Rescue w oral issues & possible seizure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a stray cat that I took into rescue, he is ~2 yrs old, neutered male. I have him in my guest bedroom until can get medical issues sorted out.

I brought him and his brother In February of this year, His brother has passed away after we’ll just say complications of a neuter. Long story but I have posted on here ab him.

Since bringing Cecil in I started noticing some weight loss and lethargy He’s a very timid cat to begin with so it’s hard to tell when something is bothering him and we all know they hide things quite well.

I was able to get a look inside his mouth finally and ugh. Idk if Stomatitis, or other oral issue? He has a vet appt Thursday.

8970FCC4-B8D6-4C51-BAC9-66055FC5B0FD.jpeg
4F102CDB-6EB3-48B0-90E1-69ABF8153B4B.jpeg

I have switched him to canned food and he’s eating well.

Last night I spent the night on the couch in my guest bedroom with him. He crawled on my chest and started to make dough for the second time since I’ve had him. I was videoing for my TNR page bc he started making biscuits. However, I think he had some sort of neurological event. His eyes were fixed like in a focal seizure. His hind end appeared like he was hunching, but different. He didn’t seem to have control over it and the legs would alternate in this odd behavior. After this he appeared a bit disoriented. Here’s a video of event.

I’m not sure what to think? He is on pain meds until Dr can get him in for exam Thursday.

Im trying to prepare myself mentally and financially for what may be going on here. And of course keep Mr Cecil as comfortable as possible. Any advice on either issue much appreciated!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep calling to see if there are any openings. Or see if you can drop him off. If no openings take to er before it gets worse. Can you send the pic to your vet? He has to eat so don't wait til thurs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep calling to see if there are any openings. Or see if you can drop him off. If no openings take to er before it gets worse. Can you send the pic to your vet? He has to eat so don't wait til thurs
I will keep checking with them. The closest ER Vet is a cpl hours away and I don’t, at this point think it is an emergency. He is eating canned food very well, no fever, not dehydrated etc. Plus I’d be looking at a couple grand worth of Vet bills, which I don’t currently have.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, thank you so much for rescuing Mr. Cecil. :thanks: I'm very sorry about his brother passing away due to complications earlier this year .:hugs: Second, ever since the pandemic veterinary offices have been inundated with all types of pet health issues as well as routine care. Two of the vets at our office retired and they're looking for a replacement but want to find the right fit. I know Thursday seems like a long time to wait but you're actually fortunate to be able to get him in this coming week. It definitely looks like he has a dental problem but I'm uncertain about a seizure. Hopefully you will get some answers this week. Should his symptoms worsen I would call them ASAP. Please keep us updated. I will be anxious to learn what the vet tells you. Best of luck! :alright:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he's straining to poop or pee. Has he used the litter box? I would try to get him asap for dental check-up and full bloodwork/UA. Hopefully, it's nothing serious.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, the clinics in the small town I live in have a 3 week wait on any appts. This particular Vet he has the appt with is a 45 min drive to a very small town. He gives me excellent prices on things such as dentals an odd surgeries. He is a wonderful surgeon as well. (To give an idea the last dental w 5 extractions, Clindamycin, and Onsior was $103) I was very fortunate on him getting Cecil in so soon!!

I haven’t noticed him straining or any other unusual behavior. I’m keeping a very close eye on him. I actually have a camera setup in my “cat” room. Lol

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update
Cecil tested positive for feline leukemia. The Vet advised it was caudal stomatitis and would be something he would suffer w the rest of his life. He advised that adoption would be highly unlikely and any cats around him were at risk. Without a home for Cecil lined up, I made the decision to end his suffering today. :( His hind legs had also became affected at this point.

I always choose to stay w my rescues if it comes down to euthanasia no matter what. Today was the first time however I felt uncomfortable w his process. This Vet did not know my history as a Vet Tech, Shelter Director, and person whom is Certified in Euth myself. Cecil was a bit dehydrated, and it got ugly. To the point I wanted to tell him to do a damn heart stick and get it over with. I am just numb right now and have to live w those last moments. The only comfort I have is knowing he is with his brother and he is no longer suffering.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no - not the update that I was hoping and praying for :grouphug: I am sorry that the ending wasn't a smooth ride; I have had a dog & a horse go the same way - it is traumatic. Try to focus on the happy hours & days of love that Cecil enjoyed. His little spirit will make the Night Sky Trail (aka the Milky Way) one star brighter tonight. I'd to think of him marching, tail up, alongside a little child who is also crossing over. :alright:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you on the passing of Cecil. :hugs: Bless you for being by his side and watching over him during the euthanasia procedure albeit it not going exactly the way you would have hoped. As you said, he is at the Bridge now with his brothers and free of pain. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
kmbishop111 kmbishop111 our hearts go out to you at this time. The blessing is that you were there for Cecil and he knew love and caring.

We lock threads where a cat has passed, out of respect. If you feel you would like to leave a testament to your friend, and find support from our members, there is our Crossing the Bridge forum.

...................................................................................RIP sweet Cecil
..................................................................................
...:greenpaw:.:bluebutterfly:.:rbheart:.:bluebutterfly:..:bluepaw: .

Status
Not open for further replies.