Rescue Kitten Diagnosed With Coccidia

jamestim98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girlfriend and I recently adopted a kitten. He had persistent diarrhea and the shelter had prescribed Metronidazole. We were unable to get him into our vet immediately and after he did not improve we found a vet who could see him right away. She did a fecal test and found round worms and coccidia. She gave him medicine for worms and prescribed Albon for the coccidia. His diarrhea is persistent and frequently he has anal leakage. We have him quarantined in a bedroom. My question how effective have you found Albon to be and how long before we should begin seeing results? Thank you for your help. We are very stressed over this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I always found Albon to be very effective and fast acting, at least initially, although you have to finish the prescription. I would not hesitate to call the vet and update her about the ongoing issues. I have had lots of rescued kittens with coccidia and do not recall that it was much of an issue aside from getting them to the vet for the Albon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamestim98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info. It’s great to
that Albon has worked well for you. That makes me feel much better and more hopeful. We just started him on it last night, but I was just hoping to hear some first hand experience about it’s effectiveness and how quickly it works.

kysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our kitten had coccidia & was given Ponazuril 2 doses but a week apart. She tested negative later.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My son's 2 kittens both had coccidia this past April. They had Albon too. I had him give 1/4 t. of Jarrow S. Boullardi mixed into their food. This made a rapid difference. He gave this for 6 full weeks. At the 4 week recheck the coccidia was gone. Their diarrhea did persist for almost 2 weeks while on Albon. The hardest part was getting them to take the nasty med!

Good luck. I hope that the meds will start to work.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How's your kitty doing? I also suggest adding in the human supplement saccharomyeces boullardi as someone mentioned above. It's very helpful.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve had many rescues with it. The latest was a kitten that was in bad physical condition and eaten up with every kind of worm. She was half starved and covered with scratches. She also had a fever. She got worm meds and Albon. The Albon took two rounds to rid her of it and she had two rounds of worm meds. Of the kitties I’ve had with Coccidia, she was the sickest by far. She is now clear of all, including her wounds. The Albon helps the loose stools pretty quickly. You did great by isolating him until he is healthy and he is clear of it. Thanks for rescuing him and taking such good care of him. Left untreated it can be bad for kittens since it dehydrates and depletes their system. You saved a life. He should be fine with this treatment. :clap2:
Welcome to the site too!!:welcomesign:
Please let us know how he is doing.

jamestim98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had many rescues with it. The latest was a kitten that was in bad physical condition and eaten up with every kind of worm. She was half starved and covered with scratches. She also had a fever. She got worm meds and Albon. The Albon took two rounds to rid her of it and she had two rounds of worm meds. Of the kitties I’ve had with Coccidia, she was the sickest by far. She is now clear of all, including her wounds. The Albon helps the loose stools pretty quickly. You did great by isolating him until he is healthy and he is clear of it. Thanks for rescuing him and taking such good care of him. Left untreated it can be bad for kittens since it dehydrates and depletes their system. You saved a life. He should be fine with this treatment. :clap2:
Welcome to the site too!!:welcomesign:
Please let us know how he is doing.
Thank you. We are on day 7 and he’s still having persistent diarrhea. I have a vet appointment Wednesday and I’m going to push for Ponazuril since us acts more quickly.

jamestim98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are really hoping for some improvement. We are now over 3 weeks of persistent diarrhea and this is really testing my girlfriend and my resolve. We both have very demanding jobs and this has taken a lot out of us.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just use toltrozuril from horseprerace, it works much better then albon imo but it's difficult to get down. I only needed a few doses per cat, some say you only need one but that wasn't the case for me.

jamestim98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How's your kitty doing? I also suggest adding in the human supplement saccharomyeces boullardi as someone mentioned above. It's very helpful.
He’s still having persistent diarrhea on day 7 of Albon. We really hoping for improvement. I have a vet appointment Wednesday when his prescription runs out. I plan to ask for
I just use toltrozuril from horseprerace, it works much better then albon imo but it's difficult to get down. I only needed a few doses per cat, some say you only need one but that wasn't the case for me.
Thank you for the suggestion!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I don't see improvement after 3 days, I always call the vet and ask for a different medication.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girlfriend and I recently adopted a kitten. He had persistent diarrhea and the shelter had prescribed Metronidazole. We were unable to get him into our vet immediately and after he did not improve we found a vet who could see him right away. She did a fecal test and found round worms and coccidia. She gave him medicine for worms and prescribed Albon for the coccidia. His diarrhea is persistent and frequently he has anal leakage. We have him quarantined in a bedroom. My question how effective have you found Albon to be and how long before we should begin seeing results? Thank you for your help. We are very stressed over this.
Our cat was prescribed Albon. Although she was not symptomatic upon being diagnosed for the coccidia, it did work to eradicate the parasite. She took it for 10 days (we hid it in her food per the vet recommendation - they split the pills into smaller pieces for us). The first few days her stool did become softer and we were told it was due to the parasite beginning to leave her body but by around 3/4 of a way or so through the course of the meds her stool started to firm up again.

Make sure to remove the poop quickly, do not leave it in the box for hours. This is a key component to making sure the cat does not reinfect itself.

We're going this weekend to get her vaccinated for rabies and will be bringing a stool sample to be sure the bug is gone but I expect it will be, as everything is looking normal now.

jamestim98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat was prescribed Albon. Although she was not symptomatic upon being diagnosed for the coccidia, it did work to eradicate the parasite. She took it for 10 days (we hid it in her food per the vet recommendation - they split the pills into smaller pieces for us). The first few days her stool did become softer and we were told it was due to the parasite beginning to leave her body but by around 3/4 of a way or so through the course of the meds her stool started to firm up again.

Make sure to remove the poop quickly, do not leave it in the box for hours. This is a key component to making sure the cat does not reinfect itself.

We're going this weekend to get her vaccinated for rabies and will be bringing a stool sample to be sure the bug is gone but I expect it will be, as everything is looking normal now.
It’s possible we can’t provide proper care for him then. I scoop as much as possible, but my girlfriend and I both have demanding jobs are are working 10 hour days. So we can’t scoop during the day. I scoop in the morning, when I get home from work and multiple times before bed. He completely fills up the litter box multiple times per day. We are getting very discouraged because we are medication #3 and nothing is helping.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It’s possible we can’t provide proper care for him then. I scoop as much as possible, but my girlfriend and I both have demanding jobs are are working 10 hour days. So we can’t scoop during the day. I scoop in the morning, when I get home from work and multiple times before bed. He completely fills up the litter box multiple times per day. We are getting very discouraged because we are medication #3 and nothing is helping.
Gosh, I'm so sorry that must be incredibly difficult. Can you provide an additional litter box, or 2 even? At least that way he's not stepping in one box filled with poo all day. I know it won't solve the problem for you but at least you won't have to worry about him possibly tracking feces over the area as much? I can't even imagine how awful this must be :vibes::hugs: