Rescue Cat Wants Outside!

J. A. Vann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 yrs. ago we rescued at sweet rust color Tiger strip cat who was 5 yrs at the time! He had been a street cat but was also abandoned when his owners moved! He fit in really nice & gets along with my other 2 cats. He’s very shy & submissive & he’s been coming along nicely! It’s just taking him a long time to get use to being a strictly house cats, which is what we want plus the Animal
rescue insisted on it, no problem!
But...he got out through a slightly open screen door went down the steps & under our deck! He couldn’t have been out for more than 4 or 5 minutes...I was almost right behind him! I got him back in, now
he’s pacing back & forth under the windows, scratching on the windows trying to get out again! Any one have this experience? Is this going to take another 3 yrs for him to settle down again? He wasn’t this bad when we got him but he did want out most of the time, which he didn’t get! This is the very first time I’ve ever had one of my cats even try to get out of the house!
I think I’m more upset than the cat is over this! Any suggestions?
Thank you all!!

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww what a good cat mom you are. I understand how you feel. Is a outdoor catio a option? Or maybe one for just the window(I wish I saved the link, but I saw one that was basically a sturdy box with wire for the sides and and top that is designed to side outside the window for them enjoy).

Aside from that, you could try growing some cat grass or even catnip inside, or maybe bring in some things from outside for him to smell. Think twigs on the ground, rocks, even cat safe flowers. Either way I hope he calms down soon!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so lucky that my adopted, former stray, Ruby, has never shown any interest in going outside. If she did, I'd be exactly like you, trying to figure out ways to discourage that desire.

Here's a TCS article that might have some tips to help you encourage him to want to stay inside.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Good luck.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've had a few cats that want to go out and I firmly say "No, sorry honey" and get a fun wand toy and give them a good play session. Timmer used to go to the door and stand on his hind legs and paw at the door. I'd just pick him up and give him some lovin and that outdoors was forgotten...for awhile.