Rescued brother and sister kittens need help with behavior

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet carrier catch!
Here's where feeding time memories come in really handy. I pretend to make food she comes into the kitchen I grab her. it's easy.

Conclusion!
In my view Beta personality cats would actually make amazing single cats for people. They are quiet and calm. But, Alpha cats are horrible single cats. Alphas demand nonstop attention, all the time, day or night. If my boy did not have my little girl, he would tear my home apart. I can see why cat people say adopt them together, it's for their and our well-being.
@RarePuss....you are lucky she comes when you "pretend" to make food...lol..mine only come into the kitchen at set times when THEY think it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner and evenings when i wander into the kitchen to make tea or grab a snack...lol.  Mostly i have to do the "vet grab" when they are sleeping and wrap them in a towel and be as quick as lightning.
  Its cool how all our cats have their own unique personalities and we try to outsmart them.

JUST some questions: when you think back to when they were kittens, did you know right away who was alpha and beta? were there any signs that you could tell?  the reason i am asking is because I did not know about Beta's so it would be helpful to find out more.  In the end it sounds like they all make great pets just very different types.
There are no injuries but he cries. They certainly do love each other.
I'm not in favour of sedating him alone and I doubt my vet would let me in any case. I'll try again oonish
@Stewball....i gotta agree with you there, because i too would be afraid to sedate my cats, and that is even if the vet said it would be okay.  I have never even given them catnip, because I heard it makes them hyper...so what kind of herb or drug is it?  The only thing is, I DO trust my vets, only worry about my cats' reactions to meds.  you may have to call a mobile vet, but they may be more expensive, if you have one in your area.  

When I feed them, I sit in between them and when he starts to get curious about her bowl of food, which is the exact same thing, I have been putting my hand in front of him and say, "no".

She stopped eating with Max after the carrier incident last Thursday, but she did eat with us this morning. Any slight move I made caused her to jump back.  I know she is not ready for me to pat her. As cat owners, we know how important it is to speak in a soothing manner and have patience!

@Lola1962, here is the link i read about on TCS concerning transporting, www.thecatsite.com/t/272477/pregnant-momma-or-daddy  under @Red Top Rescue  ( sorry i do not really know how to create links yet).  ps.  i have to clarify that i would be nervous giving my cats a sedative because of possible side effects,....i would rather take one myself...LOL....but for the cat, this would only be if my vet thought there was no other way....i don't know....i trust my vets to a point but they would not be able to help me if my cat had a bad reaction right away...so i worry.  I guess we all worry too much at times.

you can "sit between your cats" and the cat shows up when you're eating.
...WOW..
..my old cat spotty..gets startled and walks away if i happen to walk by him while he is eating, and if i try to lie on the floor and stare at him while he is eating, he stops, looks at me, and either continues or walks away again. LOL....i guess in the socializing department, i missed the boat when he was young. 

Last edited:

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

JUST some questions: when you think back to when they were kittens, did you know right away who was alpha and beta? were there any signs that you could tell?  the reason i am asking is because I did not know about Beta's so it would be helpful to find out more.  In the end it sounds like they all make great pets just very different types.
Cat personalities:

Here's a great cat personalities article

There's Alpha, Beta and Gamma.   If Alpha's are most outgoing, Beta's in between and Gammas are mellow and shy. 

My little girl probably came into my life as a Gamma, and became a Beta as she came out of her shell.  I knew my big guy was Alpha from beginning.  I visited them 3 times growing up, and he was always 'the man' of that litter, bossing everybody around, playing, running like a maniac.  But when he settled down, he was always with her, always.  He has a lot of Siamese in him, his eyes are blue, he's a cream color point.  She's a red-patch torbie.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is all great stuff.  I think the gloves would be a better option right now.  I can't catch her!  

When I feed them, I sit in between them and when he starts to get curious about her bowl of food, which is the exact same thing, I have been putting my hand in front of him and say, "no".
She stopped eating with Max after the carrier incident last Thursday, but she did eat with us this morning. Any slight move I made caused her to jump back.  I know she is not ready for me to pat her. As cat owners, we know how important it is to speak in a soothing manner and have patience!  

You have been helping me through this crazy time.  Your advice and time is appreciated.  I know she may never be a lap cat, but I want her to be happy.  :thanks:
While blighty's paraphernalia was in my room and whisky was allowed in, he'd go to blighty's plate while he was beating. Blighty immediately growled at him and covered his plate with his paw. Now they eat the same food with 2 plates side by side and before bed I give them a treat which is wet food and they eat it from the same plate

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@RarePuss
....you are lucky she comes when you "pretend" to make food...lol..mine only come into the kitchen at set times when THEY think it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner and evenings when i wander into the kitchen to make tea or grab a snack...lol.  Mostly i have to do the "vet grab" when they are sleeping and wrap them in a towel and be as quick as lightning.:storm:   Its cool how all our cats have their own unique personalities and we try to outsmart them.
@Stewball
....i gotta agree with you there, because i too would be afraid to sedate my cats, and that is even if the vet said it would be okay.  I have never even given them catnip, because I heard it makes them hyper...so what kind of herb or drug is it?  The only thing is, I DO trust my vets, only worry about my cats' reactions to meds.  you may have to call a mobile vet, but they may be more expensive, if you have one in your area.  

