Removing loose hair without a brush

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there some sort of instrument or material that could be used to pet a cat down to remove already loose hair, that isn't a brush? I've tried at least half a dozen different brushes of varying types and my cats will not abide any of them without bribery and considerable angst.

She's a DSH so I am mostly just wanting to remove *visibly* loose hair in a way that the hair stays on the implement. She tolerates me petting her from neck to butt; it just seems like any stimulation from brush tips (even the gloves with little nubs) is too much. A cloth seems like it might work if it's the right material, but regular microfiber would build up too much static and cause shocks.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about a comb and just lightly running it through the fur? You don't need a pet specific comb. On another cat board, a regular comb meant for people works well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about a comb and just lightly running it through the fur? You don't need a pet specific comb. On another cat board, a regular comb meant for people works well.
Huh. Never even thought of that! I will try to run a comb at an angle so the teeth don't touch her skin.

How do you keep the hair from flying everywhere, though? Do you wet it? If so, do you wash it off in the sink then? Or how do you capture the loose hair? I have long hair myself (which gets wrapped around the teeth), so I've never actually faced this problem in my life before.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are gloves for brushing or after I give my cat a brush I use a wet towel
I bought a grooming brush but it has little nubs, like on a brush, and she was not amused. Is there a type of grooming brush that doesn't have numbs and is just designed to collect the hair? Or even just a material that attracts hair but doesn't cause static (like microfiber seems to)?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what all these brushes are that you have tried, so you may have already used a metal pronged brush like this (see pic below). Feeby is a short haired cat, tolerates this brush well, and it collects her hair instead of let it 'fly' everywhere.
If not that, how about a lint remover?

Attachments

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what all these brushes are that you have tried, so you may have already used a metal pronged brush like this (see pic below). Feeby is a short haired cat, tolerates this brush well, and it collects her hair instead of let it 'fly' everywhere.
If not that, how about a lint remover?
Sadly, she most especially hated the metal pronged brush (if I'm seeing the pic correctly the one with thin wire bristles). Total no go.

The one I use on a weekly basis is the Furminator, which is the best at capturing the hair, at least among those she does scream about at the first pass. She does not like the Furminator, but I bribe her to tolerate it with an Inabu Churu stick. But you can see her tail going the whole time and it's not fun for either of us. And then a day later, I see loose hair on her and think, there must be a way to just to wipe that off.

I've never thought of a lint brush. Might as well try!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do a couple passes with the slicker brush, then I wet (shake off any excess water) a regular brush with bristles and give her a quick once-over with it to pick up all the loose hair. I use a piece of paper towel to grab all the hair off, then a couple q-tips to gather any hair from between the bristle clusters.