Rescue from abusive household bites super hard unprovoked

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Got a troubled one. Fostering a very sweet and wants-to-engage-lovingly older female (maybe 3-5 years) but she came from an abusive household (husband abusive to wife, kids, and most likely the cat as well) and while she wants to be super sweet and loves being held, she consistently, every time turns on a dime and will attack (hard, breaks skin).

I'm sure her behavior is directly related to the abusive male figure from her former household and I know to try to not react angrily. Doing so would only reinforce her fear. I'm assuming she was probably hit many many times during her life and so she's developed an instant reaction to protect herself, even when not provoked.

She atracks when petting, after putting her down after holding, when filling food or water dish, picking something up off the ground within her reach, even just taking a step near her. She's on a hair-trigger to attack no matter what the interaction is. She is just as aggressive towards female humans as she is with me. She hates other cats (but that's normal).

She's also super sweet and loves being held (upright against chest like a baby) and I know she could be an awesome cat if she could get this behavior worked out. While being held she purrs, drools and nurses. It's the putting down that's the tough part.

I've been in cat rescue and fostering for many years now and have had the full range of cat behaviors come through but I'm kinda stuck on this one. Internet is not much help yet (this isn't play-bites or love bites or even over-stimulation, it's fear-based).

I have a good bond with her and she has better stretches when the bites are less severe and I try very hard to form my reaction with empathy and understanding. I know it's not her fault.

Problem is, she's not adoptable and I don't know if she'll ever stop this behavior. I can't give her to animal services (I would never give them anything anyways) and I can't send her to a different rescue group or shelter. First bite and she'd be euthanized. Can't even integrate her into my feral colony for fear she'd be sweet to someone or worse, some kid, and then bite them. Another instant euthanization. Plus could spell disaster for the other cats in the colony because of irate humans.

She's a very special, lonely, scared soul and could be such a wonderful cat.

I'm just out of good ideas atm.

Suggestions? Links? Resources?

TIA,
-Art
20210331_150442_crop_63.jpg

Last edited:

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Patience. Often a breakthrough comes when we stop challenging. Time is a wonderful soil to grow in. Stop challenging her; only touch etc in the ways you know she is totally happy with, and wait. I am seeing this with the inbred wee feral here. I stopped everything except feeding, talking. Suddenly that has allowed him to grow at HIS pace and the last two days he is looking AT me rather than avoiding. If being held causes stress as is happening? Do you need to hold her? Poor girl has had a terrible time. Needs total peace.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, let me say that, unless there is an underlying neurological problem (which I doubt), cats do not attack with provocation. The problem is that we do not recognize what is provoking a particular cat, and why. Although I'm dead certain that you are correct, and that this has its roots in the abuse she came from. You move wrong, set her down wrong, and suddenly she is back in that same situation and terrified for her life. YES, cats can have PTSD, and I believe that yours does. It can be treated with medication, and with the assistance of a good cat behaviorist with experence in feline PTSD.

And, what A Anchoress has said is very valid. Ignoring this cat may be a way to allow her to slowly decompress. Let all interactions be at her instigation, and keep them brief. Don't look into her eyes for long at a time. Slow and easy.

JosieBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Friends had a cat like this. She wanted affection but then would lash out terribly. I secretly started picking her up when no one was around and we’d dance a bit. I pretty quickly learned her signal to put her down before she got stressed and lashed out. Never held her for long and sometimes I just put her down before she indicated it was time.

My friends just nurtured her and did the same, watching for her to signal. Over time she became less aggressive. She’s now very happy and sweet most of the time. And when I visit she is always happy to see me and sometimes I pick her up and we dance like the old days.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am blessed with cats who love contact. Rare is the time - and I am much abed - that there is not a furry abed with me. And yes, letting them make the pace always is respect and the key. It took literally years of quiet feeding for the badly abused one to even look up at me. He does now and has lovely eyes

JosieBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend’s cat was rescued from a known drug house and they suspected she had been exposed to drugs that caused some of her problems along with likely abuse. She was very thin and always ravenous for years. Then one day something shifted and her shape changed. Time really does heal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Patience. Often a breakthrough comes when we stop challenging. Time is a wonderful soil to grow in. Stop challenging her; only touch etc in the ways you know she is totally happy with, and wait. I am seeing this with the inbred wee feral here. I stopped everything except feeding, talking. Suddenly that has allowed him to grow at HIS pace and the last two days he is looking AT me rather than avoiding. If being held causes stress as is happening? Do you need to hold her? Poor girl has had a terrible time. Needs total peace.
No, the holding isn't the issue. In fact, that's her favorite thing. And yes, I'm totally with you on the patience and their own time thing. I've got cats in my colony who took three years before I could pet them.