@Lola1962, here is the link i read about on TCS concerning transporting, www.thecatsite.com/t/272477/pregnant-momma-or-daddy  under @Red Top Rescue
 ( sorry i do not really know how to create links yet).  ps.  i have to clarify that i would be nervous giving my cats a sedative because of possible side effects,....i would rather take one myself...LOL....but for the cat, this would only be if my vet thought there was no other way....i don't know....i trust my vets to a point but they would not be able to help me if my cat had a bad reaction right away...so i worry.  I guess we all worry too much at times.:nervous:
you can "sit between your cats" and the cat shows up when you're eating.:shocked: ...WOW..:blush2: ..my old cat spotty..gets startled and walks away if i happen to walk by him while he is eating, and if i try to lie on the floor and stare at him while he is eating, he stops, looks at me, and either continues or walks away again. LOL....i guess in the socializing department, i missed the boat when he was young. :sunk:     :Sailboat:  
My vet said 'no way Jose' or words to that effect. She said to get those false claw things - ignore the word 'thing'. It's just when I forget a word.
Well if he'd allow me to put them on he'd let me clip them wouldn't he?
I was thinking how to get him to the vet. If I buy a bigger cage then whisky could come too
He has no problem. He's so laid back. Wish I was was
Any case any thoughts on my idea anybody?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said 'no way Jose' or words to that effect. She said to get those false claw things - ignore the word 'thing'. It's just when I forget a word.
I was thinking how to get him to the vet. If I buy a bigger cage then whisky could come too
@catnap. Blighty loves catnip but it makes whisky very aggressive so blighty has to miss out
My Gentle and Lotto loved it. Gentle went crazy. Big retina/iris. Soaking slimy toy and then Lotto would take over. How could he!
:nausea:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat personalities:

Here's a great cat personalities article

There's Alpha, Beta and Gamma.   If Alpha's are most outgoing, Beta's in between and Gammas are mellow and shy. 

My little girl probably came into my life as a Gamma, and became a Beta as she came out of her shell.  I knew my big guy was Alpha from beginning.  I visited them 3 times growing up, and he was always 'the man' of that litter, bossing everybody around, playing, running like a maniac.  But when he settled down, he was always with her, always.  He has a lot of Siamese in him, his eyes are blue, he's a cream color point.  She's a red-patch torbie.
thanks for that article link, @RarePuss, it was very informative and humourous.  
 So i think my cats fall into the betas.  
@Stewball...sounds good getting a larger cage so both cats fit, that means yours don't really hold grudges against one another.  I don't know much about those false claws or plastic nails, do you use glue to put them on? and won't your cat bite you anyway?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for that article link, @RarePuss
, it was very informative and humourous.  :read:  So i think my cats fall into the betas.  
@Stewball
...sounds good getting a larger cage so both cats fit, that means yours don't really hold grudges against one another.  I don't know much about those false claws or plastic nails, do you use glue to put them on? and won't your cat bite you anyway?
I think most cats love catnip. Whisky is the exception to the rule. Try with one toy and see the response.
These claws I think are glued on with some sort of special glue!
I don't know if he would bite me. He hasn't yet even though I sometimes grab him for a cuddle and he doesn't struggle right away just moans through his nose. As soon as he starts to struggle I let him go. Doesn't bite or scratch me. Whisky doesn't either. Two remarkable kitties.
Blighty still tries to cover his food bowl when he's finished eating. He's soooo sweet. I suppose he'll always do that. When
he was a baby he was so particular about his litter box. He'd make his hole and sit down. Change his mind and repeat and repeat the procedure and again until he was satisfied and clean up after himself very well indeed

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
 he was a baby he was so particular about his litter box. He'd make his hole and sit down. Change his mind and repeat and repeat the procedure and again until he was satisfied and clean up after himself very well indeed
...That is so adorable, i had one do that and always wondered why the first hole was not good enough....lol.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lola1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@stewball, your black cat looks similar to my Max with the tuxedo markings.  Max has 2 little vertical lines under his nose like a mustache. Makes me laugh.  I appreciate that you are able to understand the dynamics of my cats' behavior.  I have gotten Max to stay away from Ruby's food bowl - most of the time.  The new struggle now that Ruby wants to be around me more is that Max gets very possessive of me.  When I go up to bed, they follow me up and hop on my bed.  I give them a treat then they hang out for a while. Max sits very close to me and will not let Ruby come close.  He will even charge at her so she leaves.  The problem is that she would not ever venture up to my bed if he didn't.  

I am so glad your guys seemed to have worked out their differences.  I have only had these 2 for 1 month now.  I hope I can get Ruby to be more comfortable being around me when she is not with Max.  I got plenty of time!