renal failure

pappanorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone suggest dry or wet cat foods that will help prevent urinary tract disease?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pappanorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to find the best dry cat food to give my cats ( I have 13) My aim is to TRY to PREVENT urinary issues as the cats age. I am not aware of any of them having issues currently but some of the cats are 10+ years old.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The best prevention for urinary issues is moisture/water. Extra water dishes/water fountains (some even mimic a faucet if any of them would be enticed by that). If you could get your cats used to having water added to their dry food that would be helpful as well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to find the best dry cat food to give my cats ( I have 13) My aim is to TRY to PREVENT urinary issues as the cats age. I am not aware of any of them having issues currently but some of the cats are 10+ years old.
The best way to prevent urinary issues is to feed only or mostly canned food. Dry food is what causes many urinary issues in cats. There's more info about that at Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

With 13 cats an all canned food only diet is likely not feasible unless you have tons of money to spend. Offering just one or two canned meals a day to each cat is still beneficial. Some brands of canned foods are available in large 13 oz can sizes which makes feeding multiple cats affordable.

For cats who will not eat any canned food, encouraging water intake is best. Here's a TCS article: Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

For "best" dry food, you'll get a variety of opinions. Grain-free with little junk fillers is best. IMO urinary formulated dry foods don't do much and are sometimes worse in terms of ingredients and nutrition than regular dry food. Do you have any budget restrictions? Are you able to buy online if your local pet stores do not carry a particular brand?

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ice cubes in the water dish have encouraged my cats to drink well, as well as a fountain and a chill bowl, which is a huge stainless steel dish with a core that we freeze. You can also add warm water to their wet meals, and some cats will even eat their dry food with water added to it. My cats eat mainly wet food, but we feed Orijen dry.

pappanorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she have ckd?
CKD seems to be a common ailment and I am trying to avoid it. I know there are no guarantees, but I.m trying to provide better nutrition in the hopes that I can possibly prevent this condition

pappanorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The best prevention for urinary issues is moisture/water. Extra water dishes/water fountains (some even mimic a faucet if any of them would be enticed by that). If you could get your cats used to having water added to their dry food that would be helpful as well.
Thank You. Do you think bottled water would be better than tap water?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bottled water vs. tap water is probably just a preference issue more than anything else. If you drink your tap water, then it obviously is safe for your cats too. You could try both at different times and see if they prefer one over the other. If you have my kind of luck - some will like one of them, while others will prefer the opposite!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kidney disease is genetic in some cats so it doesn't matter what you feed or type of water.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank You. Do you think bottled water would be better than tap water?
Because my cat is in the early stages of ckd,I would not feed her tap water. Tap water can have bad minerals that a healthy cat could fight off. It is good you are planning ahead. Low carb,high protein, medium fat little to no starches, no high allergins like fish,meat first Ingredient, churu tubes or tiki sticks(almost 90%water), no tops on litter boxes. For adult cats especially the best kind are storage bins

Catfooddb.com