Remembering Krista

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are the little buggers.
View attachment 389758View attachment 389759View attachment 389760View attachment 389761
They look a little like bed bugs. But I think they’re too small. Also they don’t behave like bed bugs. I see them on the walls. But not in or near the bed. I see them during the day too. They didn’t look like fleas when I zoomed in on them. They also don’t behave like fleas. They climb the walls but they don’t hop. I was driving myself nuts on bugfinder websites. It wasn’t until I saw them all fat and happy in my corn based Worlds Best Cat Litter that it finally made sense what I was dealing with. Between removing their food source and the DE sandbox I created out of the litter enclosure, I believe their days are finally numbered.

I still have yet to adequately explain how I got fleas last year. Perhaps Krista came home with them from the vet. But more likely, I believe I may have picked them up on my creek trail runs. 🤦🏼‍♂️
That's them! They are running us ragged here. And yes, grains and dry goods are what they seem to love.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh bugs! When I used to live in Norcal in the summers the streets would be full of Turkish and Oriental Roaches. Thousands and thousands of them. They would breed in people's front lawns and would constantly get in the house. Something about the 100 degree weather attracted them I guess, but the whole Sacramento area is covered from 7PM until dawn. Moving to SoCal provided some much needed relief from them, but it also gave me my first encounter with fleas. Our old apartment complex was just covered in them and my vet told me that basically the whole city of Ventura had that issue. No matter what we did we couldn't get rid of them. Poor Po got the worst of it. He has super silky-soft hair and apparently the fleas just loved it. The only thing that finally worked were multiple (probably dangerous) medications from the vet's office and moving cities. I had moved the cats a couple weeks before while we were making sure the apartment was clean and OMG, I'm sure you all know but when there are no longer cats the fleas just SWARM you. I looked down one day while cleaning to about 100 on my feet! Luckily they didn't follow us to our new complex, although with that infestation I'm quite surprised they didn't. Sadly, as of recently we're starting to get some roach intruders from the neighbors. They're usually dead or dying by the time they enter our apartment, but with the problem getting worse I fear we may have to get an exterminator soon. I hesitate with that because of the chemicals, but sadly people here don't like to take their trash out and just leave it outside to rot....further escalating the problem. And to think all that and we're still paying 2200 for a 550 sqft one bedroom! I'm sure you understand that part though daftcat75 daftcat75 , living in the bay area. :disappointed:

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh bugs! When I used to live in Norcal in the summers the streets would be full of Turkish and Oriental Roaches. Thousands and thousands of them. They would breed in people's front lawns and would constantly get in the house. Something about the 100 degree weather attracted them I guess, but the whole Sacramento area is covered from 7PM until dawn. Moving to SoCal provided some much needed relief from them, but it also gave me my first encounter with fleas. Our old apartment complex was just covered in them and my vet told me that basically the whole city of Ventura had that issue. No matter what we did we couldn't get rid of them. Poor Po got the worst of it. He has super silky-soft hair and apparently the fleas just loved it. The only thing that finally worked were multiple (probably dangerous) medications from the vet's office and moving cities. I had moved the cats a couple weeks before while we were making sure the apartment was clean and OMG, I'm sure you all know but when there are no longer cats the fleas just SWARM you. I looked down one day while cleaning to about 100 on my feet! Luckily they didn't follow us to our new complex, although with that infestation I'm quite surprised they didn't. Sadly, as of recently we're starting to get some roach intruders from the neighbors. They're usually dead or dying by the time they enter our apartment, but with the problem getting worse I fear we may have to get an exterminator soon. I hesitate with that because of the chemicals, but sadly people here don't like to take their trash out and just leave it outside to rot....further escalating the problem. And to think all that and we're still paying 2200 for a 550 sqft one bedroom! I'm sure you understand that part though daftcat75 daftcat75 , living in the bay area. :disappointed:
Omg that’s awful! Yikes. This is why I now have such an aversion to carpeting, and so many of the homes and apartments here have them. I’ve learned that cats and carpets are a bad combination.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strangely enough (or perhaps not) there were no fleas in our Mojave house, ever. IDK whether it's because of the fact that we were at 4,100 ft., or the fact that we got snow and freezing temps in winter *or both* but no fleas in the house and no fleas in the barn compound either. I remember reading that there are none at Best Friends headquarters in Kanab, UT, either, which has very similar topography to the Mojave and is at 4,950 ft. They get colder winters and more snow than we did.
I looked up the Turkestan and Oriental cockroaches -- who knew there are so many kinds! In Jamaica, they call the American roaches "teenagers" because they're a lot smaller than THEIR brand. And here's what can be done with them:
Things have CHANGED in JA since I lived there.:running:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strangely enough (or perhaps not) there were no fleas in our Mojave house, ever. IDK whether it's because of the fact that we were at 4,100 ft., or the fact that we got snow and freezing temps in winter *or both* but no fleas in the house and no fleas in the barn compound either. I remember reading that there are none at Best Friends headquarters in Kanab, UT, either, which has very similar topography to the Mojave and is at 4,950 ft. They get colder winters and more snow than we did.
I looked up the Turkestan and Oriental cockroaches -- who knew there are so many kinds! In Jamaica, they call the American roaches "teenagers" because they're a lot smaller than THEIR brand. And here's what can be done with them:
[/URL]
Things have CHANGED in JA since I lived there.:running:
Sometimes I think about moving to New Zealand like last year when they had Covid effectively defeated while we were still arguing over masks. But I can’t do wetas! 🦗 Nope! I’d have to burn the whole island. 🌋

