Repeating Rectal Prolapse

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I can share the photos that I took here if that's helpful or wanted for reference. Just let me know.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Time for some great news! <3 The vet just called with an update. Cosmos' x ray showed that he did have a back up of poop. His sutures were removed along with the main piece of poop. He was given a partial enema and is now feeling much better. He doesn't growl when touched and is comfortable. The vet also did a rectal exam while he was sedated. She said there wasn't any sign of prolapse, and the rectal walls feel smooth, free of growths and obstructions. There was some blood on her glove afterwards though. She said that could be from the straining or inflammation. Tomorrow's ultrasound will provide more info w/r/t the latter.

His blood work was positive as well. Everything is good except for some very mild anemia, which makes sense since he's been losing small spots of blood since November thanks to the Clostridium. The blood work will be done again tomorrow to see if things change. I'm SO glad and relieved that Cosmos has received such a positive report! Fingers crossed that the ultrasound will show that his insides are also good and normal!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is wonderful news. I'm sure HE is feeling better too,just not always feeling like he has to poop and not being able to. I know how relieved you are at this point. I'm guessing the Vet doesn't still think there is a tumor or growth, so the Ultra Sound is at this point really for your piece of mind?

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he's feeling much better now. <3 The ultrasound is to check the rest of the colon since we still dont know for sure that the blood he kept having on his bottom since November was from the Clostridium or a growth further inside. I called this morning to check in and the technician said Cosmos is comfortable and doing well. No straining and no prolapse. His ultrasound will be done at some point this afternoon.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cosmos is back home now. <3 The ultrasound results said there aren't any tumors, thank goodness! His colon is inflamed though. He's continuing the course of Tylosin, finishing the Prednisone, and will continue having Restoralax. He pooped this evening and his insides stayed where they were supposed to be. :hyper::yess:

The colitis isn't a surprise, since that's what clostridium causes. Maddeningly though, the doctor didn't mention C Perf at all. Instead she wants Cosmos to stop eating raw food and go onto Hills Science Diet hydrolyzed canned food. Cosmos has been eating raw for the vast majority of his life (he'll be 6 yrs old in May). It doesn't make sense for his food to suddenly cause colitis out of the blue, conveniently at the same time as his PCR test results came back positive for C Perf. I will continue giving him S Boulardii twice a day and once he's finished with the antibiotics, I'm going to bring the vet a stool sample so they can send it out for another PCR test. If it still comes back positive for clostridium then it wouldn't make sense to change his food. If it comes back negative for it, then I'll accept that raw food is for some reason the issue. The fact that the vet didn't even suggest doing a food allergy trial is also ridiculous if she suspects food is the issue. It's exhausting and frustrating having to fight people who are supposed to be knowledgeable about feline health and nutrition who favor canned water blasted chicken liver molecules with corn syrup over feeding real whole food.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm SO happy things are going well now with Cosmos! You must be over the moon!

I'm not really surprised the Vet wants him off raw. Vets aren't really trained in nutrition, from what I understand. It took a lot to convince my Vet that raw was the way to go, but thankfully she is forward thinking and was finally convinced. And she always comments on their fur and how soft it is!

Yes, you can get a bad batch of meat, but same holds true for cat food. There have been many, many recalls. I'm guessing you'll do what you feel is best ;)

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I most certainly am and he's very happy to be back home as well! I also completely agree about vets not being trained in nutrition beyond what Hills and Royal Canin teach them in school. It really is a shame. It's like a doctor telling you to forego fresh produce and meats in favor of eating McDonalds every day instead. You're also completely right about canned food/kibble having recalls all the time, yet vets dont tell people to stop feeding canned/kibble.

Cosmos has been doing well so far. Happily eating his food and taking his meds/probiotics. He pooped twice yesterday w/o issue, though the last one had some blood on it. He just produced a smaller very soft poop (I'm guessing this one is from his raw food, as the previous two were much larger canned food poops from what he was eating at the hospital) and had a small prolapse with fresh blood. I went to get a cup of warm water to pour on it, since that's what the technician told me to do last time, but when I got back to the bathroom the prolapse had already gone back inside. It's curious that the giant canned food poops didn't produce a prolapse but the smaller poop did.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, Cosmos has prolapsed again. This time it isn't going back inside on its own, so he has to go back to the vet.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're back home now. Thankfully it went back inside while we were waiting for the vet who's been seeing him to arrive. Each time, its only been a short piece that comes out. Still less than half of the end of a finger. The doctor said I can mix a solution of sugar and water and pour it on the prolapse if it happens again. He also said I could put some Perpetration H on there. I'm leery of that last one since I'm afraid of putting a chemical on my cat. He said its great news that the prolapse is going back on its own though.

