introduction shouldnt be too difficult nor dangerous as the dogs are friendly. Also dogs do accept new be if they recognize them as belonging to the family.

And she being adopted ex homeless, is anxious and eager to adapt and be accepted...
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I’m not so concerned with the dogs I’m more concerned with her since she is EXTREMELY scared of venturing outside of the room we are keeping her in even without any dogs in the house so I don’t know how to coax her out of there and get her to explore her new home! Also don’t want to stress her out and force her into anything!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For a homeless cats dogs are usually the enemy...

Have the dogs on leash and order them to lay down at the first meeting....
Train this with them if they arent trained.

Make sure she has several retreat places. Both up and beneath something.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you, i would consider having her spayed and ending the pregnancy at this point. I think a pregnancy will be a risk, both in terms of her recovery as she was so ill, and in terms of territorial behavior with the dogs.

I know it’s a lot to think about. Maybe your vet can continue the discussion Wednesday. Don’t give her shots if you decide to continue the pregnancy.