Remembering my cat Mama.

QueenofWinter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first saw her, she was cowering in the corner of my sister’s bedroom. She wouldn’t let anyone touch her. She would hide anywhere she could fit. We found her hiding in the basement ceiling one day! Don’t ask me how she got there. It’s hard to believe this frightened kitty would become the love of my life. As time went on she began to explore the house more. She still didn’t like being around people, but she started to get used to us. She loved laying on my bed when I was at school. When I would come home, I’d be so tired I would fall asleep beside her. Somehow she became more trusting of me that way. She would sleep beside me. When we woke up, she would lay on top of me while I watched tv. I became her protector. She didn’t like strangers, so whenever people were visiting our home, I would stay with her in my room. Not only did I become fond of her, but she became fond of me as well. She didn’t show affection easily. But when she saw me, her eyes lit up and she would purr so loudly, you could hear her from across the room. She had 8 kittens before we had her fixed. But after she was fixed, something happened. She gradually gained weight. She became quite overweight in her final years. We fed her no more than our other cats, but she remained overweight. She was still acting like her normal self. But she became more lazy, and in need of my help. I would help her off and on to the couch. I’d carry her to the litter box. I even held a water bowl to her mouth ‘til my arm hurt. I did everything to make her life comfortable. And she appreciated it. Her favorite place was beside me on the couch. She would knead me as she lay there. She would look at me with nothing but love in her eyes. I’m sure all you cat lovers know the look of a totally happy cat. She was very happy.

We noticed, one day, that she was breathing rapidly. And she lost her appetite. We took her to the vet. They thought she had heart failure because they found liquid in her lungs. But they also believed she could’ve regurgitated liquid into her lungs due to her weight. They didn’t know for sure. They prescribed Lasix. She stayed on that for a few years. She was doing well and was still very happy. Then, last year, came some of the worst days of my life. She started breathing rapidly again. She lost her appetite. She refused to take her medicine. We took her to the vet multiple times. They didn’t know what was wrong. She was under enormous stress from all the trips to and from the vet. Remember she was a very frightened kitty and she hated leaving the house.

March 24th, 2019. She was still very sick. She wouldn’t eat. She was laying on the couch but couldn’t sleep. She struggled to breathe and kept changing positions. I sat with her and begged God not to take her from me. I stayed with her all night. Finally, in the morning, we decided we had to take her back to the vet. It was risky because every time we took her it caused her so much stress. She could barely breathe at this point. We got there. They took her to the back. Someone ran out to us and said she had collapsed and was now unconscious. They wanted to perform CPR. We obviously agreed to it. We waited. They came back and said she had a heartbeat, but things still didn’t look good. We waited again. The doctor came back, and shook her head. Mama had passed. I cried the rest of the day. It all happened so quickly. And the memory of her frightened face is burned into my mind. They believe she ultimately died of something called pickwickian syndrome. Her lungs couldn’t handle her weight and eventually she just couldn’t breathe enough to keep her going. You can’t imagine my guilt. I should’ve tried harder to help her lose weight. But it’s extremely difficult to get a cat to exercise when they just don’t want to.

Its been a year and 2 months since she passed away. And the pain is still unbearable. All the things I should’ve done weigh heavily on me. She relied on me to keep her safe and I feel like I failed her. I have always suffered from anxiety and depression. My cats are one of the few things that make me happy. She made me so happy. Even just the way she looked at me could make me feel better. No other cat looks at me the way she did. I feel like I’ve lost a piece of myself that I’ll never get back. She needed me as much as I needed her. I truly wonder if the pain ever ends.

We never knew her exact age. But she was probably between 14 - 16 years old. Rest In Peace, my beautiful girl.
79917CC4-7542-43DA-85F5-B063000856E9.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs:. It's only natural to feel guilty. I don't know of anyone here who hasn't felt that guilt, no matter the circumstances. Could I have done this, should I have done that? What's important is that you loved her and she loved you, and from what you described you both knew that about each other. She had a wonderful, long life because of you...never forget that.

In time, I hope you will think more of the special times you had together, that look in her eyes when you came into the room, how happy she was, rather than her final days. I lost my soul cat several years ago now, and I am able to think of him now with a smile, rather than a tear, even though he did take a piece of my heart with him when he left.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
You did nothing wrong, sometimes this is just the way that life plays out. She knows that you loved her and cared for her and one day when you meet again she will thank you for it.

Have you ever tried Holy Basil or the homeopathic remedy Ignatia Amara? They help with the anxiety, and the Ignatia can help relax your mind from the traumatic event. You might want to look into them, they worked wonders for me.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Mama, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

No, you did not fail her. In fact, you did all you could for her. And she knew, and knows that. She lived, breathed, and had her being in your love for her, and it was good. Now she is in That Place Where All Things Are Known, and her love for you has been purified and translated into Love. Be very sure that she has sent that Love back to you, to comfort you, until in the fullness of time, you meet again in joyous reunion. Her only sorrow now is your own sorrow, and the guilt that keeps you from feeling the Love that abides with you always. Embrace that Love, and let the guilt go. She is with you still.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guilt is a natural part of grief. To have guilt you must have intention. You carried no intention to bring harm to that girl, and she knew it. Mama only wanted one thing in life, and that was your love. She wanted someone to give her love to and she picked you. That sharing of love creates a bond so strong that nothing, not even death can tear it apart, "Death cannot take that which never dies". She will be forever a part of you, as near as your thoughts and prayers. She lived life the way she wanted, she was so very happy, she is at peace.
If you had been the first to go, you would have wanted her to go on into the future and seek happiness and the joys that being alive brings. You would not have wanted sadness and tears to be her life. She wants no less for you because that is love. No matter how badly we want it, we cannot change the past, we only have control over our present. That is how cats for thousands of years have lived, in the present.
Let her love bring peace to your heart, I know how hard this is, but dwelling on her end and on things that can never be, makes her beautiful life and her being a part of your own life somehow less prominent, less important. That can never be. She was in your life for a reason. Concentrate on the goodness she brought to your life, how happy she made you. Though she is no longer there to share it with you, she is a beautiful part of your past and so will always be a part of your life. Let her sweet memories bring you comfort, not pain. and open your heart to more love. Always different, because no two can never be the same, but something your soul needs to flourish and to let her own love grow and bloom. Don't hoard her love in a cold, grieving heart, but let the sunshine that love creates bring warmth and happiness back to that heart.
My heart goes out to you, I hope by offering this beautiful tribute to such a loving little soul it will honor that precious little girl, honor the love you two shared. Remembering and loving someone after they leave is the greatest honor anyone can bestow, bless you both for the love that created such passion. Take care of yourself, because you know how much pain losing a loved one brings, offer empathy to others who are going through the same. I have found that offering condolences to others has somehow brought peace to my own grieving heart.......RIP precious Mama. You will be so dearly missed, you will always have a secure place in a grieving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenofWinter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. I can’t tell you how much your words mean to me. Its been a long process, but I’m learning how to think about her without crying and feeling guilty. I just hope she understands that I did my best with her. I wish I could have a sign that she is ok wherever her spirit is now.

Whenever we were lying together on my bed and I attempted to read anything, she would stretch her paw over it preventing me from turning the page. One of the many reasons I loved her.
D08BD19A-C18B-4FA9-8550-72D08377CFA8.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They often do send a sign, my Chrissy left a single hair on my vanity every morning for a long time. It can be subtle, such as a rainbow or a falling star, but many times it is there if you talk to them.....