Rescue s and adoption pricing

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked at adopting a 18 month old great Dane ... BUT the adoption fee was 300$ ... My question is ... Is this a normal amount for a "pet " rescue??? Most of the other rescues are "purebred " and they charge 50-100 $ for a dog ...

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on where you're getting him from. Is it a Great Dane Breed Rescue? A pound? Your local shelter?

I know my local shelter charges $200 for dogs. I think puppies under the age of 6 months are $300. If it's at a local shelter, then ya, I would say it's a little over what it should be. But still, a purebred... I'll have to know where you're getting him from.

laurencoombs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's sounds normal, especially if it was a Dane rescue. Most breed specific rescues do not get any financial aid from the gov't/state/county, and rely on donations or the money comes from members' pockets. Plus treating a Dane is particularly expensive because they are so large.

I helped out at a Great Pyrenees rescue and the vet bills on most of the dogs were very large, so they look to get most of that refunded through the adoption fee.

If it's at a local shelter, then ya, I would say it's a little over what it should be.
I agree. My local shelter charges $45 for dogs regardless of size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a Dane rescue ... My local shelter gives adoption free after you prove spay or neuter

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why they charge that much. At the shelter where I volunteer, it's $50 for a dog no matter what breed or size. Some of the adoption fees are sponsored if they have been with us for a long time. It includes microchipping, a free 5 lb. bag of food, a collar if you don't have one and a leash, a tag, and we do a pack that is for free anyways that talks about

shelter care - you get 30 days free and it covers a lot of stuff like parvo, distemper, uti, hit by a car, ingesting poison, etc. and it will pay up until $500 which is cool, it talks about microchipping, helping a new dog adjust to your home, some certificates for training, a dvd to help you train your adopted dog, there's a puppy section and a dog section, and some other brochures

and a sticker for your window to let firefighters know that there are pets inside and a magnet for your fridge for the ASPCA poison control center, etc. and of course we fix the pets prior to adoption if they aren't fixed when they come in and most aren't and it's the law in the state of Montana anyways if you adopt a pet from a shelter, rescue, or a pound in Montana the animal must be spayed and neutered.

we don't do spay and neuter contracts because a lot of people don't follow them we have them fixed. If the dog is in heat we wait a couple of weeks to get the dog spayed because it is risky to spay a dog in heat and we won't risk the dog's life for that.

usually the fees help with housing the animals and stuff. our funds go to a fund for unwanted animals and unexpected surgeries and stuff like that.

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our shelter has a vet on staff. All dogs come up to date on vaccinations, check ups and testing. They are spayed/neutered before leaving. They come with an ID tag, collar and leash. It's $200. I guess it's kind of expensive compared to other shelters, but they have the lowest kill rate and highest adoption rate of any shelter in the state of Illinois. They let pets stay there forever if they need to.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's standard $50 here. However, smaller breed dogs & purebreds more "in demand" have higher fees. Sounds bad, I know....but with so many animals & no funding....well, you'd expect to pay more for a purebred Chi than a purebred Lab....we apply that to adoptable dogs.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and plus they get their distemper shot, bordatella (for kennel cough) and wormer. all they need is their rabies and also you get a free health exam to take to your vet. Most of the vets will honor it but some won't here. I know of one vet here that won't honor it and will make you pay for it.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That fee is pretty typical for most of the giant breed rescues I’ve looked at as well. Not sure if I missed why a comparison is being made to shelter fees in this case...

Originally Posted by white cat lover

It's standard $50 here. However, smaller breed dogs & purebreds more "in demand" have higher fees. Sounds bad, I know....but with so many animals & no funding....well, you'd expect to pay more for a purebred Chi than a purebred Lab....we apply that to adoptable dogs.
I don’t look at it as a bad thing as long as people don’t perceive it as one animal's life being worth or valued more than another. If someone is willing to pay a higher adoption fee for a highly desirable dog and by doing so can help offset the care of a less adoptable dog (exp. a sick senior)…I say why not.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the comparison came from me... Since I know of NON purebreed rescues and there adoption fees are nearly the same as the pound or a humane society...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you can come here & adopt a Great Pyrenees if you'd like!
A stray one came in, female. She's hilarious....like a 120 lb. puppy! She makes me so happy to play with....I love her to pieces!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HUMM road trip

I would love too and I think you would approve me but I dont see travelling half way accross country right now

I am of course open to ANY Large or Giant breeds

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our adoption fee for puppies is 120, medium to large adults 105, small breed adults 150. Any desirable breed is 200. Uness your getting him from a shelter that doesnt sound high to me.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the fee could reflect any extra vet care they've had to do on him, if I'm not mistaken, sometimes Danes, well, really, any pure bred, may have a higher incidence of med problems. if they got him from a breeder auction they could have factored in that price as well. just remember though, if getting a Dane from a breeder you'd probably be paying close to $1000

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They do have the sliding scale ... 400 for puppies 300 for 1-4 200 4-7 and 100 over 7 yr...

Glad it is not unreasonable but I think I am going to visit the local shelters .... One the only cost is spay or neuter the others with shots and s/n are 50-100.... i think I will wait on purebred till I can afford/find my anatolian puppy

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

They do have the sliding scale ... 400 for puppies 300 for 1-4 200 4-7 and 100 over 7 yr...

Glad it is not unreasonable but I think I am going to visit the local shelters .... One the only cost is spay or neuter the others with shots and s/n are 50-100.... i think I will wait on purebred till I can afford/find my anatolian puppy
Any rescue is great, I say!

I wish you luck in whatever you decide, as well as luck with your new puppy/doggie!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is cute but the reminder of HOW $$$ the Danes are was a good one