Rescued cat swats at people

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I found a foster for a homeless cat. While at times the cat is very loving and affectionate, at other times she is aggressive, growling and swatting you if you try and touch her. She is a very confident cat, I think she was probably raised badly. I am very worried this will prevent the cat from being rescued. I am looking for advice to stop this behavior so she can be adopted, thanks.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats who are acting aggressively are acting out of fear. Very easy to see how your cat may be fearful at times or with strangers and lash out at those who get too close. I would let guests or family members know not to get too close to this cat and to pretty much ignore her. The alternative is to shut her in a room when visitors are over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats who are acting aggressively are acting out of fear. Very easy to see how your cat may be fearful at times or with strangers and lash out at those who get too close. I would let guests or family members know not to get too close to this cat and to pretty much ignore her. The alternative is to shut her in a room when visitors are over.
It seems like it is a dominance thing. She is sweet when she wants attention, like only on her terms. The problem is she will not get adopted if she swats at people and she will not be adoptable. So just leaving her alone is not an option. She will have to go to adoption events to meet potential owners. So I am hoping there is a way to modify her behavior.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While this may not apply to your situation, we had a stray who swatted at the staff on occasion, but swatted at every potential adopter. One day a woman came to the shelter looking for a cat. Since she had a child I steered her away from our swatter. After I finished a scheduled adoption, she came back with her daughter, a young girl about 12 to see one of our cats again. She warned her daughter to stay away from the swatter. Suddenly the swatter rushed toward the daughter, rubbing against her legs and looking up at her. She reached down to pet the swatter and ... it was love at first sight for both of them. Our swatter found her fur-ever home that day and according to her family forgot her swatting ways.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While this may not apply to your situation, we had a stray who swatted at the staff on occasion, but swatted at every potential adopter. One day a woman came to the shelter looking for a cat. Since she had a child I steered her away from our swatter. After I finished a scheduled adoption, she came back with her daughter, a young girl about 12 to see one of our cats again. She warned her daughter to stay away from the swatter. Suddenly the swatter rushed toward the daughter, rubbing against her legs and looking up at her. She reached down to pet the swatter and ... it was love at first sight for both of them. Our swatter found her fur-ever home that day and according to her family forgot her swatting ways.
I like the story, it gives me hope for this kitty.

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are people trying to pet her when she isn't interested? If so the swat is to say "Go away I'm not consenting to this right now." My vet gave me the advice to first slowly offer your hand for sniffing - like for dogs - and if she sniffs and rubs her head on your hand she wants petting. If she doesn't than she isn't interested and you need to respect her space.

Many socialized cats don't like visitors to pet them and that's okay, all cats are different. It doesn't mean they are unadoptable - they just aren't outgoing to strangers. I would keep her in a spare room until trust is build and then slowly start exposing her to people.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are people trying to pet her when she isn't interested? If so the swat is to say "Go away I'm not consenting to this right now." My vet gave me the advice to first slowly offer your hand for sniffing - like for dogs - and if she sniffs and rubs her head on your hand she wants petting. If she doesn't than she isn't interested and you need to respect her space.

Many socialized cats don't like visitors to pet them and that's okay, all cats are different. It doesn't mean they are unadoptable - they just aren't outgoing to strangers. I would keep her in a spare room until trust is build and then slowly start exposing her to people.
That's good advice. She will probably being going on a transport up north and go to a rescue where I don't know the people. So I worry about her being a problem child.

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's good advice. She will probably being going on a transport up north and go to a rescue where I don't know the people. So I worry about her being a problem child.
If she is going to a rescue I bet they have people who have experience in helping cats like her. Thank you for helping her while she waits for transport!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that case I would certainly not shut her up - just let her go where she wants to but tell people to ignore her. She will slowly learn that people are not going to hurt her and, in time, may be willing to go to them to be petted. It will probably take a long time, but keeping her shut up and away from people will not change her attitude and her fear of getting too close to anybody. I have a cat, Emily, who still swats at people even though she's been with me for many years. She sometimes lets people stroke her but only as long as she believes it's me touching her. As soon as she realizes her mistake, she lashes out.

Think positive: there are people out there willing to care for a difficult cat. Not everybody is looking for a gentle, loving animal. Some people only want to give a home to a special cat, who has so far not had much luck in life.