Didn’t see any of my beetle invaders this morning. 👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am fortunately living in a rent controlled apartment. And even more fortunate, the city enacted reasonable and effective rent control. Before that, the law said no more than a 15% rent increase per year. That’s not rent control. That’s permission to raise the rent 15% a year. And that’s what was happening. That was what drove me out of my last place into this one. Then rent control for older properties was passed by the city. And refined once more the next year. Now any apartment building that is three or more units and built or occupied before Sept 7, 1979 (not sure why that particular date) cannot raise the rent more than 5% a year. I can keep up with that. Last year I actually saw a rent decrease thanks to Covid. I pay a very reasonable (for the area) $2070/mo for 650 sq ft, 1 bedroom. (Market rate is $2500 to $3000 depending on how close you want to live to the big tech campuses.) It feels bigger than 650sqft because I made the big living room into my bedroom and converted the bedroom into a home office. I would not have lasted this long in lockdown if I hadn’t done that. We’ve been told to expect remote work to continue through 2021. The way the pandemic has been politicized, remote work may be a permanent option. They sent a survey to us last year and the most popular preference was 3 remote, 2 office days per week. Management said they are open to that. Whenever we do eventually return to the office. For now, it’s been incredibly refreshing to have a ten step commute to and from the office, regular hours, and being able to leave the office at the end of the day and not return until working hours in the morning.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am fortunately living in a rent controlled apartment. And even more fortunate, the city enacted reasonable and effective rent control. Before that, the law said no more than a 15% rent increase per year. That’s not rent control. That’s permission to raise the rent 15% a year. And that’s what was happening. That was what drove me out of my last place into this one. Then rent control for older properties was passed by the city. And refined once more the next year. Now any apartment building that is three or more units and built or occupied before Sept 7, 1979 (not sure why that particular date) cannot raise the rent more than 5% a year. I can keep up with that. Last year I actually saw a rent decrease thanks to Covid. I pay a very reasonable (for the area) $2070/mo for 650 sq ft, 1 bedroom. (Market rate is $2500 to $3000 depending on how close you want to live to the big tech campuses.) It feels bigger than 650sqft because I made the big living room into my bedroom and converted the bedroom into a home office. I would not have lasted this long in lockdown if I hadn’t done that. We’ve been told to expect remote work to continue through 2021. The way the pandemic has been politicized, remote work may be a permanent option. They sent a survey to us last year and the most popular preference was 3 remote, 2 office days per week. Management said they are open to that. Whenever we do eventually return to the office. For now, it’s been incredibly refreshing to have a ten step commute to and from the office, regular hours, and being able to leave the office at the end of the day and not return until working hours in the morning.
Palatial, compared to the 332 sq. ft. my (then) three cats and I spent a year living in (at top dollar I might add. And the LL took my deposit as well for some minor scratches on the armoire. Ex-hippie with an avaricious complex a mile wide.) But you coders make mega-bucks. I happen to have it on good authority. 😑
I'm pretty much a lifelong insect lover, but I'm with you on the wetas. Now those look like something out of a sci-fi/horror movie. Just pick one. Any one. And that particular one looks very angry. This insect wants war. He's not backing down. He's not retreating. And those jaws? Make a film about THOSE, too. *There's a public TV station with call letters WETA. NO relation, I'm sure.*
No, no, no, I won't go. New Zealand is safe from the likes of me.
As to the memes, it'd be impossible to pick a fave. They're all brilliant IMHO.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That an amazing price and size for the bay area! I'm glad they're doing that. I know on a recent ballot a rent control initiative was passed for all of CA for no more than a 5% increase per year, and while that's better than 15%, it still means rent increases 100 a year which is difficult to keep up with for us. Nonetheless I'll take what we can get :)

