Reminder about SENDING flowers

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All, 

Hopefully the majority of you have familiarized yourself with this absolutely critical list: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/174854/101-things-that-can-harm-your-cat (If you haven't please do so immediately). I know I have read it over and over again and keep all these things away from my cats/out of my house. But, for whatever reason I had never really thought to apply it to the flowers/plants that outsiders may send. 

After my Mom died a few weeks ago the inside of the house turned into the freaking botanical gardens. And, it was a heyday for the cat, Livvy, who weaved in and out of arrangements and stalked feet like she was back in the jungle. It was a couple of days before it hit me: almost every arrangement was full of Lillies, which are persona non grata in a house ruled by a feline. I spent the next few hours going through and either picking them out or throwing whole arrangements away. In the midst of all our grief we are incredibly lucky that we weren't stuck with a 3AM ER vet visit or worse, having to grieve the loss of yet another family member- especially to something so preventable.  

So, this is a reminder to not only double check any flowers or plants that may be sent to you, but to think twice about what you are sending to others if they have pets. Please, save them the hassle of having to sort through what can/cannot be in the house and ensure the arrangement that you paid so much for has a good long life on the counter and not in the trash! 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nicole, again I'm so sorry about your mom. :heart2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Thank goodness nothing happened with Livvy and those lilies! Gary's had a lot of bouts with hospitals, and people would send flowers. Sheldon will eat any greens and then throw up, so we always just give them to the neighbors. The thought is appreciated, of course. As a result, we send cards, not flowers, as we don't necessarily know who has cats.

But thanks for the important reminder!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a very important reminder, Nicole. People mean well, but often don't think about the potential risks to household pets.