Replacing Scratching Post

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How often does a scratching post need to be replaced?  I've noticed my kitties scratching the furniture more often lately so I inspected their post and it seems quite worn.  Pepper, my male, tried it this morning but his claws seemed to glide through the fluff so he got bored.  I have turned it so the less-used side is facing outward for now but I think the post is near done.  I have a hard time finding a decent post that is not too expensive.  Our current one retails for about 30 dollars. (it has a feather toy hanging on either side).

This post lasted not quite a year.  Is this common?  I've been very happy with how much my kitties were using it and I don't want them to lose the habit.  Are there ways to encourage them to use a new post?  For instance, are catnip sprays available/safe?

Thanks

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would probably be a better idea to buy a more expensive scratching post. More expensive ones will last longer. You can sometimes recarpet an old post or get new sisel to put over it to give it new life. This is easier to do if the post itself is good quality. Catnip and catnip sprays are good for introducing new posts.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say a year is pretty good for a $30 post! I like the ones that are natural logs with sisal, because if the sisal goes bad you can easily buy new rope and fix it up yourself. 

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I highly, highly recommend the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post!  It's typically around $40, and it lasts forever.  It's also taller, which is great if you have a bigger/longer kitty.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I highly, highly recommend the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post!  It's typically around $40, and it lasts forever.  It's also taller, which is great if you have a bigger/longer kitty.
Yes, this is a good one!

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Smart Cat post is great, tall & sturdy, except for one teensy problem:  my cats don't care to scratch on it.  I think it's because the ridges are vertical rather than horizontal, which is what my cats seem to prefer.  Moral:  stick to what your kitties like.

The Molly and Friends cat tower I got a few months ago has been a big hit with my cats.  It's very sturdy and has multiple scratching surfaces, all of which are getting used.  It would be 10 years before it became more cost effective than a $30 scratching post that lasts a year, but it might just be worth considering.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I second that! We have the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post, and our cat love getting a good tall vertical stretch from this very tall and sturdy scratcher. And it's only $35 and change right now w/ free shipping?! HERE. That's a steal. With tax, we paid over $50. 

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I second that! We have the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post, and our cat love getting a good tall vertical stretch from this very tall and sturdy scratcher. And it's only $35 and change right now w/ free shipping?! HERE. That's a steal. With tax, we paid over $50. 
Yup, a great price!  Petco also currently has it on sale, and the price comes out to be about the same after the 15% online discount (valid until midnight tomorrow 4/27).

I currently have two of these in my home. and my cats love them!