This one is very different from all the others I've worked with/tamed. It's not just the sudden atrack while petting or getting too close to food. This is sudden attack with EVERYTHING and anything. Which is why my theory is she has been so traumatized by her previous situation that she is automatically in fight to defend mode, no matter what's happened. I know she wants to break the habit. She'll be a wonderful cat if she can. A lot of personality. Just so much trauma built up inside her 😞

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, let me say that, unless there is an underlying neurological problem (which I doubt), cats do not attack with provocation. The problem is that we do not recognize what is provoking a particular cat, and why. Although I'm dead certain that you are correct, and that this has its roots in the abuse she came from. You move wrong, set her down wrong, and suddenly she is back in that same situation and terrified for her life. YES, cats can have PTSD, and I believe that yours does. It can be treated with medication, and with the assistance of a good cat behaviorist with experence in feline PTSD.

And, what A Anchoress has said is very valid. Ignoring this cat may be a way to allow her to slowly decompress. Let all interactions be at her instigation, and keep them brief. Don't look into her eyes for long at a time. Slow and easy.
Yes, totally. Trust me, it is ALL at her instigation and prerogative, mostly. I could see that from the very outset -- and she reminds me of course :)

I'm interested in your PTSD argument. It was obvious that's what going on with her, I just didn't know it was medically recognized for cats. And yes, definitely hoping to find someone who has direct experience with this. I have lots, just not at this particular level/skillset.

Thanks for the suggestion 👍

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes definitely see if you can find someone experienced in cats with PTSD! I'm not sure myself how well recognized it is in the veterinary world but it's clearly a thing.

It sounds to me from the variety of situations this occurs in that there's more than one trigger and it seems likely that in the previous home the abuse may not have been predictable to the poor thing. He may have become upset and taken it out on the cat, no matter what the cat was doing at that moment. So anything that seems a sudden movement or change on situation could be triggering.

What really stands out to me is the aggression when putting down food and water. And also it sounds like she likes to be held but may have a problem once put down, and I wonder what it is about that scenario is a problem. Have you started a journal to document the specifics of what happens just before each instance? Like when you are petting if there's any specific spot being pet, or way you were approaching her to pet, etc. Bending down seems to be a common thread in many of these scenarios. Writing at all down may help with finding a pattern and finding ways to approach her while she builds her confidence.

Does she attack when put down onto the top of a cat tree or other high place or is it when she is pit down onto the floor (and you're inevitability bent over her?) Does she react the same when bending over at the waist vs if you squatted down at the knees?

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He may have become upset and taken it out on the cat, no matter what the cat was doing at that moment
According to neighbors, he took it out on everyone in his family, but yeah, that's a very good point. He may have been totally unpredictable. Some humans....

Have you started a journal to document the specifics of what happens just before each instance?
Definitely have one running in my head and taking close observations on possible triggers.

Regarding putting down, the aggression is the same if I put her down at chest height or on the ground. I think she us expecting to get hit, so she triggers into fight back.

I make sure to move in a way that I make sure she's aware of what I'm doing (ie no sudden or unexpected movements). Regarding food, that one's a rather normal one for some cats, although I suspect her reasons are still all about her protecting herself physically and it doesn't have to do with the normal possessive behavior associated with food/water attacks.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It has been my experience that those who abuse the helpless will abuse ALL of the helpless. I"m betting that the cat came in for her share of it, even if is was most random, unpredictable kicks. Poor baby.

And you are angels for taking her on. Just a thought...do spend some time sitting quietly on the floor, reading aloud or talking quietly, and without making eye contact. This presents you in a very nonthreatening manner to cats, and can help them become comfortable with your standing self...which has to look threatening to an animal so much shorter than we are!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one is very different from all the others I've worked with/tamed. It's not just the sudden atrack while petting or getting too close to food. This is sudden attack with EVERYTHING and anything. Which is why my theory is she has been so traumatized by her previous situation that she is automatically in fight to defend mode, no matter what's happened. I know she wants to break the habit. She'll be a wonderful cat if she can. A lot of personality. Just so much trauma built up inside her
Been there with a cat that was abused and turned aggressive and defensive. I would get attacked even when I made eye contact or if I lifted my arm with something in my hand or picked up something that looked like a stick.And it was a kill or be killed attack.
I removed any interaction with the cat except at mealtimes for a few weeks and always left the cat slightly hungry after mealtimes, a cat with its hungry belly on its mind will be less concerned about other things..you dealing with ferals would be aware of that.
Also if the cat bit or clawed I acted like it had no effect on me at all, no raised voice , no sudden pulling away and no eye contact, I convinced the cat the attacks were total waste of time and the cat had to find another way to signal his displeasure..worked but man it hurt like hell a few times. Cats will attack..pause for a second to see if you react and if you do it attacks again because it knows it now has the upper hand.