He also talked again about putting Cosmos on Hills Z/D rather than focusing on the Clostridium overgrowth. Though he at least go to the point where he said even if I dont give Cosmos Hills, I should try giving him only one protein and do a food trial. I am certainly willing to do that, much more so than feed him a food with corn syrup in it. I'll keep him on his current homemade food for now and once the course of Tylosin is over, we'll redo the PCR test. If the clostridium is gone and he's still having prolapses, then I'll do a food trial using raw rabbit since I have access to it ground, dressed, and as treats. My main concern with a trial is getting Cosmos to eat, as if I try to get him to eat the same thing for longer than a week he rejects and refuses it.

I also noticed the Jarrow S Boulardi has tapioca starch as one of the non medical ingredients. I'll switch him over to the Renew Life brand since that one doesn't have anything in it besides the Boulardii and the capsule (which he doesn't consume).

Thank you for following this whole thing and providing support MrsGreenJeans and FionasMom! I'll continue updating here as things happen. Cosmos is otherwise his normal happy self. <3

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, you must be exhausted from all this! I don't know that Preparation H is something to avoid, especially if the vet said it was okay, but I always worry about my cats licking anything. Unlike dogs, most cats will try to remove something unpleasant from their bodies. If you use it, don't get the wipes which have witch hazel in them and might burn. Sugar water will absorb the extra water in the prolapse and shrink it; also used for people.

Please let us know how you do with Cosmos.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I 100% am exhausted. I wish I could take a nap, but I have to work. At least my job is still letting folks work from home. Licking the Preparation H is my concern as well. Rofl, I wish there was a little pair of pants I could put on him to keep Cosmos from licking the Prep H. :flail: If he ends up needing some smeared on, then the cone will definitely have to go back on as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm just glad the prolapse went back in on it's own! Fingers crossed he gets completely healthy very soon :crossfingers:

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cosmos is doing very well now. He hasn't pooped yet so I dont know if he'll prolapse again. But he was chasing his sister this morning and playing for the first time since the initial prolapse happened. <3 His bottom looks like its back to normal. Fingers crossed it stays that way after he poops. I stopped using the pill pockets for his Tylosin on Tuesday and have instead been defrosting ice cube sized servings of Big Country Raw and hiding the medication that instead. I'm glad that's working as I didn't like the fact that those pill pockets contained wheat, corn, and whatever else in the ingredients list. Cosmos only had them for three of his Tylosin doses, but whole knows if those non-meat ingredients contributed to the colitis.

I'll update here again once he poops. All of my finger and toes are crossed that it wont involve a prolapse of any kind!

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cosmos had a normal, soft poop. There was a small prolapse but it went back on its own a few minutes after I brought him into the bathroom. I guess that will continue to happen until the inflammation heals. As long as it goes back on its own, we should be okay. I've ordered from Preparation H and it should arrive in the 29th. He has 2.5 days worth of Tylosin left, so there should be answers on the C Perf sometime next week.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good news that the prolapse fixed itself last night. Continued vibes on his full recovery :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

We'll be anxious to hear about the C Perf

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got more great news this morning! Cosmos pooped and there wasn't any prolapse at all! <3 <3 <3 There was fresh blood on his bottom though. It seems like the tapioca starch in the Jarrow S Boulardii was probably contributing to the inflammation, as ever since I switched to Renew the prolapses have become less and less until gone this morning. Cosmos was also taking the Jarrow version right before the initial prolapse happened. That's unfortunate since Jarrow seems to be the only S Boulardii brand that has MOS in it. He's also partially (he doesn't like it and only eats it once a day instead of twice) taking the Grey Wolf probiotic from the vet. That has MOS in it, but only 20mg. Cosmos is also quite well otherwise. He's sulking because the cone is back on, lol. All of the sore spots from his hospital stay have healed up nicely except for the shaved area where the IV was, due to him insisting on licking it. So to help that heal the cone is back on and some Veterycin wound spray is being applied 3x's a day.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:cheerleader::clap::cheerleader:Wonderful news.

Oh, and apparently Jarrow has more than one S. Boulardi with MOS because I found one at The Vitamin Shoppe and it does NOT show Tapioca Starch as one of the ingredients, plus the bottle looks different (doesn't say pro AND prebiotic on it). Of course, they are currently out of stock:frown:.