Rescued a beautiful kitten but unsure of breed

pookarooney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued this kitten on new years eve outside my house, it was out alone with no collar yowling, terrified of the fireworks and running into a busy road. It ran to me when I called it and sat straight in my lap when I sat down. A trip to the vet reveals its around 5 -6 months old and has no microchip. We have put up posters etc but noone has come forward so far.

He is a beautiful blue-grey-white colour, with very long legs and huge paws. He has the longest tail i have ever seen! He is lithe and can jump pretty high, and is so friendly (he loves rollin around in your lap, headbutting you). His fur is really soft, almost downy, and he hardly sheds. His ears are very large, and his body is really long.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is a very beautiful blue tabby domestic short hair. It's great that you found and rescued him. He looks gorgeous. I can't wait to see more photos of him :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookarooney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!

He really is such a beaut - this is a photo of him right now being adorable. We all bounced between thinking he was just an especially lovely tabby, or something a bit more exotic due to his hunting behaviour and gangly limbs! Even the vet wasnt sure, she thought he might be an abyssinian.

Im so glad i went outside and spotted him when i did!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
More good photos are needed to tell anything more with any certainity.

To say he is domestic is easy, as almost all of them are.  But here we have probably a pure inside cat who got freshly astray.  The probability of him being purebred (perhaps of pet quality) or at least, a fresh mix  is greater than from the usual "I dont know nothing about his ancestry, we got him from a barn when he was 6 weeks"

PookaRoney, please continue also for searchin after the owner.  Although dont reveal everything about his looks.

Let the owner identyfy himself by knowing the missing bit in his description.

Good luck!

pookarooney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi StefanZ. Yeah we have put more posters up and have told the local vets that we have found him. If he isnt claimed in the next few weeks we will adopt him properly.

We are all just so interested in him, he looks completely different from any other kittens we have had before. His tail is nearly as long as his body! I'm trying to get a picure of him just standing but he is hardly ever still so its difficult.

Thank you

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is a very gorgeous blue ticked tabby with an extra long tail and legs he needs to grow into :D

He is heterozygous ticked tabby that means he has one copy of the ticked gene, that breaks the pattern up on the body but leaves the tabby stripes on his face, legs and tail :rbheart:

Last edited:

pookarooney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha yes I have a feeling he is going to be enormous!!

Thanks again GemsGem

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 He sure is gorgeous!  

I wouldn't rule out that he may have some recent breed ancestry.   In that first photo he sure does have an  Abyssinian look. ( actually the lighting / tone of the photo makes  the color look more like ruddy than blue.   but I'm talking about his face looks  a lot like an Aby face.   I do think it looks like he has enough barring on the legs & tail that,  as gemsgem said,  he must be heterozygous for ticked tabby.  That would rule out him being a purebred Abyssinian since  an Aby would be homozygous ticked & wouldn't show so much barring.  Also the coloring doesn't look like the blue Abys I have seen. ( of course,  they were show cats and would have had a lot of bands of color on the hairs;  it ends up giving them this shimmery peach color peeking out from the blue.  )  but I couldn't rule out some Aby in him,  if he stayed having the big ears and long legs.

I am having an idea that is probably crazy ,  but the pics plus your description makes me wonder,  could he possibly be part Chausie?   That is a hybrid breed developed by crossing Felis chaus ( Jungle Cat) & domestic cats -- and Abyssinian was one of the most commonly used breeds.    Chausies are not common  but  I think they've increased in popularity.    Blue is not a recognized color in Chausies  but sometimes a blue could turn up ,  since some of the cats carry dilute .   Ideally they're not supposed to have such a long tail,  but sometimes they do.  I know of one gorgeous SBT Chausie boy who had a quite long tail.

Of course , going by probability ,  it's most  likely for him to be entirely or nearly all descended from random-bred domestic cats who are the vast majority of cats;  they do come in a wide variety of size ,  and the ticked tabby gene is in cat populations all over the world.  And gemsgem is also right that kittens / adolescent cats sometimes go through a phase with big ears and long legs,  and then "grow into" them.     It will be interesting to see if he keeps those proportions as he grows up,  and what size he ends up.     so I hope you'll update us!

Whatever he is, he is really a beautiful boy!

pookarooney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Maewkaew,

Yes he is so interesting looking - me and my sister did a bit of research and also thought he looked a little like a Chausie!

We are taking him to the vet again on Thursday for a check up and his vaccinations, hoping he may have an idea of what breed he may be.

Thanks so much for your reply, I will definately keep you posted. He is just the friendliest thing! The colour on the first picture is a bit off, in actual fact he is very grey/blue/white in colour, he also has very downy fur almost like a chick!