Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe it depends on the climate where you live. I'm guessing in colder places there is a fallow period where the cats are indoors more often.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like kitten season never ends. It's very frustrating. It's not just the summer months. It's about 9 months of the year.
Maybe it depends on the climate where you live. I'm guessing in colder places there is a fallow period where the cats are indoors more often.
Yes, in warmer climates you are talking 2-3 litters per year per queen. There is a spring crop of kittens and a fall crop.

When I was in Okinawa, Japan there were definitely fall kittens. Aya was one. I always knew when it was kitten season as there are a huge number of stray/feral "mura neko" everywhere and about 6-8 weeks after they all kittened you'd start seeing a lot of roadkill, as in newly weaned kittens... very sad...

Okinawa is a subtropical island similar in climate to Florida. Never freezes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I heard a cat in heat here a couple of weeks ago. On the one hand, I'm praying that it wasn't Little Bit, on the other hand, she knows about the shelter, and could have them in a protected place during the winter months. Drat this backward county and their "no TNR, trap and euthanize" policy!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
We have another rescue run going on Wednesday! For those of you who don't remember a couple of us rescues in Morgantown partner with a no kill shelter up north and they pull cats/kittens and dogs/puppies from us a few times a year. They also pull from other shelters in the south. Its a no kill shelter with a lot of funding and a high and fast adoption rate. Since we are still in kitten season they aren't taking any adults right now but they are taking young kittens and limited older kittens (6 months and younger).
We are sending our 4 older formally feral kittens, they have come a long way but are still a little shy- especially the light grey two. I am hoping all goes well and they accept them- they have sent cats back before.
We also are getting 4 kittens someone was giving away for free that was born in their yard. Working on getting them help to get momma spayed but these 4 will be going with us too!
We are also sending Juniper- our former feral tuxedo that we trapped that was living in a wood pile!
I am hoping all goes well and they accept all of our former ferals.. Fingers Crossed. They go on Wednesday!
Here are pictures of the 4 free kittens we are getting today.
FB_IMG_1508821587827.jpg
FB_IMG_1508821590552.jpg
FB_IMG_1508821595567.jpg
FB_IMG_1508821598136.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... so adorable.

I was just thinking, how hard it must be to part with all the kittens you rescue, and get attached to. Then I compared your situation to a teacher, who has a group of kids for a year, preparing them to move onto the next grade. And even though I'm sure they miss them, there's always more kids waiting to take their place.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic! Can Nemo go?
Unfortunately he does not meet the age/weight requirements for this run. In the winter they do take adults from us so I'm hoping either he can go or some of my other adults can go and I'll have room to take him in!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the kitten who looks like he's scowling (on left in last photo).

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed they accept all 9 tomorrow! I am a little worried since 5 of them are former ferals how they will act in the new environment and if they aren't friendly enough they won't accept them.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Waiting with baited breath...wait, exactly what is baited breath? With what is it baited? What is your breath supposed to catch with that bait? I'm confused...

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
All kittens were accepted! We kept one of the former feral kittens here because a previous foster is interested in adopting- but everyone else got to go! So for a very brief moment, we are kittenless! (except for the 4 older kittens we have).

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We were contacted today about an 8ish week old special needs kitten... some sort of trauma has left it unable to use its back legs. It also tested positive for FIV. I am not sure why anyone would test a kitten that young though.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I do know another rescue who has taken special needs kittens from us before so I am waiting to hear if they want this one!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ,

Don't you wait with bated breath to see if the cats will go into the baited traps?
:crazy:
Why yes, you do! Oddly, I had never seen this actually written before...and I'm SIXTY FOUR YEARS OLD!!! How did I miss seeing in print all of these years??? Nor had I run across "bated" used in any other context. THANKS!