Rescue kitty and babies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CAurora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She could possibly be coming into heat? Or her hormones all over the place?
I've had similar with my mama cat this week, I thought she was in heat, only lasted about 4 days and she's settled down again, Phew.
She didn't really display any other heat symptoms but constant loud meowing and pacing about.
How the litter training going?
That’s what I was thinking too, but was confused about the lack of other typical heat behaviors. But it would make sense that with her hormones all over the place it would be a little different. Hopefully it’s over soon :lol:

Litter training is going pretty well! I haven’t noticed any accidents within the past few days.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s what I was thinking too, but was confused about the lack of other typical heat behaviors. But it would make sense that with her hormones all over the place it would be a little different. Hopefully it’s over soon :lol:

Litter training is going pretty well! I haven’t noticed any accidents within the past few days.
Glad to hear litter training is going well, did you make a change with the type of litter you are using??
Mine are getting there (slowly) I've got 5 litter trays in the room haha, accidents tend to be on the puppy pads around the tray. One of the kittens in particular seems to prefer weeing on them 😬 I have to watch her like an hawk.

CAurora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear litter training is going well, did you make a change with the type of litter you are using??
Mine are getting there (slowly) I've got 5 litter trays in the room haha, accidents tend to be on the puppy pads around the tray. One of the kittens in particular seems to prefer weeing on them 😬 I have to watch her like an hawk.
I did change to a nonclumping, clay litter that my vet said they were currently using for some kittens in their clinic. As soon as they got the hang of that litter they started using the pine litter also! I have noticed they only poop in the clay litter, though. I have four in the room, two clay and two pine, but I’m going to start adding more throughout the apartment because they are getting adventurous these days and leaving their room on occasion! I’ve noticed that I have one or two who are really good about using the litter box, and the others will watch them and then follow their example—sometimes I’ll look and there will be three of them all using one tiny box :lol: it’s pretty cute

CAurora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leaving in a few minutes to take all 6 of them to the vet for a check up. Wish me luck. Mom hates the car. :gaah:

CAurora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to update earlier — everyone is healthy, including mom despite her weight. Vet said she’ll most likely start gaining when she’s done nursing. Her exact words about the kittens were “they’re very...active.” Oh, I know. I know. :lol:

CAurora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the kittens had their appointment about a week ago for the first deworming, and a check up. Since then a couple of them have developed diarrhea (maybe the past 2-3 days). I called the vet and they didn’t seemed concerned because they haven’t had any behavior changes. I’m picking up a medicine for them tomorrow. Anyone else ever experience this with their kittens? At what point should I become concerned?

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the kittens had their appointment about a week ago for the first deworming, and a check up. Since then a couple of them have developed diarrhea (maybe the past 2-3 days). I called the vet and they didn’t seemed concerned because they haven’t had any behavior changes. I’m picking up a medicine for them tomorrow. Anyone else ever experience this with their kittens? At what point should I become concerned?
Mine had diarrhea when starting weaning, vet prescribed them a probiotic which I sprinkled on their food, cleared it up within 3 days.
I think so long has they are eating plenty of wet food and drinking enough water its not too concerning, they just need something to get them bk on track to having solid poos 😊

CAurora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine had diarrhea when starting weaning, vet prescribed them a probiotic which I sprinkled on their food, cleared it up within 3 days.
I think so long has they are eating plenty of wet food and drinking enough water its not too concerning, they just need something to get them bk on track to having solid poos 😊
Ah yes, I think this is the problem. They’re slowly getting back on track with the probiotic.

CAurora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any tips getting the kittens to wean? Mom has to be weaned in order to get her fixed, and they won’t fix my boy until he’s at least 4-6 months.. I’m worried I’ll end up with more kittens.
I try to distract them with toys when I see them trying to nurse, but both me and my boyfriend work a lot so I’m sure they’re nursing while we’re not home. Mom has no problem just letting them do it. I figured she’d be sick of them at this point.

CAurora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are vets who will spay cats who are still nursing. You may want to call around.
I’ll have to call around then. They said that there were more potential risks with spaying a nursing cat, but she doesn’t seem like she’ll be letting go anytime soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
More blood vessels need to be tied off, but vets spay nursing cats frequently. The surgery takes a few minutes longer. My adopted stray was still nursing when I had her spayed when her kittens were 8 weeks old. She continued to nurse for months afterward because I kept her kittens. They were all fixed at 12 weeks.

Let us know what you find out. :)

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
I got my Mama cat spayed two weeks ago, kittens were 10wks old and still nursing and still are occasionally.
Anyways what my vet was telling me is with a nursing mama they do what is known as a flank spay (basically they go in from the side, instead of a typical spay where they go in mid-line tummy)
That way they stay clear of the mammary glands and actually he was saying there is no further risks unlike when you spay a cat in heat where there is extra blood flow to the uterus.
My mama cat was bk nursing the following day and the kittens have caused her incision no bother at all because of its location.
Do ask your vet what procedure they intend to do? Ring around a few. I would think they would opt for the flank (I'm in the UK and that seems pretty standard here)
I think if you wait much longer then there is a real risk mama is going to come into heat and the risk would be far greater then having the procedure.