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Palatial, compared to the 332 sq. ft. my (then) three cats and I spent a year living in (at top dollar I might add. And the LL took my deposit as well for some minor scratches on the armoire. Ex-hippie with an avaricious complex a mile wide.) But you coders make mega-bucks. I happen to have it on good authority. 😑
I'm pretty much a lifelong insect lover, but I'm with you on the wetas. Now those look like something out of a sci-fi/horror movie. Just pick one. Any one. And that particular one looks very angry. This insect wants war. He's not backing down. He's not retreating. And those jaws? Make a film about THOSE, too. *There's a public TV station with call letters WETA. NO relation, I'm sure.*
No, no, no, I won't go. New Zealand is safe from the likes of me.
As to the memes, it'd be impossible to pick a fave. They're all brilliant IMHO.
I pick The Mist. Just giant and enlarged.
🤮

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whichever it is, it has too many limbs for me. I have a limit of four. (With apologies to 🐙🦑.)

It seems so does that cat. It didn't know where to begin with that guy. "Too many wiry appendages! I just want something meaty to bite into."
:angrycat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whichever it is, it has too many limbs for me. I have a limit of four. (With apologies to 🐙🦑.)

It seems so does that cat. It didn't know where to begin with that guy. "Too many wiry appendages! I just want something meaty to bite into."
:angrycat:
The JAWS. The SPINES. The arms-in-the-air AGGRO. No, weta. I'm not thinking of barging in on your territory. You can rest easy. This CATifornia girl is staying right here in the appropriately-nicknamed space.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm rooting for the cat. ✊

And the weta is still undefeated. 😿

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just hope the cat didn't get sick on this. The few times insects have ventured into this lair of Living Room Lions and gotten snapped up, puking follows shortly thereafter.
Worth it! 😹

If the videos prove anything, a regurgitated weta has to be far easier to manage than a live one.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
July 31, 2020:
So small. So frail. 😿 Still beautiful! 😻
BD97160A-0756-44CB-8B67-60E3A4B73F6C.jpeg
One of the hardest pictures to look at—she’s about 4 lbs or half the cat she used to be— and yet it’s the one that’s larger than life on my wall across from my desk.

Inspired by my aunt’s drawing, I got the source photo turned into a Shutterfly and added to her cutout corner in my office.
BFD0075A-77B0-4428-8194-FB4F2F510856.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
July 31, 2020:
So small. So frail. 😿 Still beautiful! 😻
View attachment 389955
One of the hardest pictures to look at—she’s about 4 lbs or half the cat she used to be— and yet it’s the one that’s larger than life on my wall across from my desk.

Inspired by my aunt’s drawing, I got the source photo turned into a Shutterfly and added to her cutout corner in my office.
View attachment 389956
All eyes, colors, and LOVE.:hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob::heartshape: