Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway to make scratchers instead of buying them? I'm not crafty but it seems like maybe it's something that could be done.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I have made the rope scratchers before. The problem is the ones they love the most are the cardboard ones. I have attempted to make one before and it takes a lot of effort. It is just easier and less time extensive for me to buy them really. They aren't too expensive, it is just that with this many cats we need about 8 at any given time and then we have to continually replace them every couple of months. They SHRED them lol. I don't mind buying them because I know how much they enjoy them, it just isn't something commonly thought to donate to shelters.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We went out to visit our newly acquired colony- I am going to call them the Park Colony because they reside at a local park. We saw about 3 new adults that we hadn't seen the day before. So there are at least 13 cats/kittens. I am sure there are more. I left a letter for their current caretaker to contact me so that we can coordinate to help get them fixed. They emailed me tonight (yay!) It sounds like it is an older gentleman, he said his health is preventing him from helping with them as much as he wants. I am glad we are able to help him. I am going to go back Tuesday with another rescue because the injured 6 month old kitten really worries me. We saw him again today and he is just dragging his back leg now. He was at least limping on it yesterday. Poor thing. I am hoping we don't have to trap it and that we can get it into a carrier but I don't think that is going to happen. I am worried about trapping the other cats while trying to get him and I don't want to trap them until I have a set spay/neuter plan for them. I only saw one of the 6 week old kittens, I actually walked up and was close enough to pick it up before it reacted to me, I wish I could have grabbed it but I had my hands full. I think they will be easy enough to lure into a carrier with food... (I am hoping).
Sigh. Wish us luck.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
As I focus more on feral cats during this "closed for intake" time... should I open a new thread for our feral colony adventures in the feral cat section? Or continue posting on this thread? It is getting pretty lengthy! lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can start a Park Colony thread in Strays and Ferals if you'd like. It sounds like that might go on for awhile too since there are quite a few cats.

Just include a link here for the new thread!

Then continue back here when you resume regular intakes. :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update for everyone! We are still "closed for intake" but if you have been following our thread in the feral cat forum you will see that that does not mean that we stopped taking in cats lol. We took in 7 kittens from a new colony, got three mommas spayed, and we caught an injured 6 month old cat- well an old injury- he had a broken leg and has lost function of it. He is VERY frightened of me, but we are working on it. This week we got three feral mommas spayed, two of our older kittens- Kissy and Gwen, and our injured guy Ghost was neutered. Our two white boys Domino and Durango went with us to be neutered too but they both have an upper respiratory infections so they have to wait until they clear it. Our last two unsprayed adults Penny and Meadow go for their spays this morning! So then we just have to worry about getting Domino and Durango healthy and getting them done and finding them homes. Sadie also got the URI gunk, she mothers them. Once we get everyone healthy and everyone in my home spayed/neutered we will work even more with our colonies!
We also just got a huge cat tree donated to us that I have to set up, I am excited to see them on it!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sadie has an appointment Friday evening to hopefully get some antibiotics and get some for the boys (Domino and Durango) as well. I was trying to treat their eyes with the terramyocin and supplement with lysine, they all seemed to get a little better. But still pretty congested and sneezy. I am trying to contain the URI to just them :please:
There was something with diarrhea going around... which is awful because they seemed to leave diarrhea EVERYWHERE. I *think* we cleared it up with panacur. Fingers crossed. Its so hard to tell who all has it unless you see them pooping. It is a little overwhelming well illnesses start passing though everyone.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Still sneezy/snotty/congested. I've got the humidifier going in there room. They are enjoying their new HUGE cat tree. Can't wait to get them some antibiotics on Friday to get them better!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
How do indoor cats who haven't been to the vet get colds? Can they catch them from humans?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Colds are caused by the herpes virus, which some cats carry because they were exposed to it early on. At times, it can flare up in the form of a cold. When it does, it can be contagious.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We are a couple of days on the antibiotics, hopefully they start kicking in soon! I think I have all of my snotty cats contained to one room lol knowing how my life goes as soon as this group is all over the URI the other group is going to have it. Ugh! Maybe this is a sign that I took on too many? Right now it feels like I have a lot, but in reality I had more before. It seems like more because most of them are adults and not kittens. It is just so much harder to adopt out adults. 7 of the adults I have right now are females that came to me pregnant or with kittens, their kittens have long since been adopted and they are still here. I love them all to death, but I can't take any more kittens in until some adults find some homes. Hopefully soon now that it is getting cooler and kitten season is slowing down (it never really comes to an end does it?)