Reminiscing About The Strangest Things

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my grandmother yesterday.

Just now, Mom and I talked about, of all things, ice cream. When my brothers and I were kids, Grandma always made sure to stock up on Klondike Bars and Flintstones Push-Ups. We never had those at home, so they became a "Grandma's house" thing.

She got me to try peanut butter ice cream. I wound up loving it so, after that, she always got a carton and a bottle of chocolate syrup.

It may sound silly to some, but the little things matter just as much as the big things.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Katie,it doesn't sound silly at all.She loved you and wanted to provide you with special little things.So sorry for your loss,hon.It's never easy to lose someone so special in your life.My Grandma passed away when I was 16...so 51 years ago.I still remember after all these years about the goodies she kept stocked in her freezer in the basement of their home.Good Humor strawberry shortcake bars!And my Grandpa had a coke cooler well stocked with coke.These things will stay with us forever I think.Sweet times in our lives.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My condolences. It's natural to recall funny or positive experiences when we lose somebody close; it's not at all strange to associate ice cream with your grandmother since it's something she made special for you.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss Katie M Katie M . Grandmothers are special people. I have some very special memories of my grandmother and those will always be there. Your memories will always be there, too. Enjoy them. :hugs:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My brother died unexpectedly in February. Last night I was thinking that I will have to make a lot less stuffing on Thanksgiving because he used to take a big pan of it home for himself.

I'm so sorry. :hugs:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not silly at all. It's the little thing's that count. Every time I smell bread I think of my mum and uncle Jo's mint ball's remind me of dad. I am sorry about your grandmother and I hope one day my grandchildren remember me for the little thing's. They are the best.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss. And I still reminisce about my Grandparents after 50 years and my Dad after 15 years. Just out of the blue something happens that reminds me of them. I heard from some sources that it's them saying hello and that brings me comfort.