Rescue cat won't let us hold/carry him

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When he first moved in, he would barely let us pet around his ears. He is slowly starting to trust us more; now he gets belly rubs, and he will even sit on my lap for a minute to get attention.

But, he won't let me hold him, and he doesn't like his paws touched. Tonight while playing with a fishing pole toy, he got the string wrapped around his arm. I had to remove it . He let me, but he was uncomfortable. He doesn't even think about letting me pick him up.

Is this something that comes with time? I know he trusts us more, but I don't know how much to expect his personality to change. Is there anything I can do to specifically bond with him though touching? I already brush his hair every night, and he gives me about five minutes as long as I don't smother him.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats, even if they were raised with people as kittens, just generally don't like being touched or held. Some may come with time, some more tolerance of it may come with time and positive association, but it's no guarantee he'll ever he content being held or petted too much or too long. I think things like this, it's best to go in with no expectations of each individual cat and just let them open up on their terms. Some cats may surprise you and pull a complete 180 and some may mellow out, but still choose to enjoy your company more or less from afar.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is one area where it's really up to each cat's personality.  My Noodles can be very grumpy or very loving; it just has to be on her terms.  She's not a fan of being picked up and carried; but she will come and sit on my lap sometimes.  

Actually; most of my cats have not cared for being carried.  Even Mooch; who has to be on me whenever she can, doesn't like it if I carry her.  

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to get your hopes up, but sometimes it is how you try to hold them. Both my present and last kitty did not like to be held however when I picked them up and allowed them to kinda flop over my shoulder they liked it or at least they tolerate it for a bit. I support their bottom  and their head is over my shoulder and body pressed against mine. My vet calls them "shoulder kitties".

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's usually a personality trait, just like you have people who tend to hug, kiss, etc. and others who maintain their personal space. Our last cat wouldn't let anybody but me pick him up and didn't like to be carried around. Mogli likes being carried, bounced or rocked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was what I suspected. Thanks for the replies! My main concern is being able to put him the carrier for the vet, and also carrying him away from danger if something happened. I don't want it to be a fiasco every time I grab him.

Slycat, I definitely need a plan on how to hold him. He is a huge cat, as big as my torso, and I imagine it would be uncomfortable to feel like you're about to get dropped.

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link! We had started with what we called carrier rehab for vet visits -- good to know we were on the right track. I hadn't thought of some of the other things she mentioned.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ruby, my 3-ish year old shelter cat, who I've had for almost a year, doesn't like to be picked up or held or restrained.  Even putting my arms around her will cause her to squirm away.  However, she is very friendly and curls up in my lap for naps all the time.

Getting her in her carrier for vet visits is torture for both of us.  I want to take her for her year checkup next month, but know it won't be pleasant for either of us.

I'd love it if some day she'll learn to like (trust) being picked up, but I wonder if it's from being out on the street for however long she was that makes her uncomfortable.  Or maybe it's just her personality.

She also doesn't like having her paws touched, however, she is getting better with that and I did manage to trim her nails last month.  As they are starting to get sharp again, I hope it will be as easy this time around.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats liked being picked up.
My siamese is very easy to get into the cage. I have to take Blighty for his jabs and I can't make an appointment. It'll be when we'll manageb to

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ruby, that's how my cat is. Very hesitant to be held in any way. He does a lot of what we call drive-by petting.

Stew, I hear you on the struggle. We are working hard to rehab him to a carrier.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him into the cage..luckily he doesn't bite or scratch.
In the videob she said tovsaturatebvcawith feliway spray. Wdoescage.meanb saturate. Won'tbitbeb too much forb the cat.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that's garble.
She said to saturate the cage with feliway spray. What does she mean saturate. I've gotfeliway spray but have never had to use it so to.get him into the cage how much do i spray.for him to.feelvcomfortable.
advice please.