Rescued cat first day home

MT Coral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I adopted Coral today and so far it's been amazing! With in her first few minutes home she went crazy for her new cat tree. I got the big one. She was up and down. Scratching fursioly. Dove into her catnip like a maniac and chased her toys for hours. She made herself right at home immediately. She is so sweet and loving. It's unbelievable how she is adjusting. I don't understand why someone would just dump this little sweet girl. I am worried though. She has not used her cat box yet. I've showed it to her a dozen times by now, she's eating and drinking but just isn't going. She's been home for about 5 hours now. Should I worry? Ok, i am worried. Lol any advice? Is this normal?

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a cutie! Congratulations on your new kitty! She will probably go overnight when it's nice and quiet. It's normal for kitties to hold their urine and bowels for up to 24 hours. As long as she is eating, drinking, playing and all that, she should be good. Make sure she's seen the litter box. I always like to put them in the box so they know where it is, even if they hop right out.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Coral knew immediately that she found her human! Thank you so much for rescuing her. Someone dumped that baby? Awww! I never understand that. The flip side is that you and she are now together. She’s beautiful! I know we all worry if anything seems off but she is probably adjusting and also having way too much fun to stop. Lol As posted before, when things settle she’ll probably go just fine. Do keep us updated on this sweetheart as your story together develops.
Welcome Coral and new parent! Congratulations!:hellosmiley::woo:Happy Adoption day!:celebrate:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how wonderful! What a pretty kitty. You sound over the moon. And so does Coral. Match made in heaven! I have also had new kitties that didn't go for hours. Or overnight. I'm also sure she will when she's a bit more settled.
Would love to hear updates and Coral stories.
Congrats!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful she's making herself at home so quickly. Like everyone else has said don't worry things are new to her, she will probably go when your sleeping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MT Coral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
******Update******* I gave her reduced sodium canned chicken water mixed with water. She drank an entire cup and went pee an hour later in her box. Yay! Thank you for all your great advice and kind welcome!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yay! Now that she's peed in the litter box, probably back off on the chicken water, and see how things go. If she's eating mostly canned food, it's got a high water content, so she'll probably get all the water she needs. Of course, keep fresh water in a dish always available for her.