Sounds like with the picking up and putting down she has been picked up and thrown, maybe try picking her up and putting her down on a table top with her food bowl under nose or some treats on the table so the putting down is met with a reward and no threat. Maybe do this every mealtime?
Sometimes if you remove one trigger the others get less or go so might be a place to start.
I might not be correct here but I would say she gives absolutely no signal she is going to attack?? If so I would say she is on edge the whole time looking for a reason or excuse to go defensive.. I would keep going the way you are going looking for triggers and removing them and keep the touching and handling to a minimum as A Anchoress said, and if she comes to you for cuddles dont lift your hand to pet, let her do the hard work.
With mine I went a bit radical and when i walked past him would yell boo and make him jump then drop a treat in front of his nose and walk on...he soon got bored with it and would just get a dirty look then .."Wheres my treat?" It removed his loud noise and raised voice trigger quite successfully.
Anyway keep us informed on progress and good luck and be patient..the challenging ones usually turn out the best cats ever.

Last edited:

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

So, I've figured out at least something to make forward progress. Any time I interact with her I don thick leather work gloves and a thick leather motorcycle jacket (with thick hoody underneath). This way she can bite all she wants and I won't ever need to react negatively.

So far, this arrangement has allowed for a lot of good progress, for both of us. She still bites but at least I can pick her up, pet her and treat her like a normal cat without being afraid of the inevitable bite. This allows me to not react in anger. Allows me to remain calm and tell her it's okay.

She gets excited when I start putting on my "armor".

Fingers crossed :happycat:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe some "Jackson Galaxy " YouTube video's can provide some answers on how too correct kitty's anger.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so moved by how much time and effort you are putting into this. My Zorro was a biter and slasher, more so than most kittens (hence the name). Got so visitors stopped coming. We figured it was due either to being the runt, and/or maybe really having to fight his barn cat way onto whatever teat he could….barn cats can have it rough. I agree w/ Marmany & others…patience is the key, and talking to the cat really does mean a lot, in low soothing tones, not even approaching, just, talking. Let them come to you, if they want. Clearly you sense this cat has an inner sweet spot that just needs to be nurtured, and wants to be nurtured, and that just takes time…with us and Zorro, it took I have to say, at least 2 years. I think your gloves are a good idea as well…not to encourage biting, but to get it out of her system.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

So, I've figured out at least something to make forward progress. Any time I interact with her I don thick leather work gloves and a thick leather motorcycle jacket (with thick hoody underneath). This way she can bite all she wants and I won't ever need to react negatively.

So far, this arrangement has allowed for a lot of good progress, for both of us. She still bites but at least I can pick her up, pet her and treat her like a normal cat without being afraid of the inevitable bite. This allows me to not react in anger. Allows me to remain calm and tell her it's okay.

She gets excited when I start putting on my "armor".

Fingers crossed :happycat:

"She gets excited when I start putting on my 'armor'." - That's so sweet.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can have PTS. Indy sometimes randomly freaks out usually after being startled by a noise. About two weeks ago she was curled up on my lap purring and happy when a bird flew out of the bush outside and the branch scraped the side of the house. It was like she was a totally different animal her heart was racing, eyes wide, fur raised and she turned around and bit my hand. I have scars now from the bite.

She was born feral and I think witnessed her siblings get killed by coyotes. At least that's what the organization I adopted her from said. She is the sweetest cat and loves to be cuddled and loved but loud noises especially things scratching or tapping the house seem to be a trigger for her. I think she remembers the attack and the noises remind her of it.

I understand that she doesn't mean to hurt me, it's just part of who she is.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fostering a very sweet and wants-to-engage-lovingly older female (maybe 3-5 years) but she came from an abusive household (husband abusive to wife, kids, and most likely the cat as well) and while she wants to be super sweet and loves being held, she consistently, every time turns on a dime and will attack (hard, breaks skin).
Just some commentary, here...

I propose that there are two forces at play in situations like this:

As you say, if the head of a family is abusive, others may be too. The husband gets abusive with the mother. The mother might treat the kids harshly (knowingly or unconsciously) then the kids might treat the cat badly. As the saying goes, "S#it rolls downhill..." :(

Second, people who are like that often don't know how to treat cats, in the first place. They often get a pet, a dog or a cat, to pacify the kids and don't supervise the kids in taking care of it. The kids treat the pet harshly because they don't know any better and are never taught how to properly treat a pet, be it dog or cat. Plus, as above, things roll downhill. The cat, being at the bottom of the pecking order, takes the brunt.

Would I call this abuse? Yes and no... The cat has a home. It gets fed and taken to the vet. (Ostensibly.) However, the cat isn't treated with the kindness and care that it ought to be. The cat might not get physically abused in the classical sense but I would certainly say it's subject to "Systemic Abuse." Systemic abuse can be worse than classic, physical abuse.

To summarize all of this, you could say, "You can't treat a cat like a dog."

So... It's my suggestion that, to use that saying, you've got a cat that's been treated like a dog. She's probably never been treated the way a cat should be. In order to deal with her and, hopefully, rehabilitate her, you're going to have to get her used to being treated like a cat, again.

Being a "Cat Rehabilitation Specialist" ;) you probably know this. Like I said, just making commentary.

I like your idea of using "body armor." :) Hopefully, it will allow you to treat a cat like the way a cat should be treated so that you can teach her proper cat manners again. :)