Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So the rescue transport for the 7 kittens and one momma that we are getting from the shelter has been rescheduled for Wednesday! Fingers crossed nothing else happens! My luck!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Took a fecal sample in, they did find coccidia so they gave us more Albon! Everyone (Blake's litter and Blake) started it today!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
unnamed (18).jpg

Just a phone picture but it is a cute one! You would never know that Blake "adopted" one of the black ones! They all are the best of pals.
I think the black one probably brought the coccidia in, Blake's poos were normal before we brought her. Sigh.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can give the kittens TINY amounts of yogurt. The dose for an adult cat is 5mls before meals, so go by that. No fear of it having lactose, one of the bacilli found in it breaks down the lactose, and a couple of them help with the diarrhea, just as it does in humans.

DANG THOSE ARE CUTE KITTENS!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Good news is that they (poet kittens) are responding to the Albon relatively quickly! Thank goodness! Also it helps that they seem to be learning the litter box now.. I added an additional one.
We shampooed carpets this weekend, because litter training is messy enough- its even worse with coccidia!
Olivia's kittens will be getting their last dose of wormer, first vaccines, and a dose of Frontline and will be leaving for their homes soon (the whole litter is pending adoption now!) We are meeting with someone that I work with today with Olivia. She is very interested in her, she just wants to see how Olivia does with her young son, I think it will be perfect! Then Olivia will have a home lined up too!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just LOVE good news! I hope Olivia and the son do well together. That girl needs her forever home.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So the meet and greet with the girl and her son went well. The son is 2 years old and he is a lot to handle lol. Olivia was a little overwhelmed but sort of removed herself from him- which was good I thought. They are buying her a big cat tree so that she has a few places to get up and away from him if needed. And the son is only there 3 or 4 days a week, so she will have time away from him. We are going to take her back to them in a couple of days- the kittens will be 9 weeks old (I just don't have room with all of the incoming kittens to keep them until 10 weeks). The day we are taking her there the son will be away for a couple of days which I think will be good for her to adjust without him there and she can find her own hiding spots to get away from him.
Busy next few days! Getting the transport from the shelter that got postponed on Wednesday, supposed to meet with adopters for all of Olivia's babies this Friday. Getting prepared for this rescue event this Saturday... I think I will just take kittens.. I have a solid grey girl and a solid black girl currently (both 10 weeks approx.) then I am getting the 4 older kittens Wednesday. I think I am going to take all of them with me. I don't think any of the adults that I currently have would do well in that type of environment and it would just stress them out more.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for Olivia! Sounds like she is on her way!

I tend to agree with you on only taking the kittens. The older cats will do much better with privately arranged adoptions and low-stress meet-and-greets.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We finally got the kittens and the one momma cat from the shelter that we were supposed to get last weekend! The older kittens are bigger than I was thinking they were... they are 14ish weeks old. One of the medium hair grey boys I think has a hernia? I have never had a cat with one but I fostered a dog that had one one time- its just a little bump on his belly... I didn't have much time to look him over before I came in to work and everyone was SO full of energy from being in a cage in the shelter for a couple of weeks! If it is a hernia it usually is repaired during a neuter right?
The Siamese mom is BEAUTIFUL. Her belly is a little round so I have to wonder if she potentially is pregnant again- I will be treating her like she is for now. I can't get her in for a spay for a couple more weeks so I guess we will see!
Is anyone good at knowing the different types of Siamese... like the color points? Mom I think is a seal point- she has a very dark mask. There is one Siamese kitten, he is pretty unique looking- he has very light tabby marks on his whole body with darker tabby marks on his tail and ears.
All had fleas which we are treating! Other than that everyone is very sweet and VERY playful- but like I said I think that is because of them being in a small cage for so long. I will upload pictures tomorrow!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think it would be ok for kittens at 6 weeks old to be away from their momma for a day (for a spay?). I know the recommended time to spay is 8 weeks old, but I might be getting time off of work at the end of next week so I was going to see if the low cost spay/neuter clinic can fit in London, Blake, and the two Siamese mommas. London and Blake's litters will only be 6 weeks old then, but they are all eating a lot of wet food so I was thinking it might be fine?
I just wanted to get the Siamese Moms in as soon as I can so that they can be adopted sooner, the clinic is an hour and a half away so I would like to take everyone that I can in at once!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a hernia is repaired during a neuter. They should see it and fix it, but be sure it goes on his paperwork.

It should be fine to take all the moms at once, especially if you suspect the one mom may be pregnant again and you want to terminate.

KIttens at 6 weeks should be fine since they are eating well.

So glad the kittens are out of the cage! :)

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Here are the best pictures I could get for now! Everyone is so full of energy!
After looking at some of the color point Siamese I think the new mom might be a tortie point?
IMG_1949.jpg
IMG_1963.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg
IMG_2051.jpg
IMG_2056.jpg
IMG_2058.jpg
IMG_2068.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They're beautiful! I love the little tabby point guy! And you may be right about Mama, although I'm no expert on color points. But her paws look very tortie to me.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
How many kittens do you guys think I can take? I have one of those tall cages with the platforms that rescues use for adoption events. Then I also have a medium sized wire dog crate. I was thinking I am definitely taking the buff long haired, the grey and white long haired, and the two grey medium hair. I can put the two grey boys in the dog crate. They are older and play a little rougher. I have a grey short haired girl that is 9 weeks that I was going to take. The new siamese mom's kittens are actually 9 weeks old so they are old enough to go if I wanted to take them- I just don't think I would have room. I am not sure if we will have many adoptions or even any at all, but I want to give as many of them a chance at adoption here as I can. I think the two grey boys in the dog crate and maybe 4 kittens in the tall cage would be the most I could take? What do you guys think?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that is enough. If someone is interested, they can always follow up outside the event regarding your other kittens.

How do you screen adopters at the event? When do adopters take the kittens home? Don't you need to verify certain pieces of information?

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have any of those hammocks that are really ferret beds? I've seen them used at adoption events in the cages & they look so comfy.