Renal Supplements

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used renal support supplements?
I ordered these off of Amazon but a little worried to give them to my Louie

He is showing signs of azotemia- high BUN and CREATININE levels due to Lasix dosage
We are trying to cut back his Lasix dose without compromising his HCM...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used renal support supplements?
I ordered these off of Amazon but a little worried to give them to my Louie

He is showing signs of azotemia- high BUN and CREATININE levels due to Lasix dosage
We are trying to cut back his Lasix dose without compromising his HCM...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry no one has responded before now. First I would like to ask if you have discussed this with your Vet. Any cat with HCM and possible kidney issues needs to be under regular vet care. I'm pretty sure you are cutting back on his Lasix with your Vet's approval, but if not, PLEASE discuss this with them before doing so. As far as kidney supplements, I've had three kidney cats, and what I found was that before they had their heath issues, they would gobble up renal treats (I tried them on all the cats when trying to get the sick one to eat them), but once kidney disease actually set in, they wouldn't eat them, mainly because with kidney disease, they don't really want to eat anymore. But that's probably not really what you want to know. You probably want to know if they work. On this website, which is all about chronic kidney disease, they discuss holistic treatments, and while they do not mention the specific product you are questioning, they do mention others, with some similar ingredients, so you might find it helpful: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Holistic Treatments (if you scroll a little past half way down that page, you'll see some Kidney Support products, that is what I'm talking about, but worth taking a look at that entire section, if not the entire website, IF your Vet thinks your little guy now has kidney disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for your reply!
His vet checked him 3 weeks ago and found the kidney values up a little
3.0 CREA
14 BUN/CREA
41 BUN

Which he told is slightly high and this is due to the high dose of
Lasix.
We are tapering him off 0.5 tabs at a time &
He just had lab work Sunday with some minor improvement.
I just wanted to see if giving him any renal supplements are worthwhile to support.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I say it probably can't hurt, but don't honestly know if they will help. If your Vet doesn't think any of the ingredients can hurt his HCM, then I'd probably try it, just because.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used Renadyl for our boy which is marketed for humans but also used for cats and dogs. Although it says to give whole, it actually can be mixed into food which is why we chose it as it was too difficult to pill him

Renadyl™ | Natural Supplement for Kidney Problems | KibowBiotech

Here's info on the difference between that and Azodyl which is formulated for cats (and dogs):

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment of Waste Product Regulation Problems

Obviously you'll want to speak to your vet before giving any supplement to your cat since they will know the specific needs of your pet.