Remembering Krista

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And here she is a year later (and quite a bit skinnier)
May 18, 2020:
9BECA631-23C9-4A4C-85E1-4DB8A90830D6.jpeg C25EB797-2CCF-47AA-BDD3-5C2629BB68A2.jpeg
The time stamp on these are 7:35 pm. That means she just ate an hour ago. 🤦🏼‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was right in the middle of this sweet dream about tuna. Salmon. Chicken. Turkey. HUH??! :hearthrob: :kneading: :hearthrob:
In 2015, she knew nothing but Newman’s Own Organic Chicken and Salmon kibble. And many long weekends alone with a gravity feeder and an automatic litterbox. 😿 I was so ignorant back then. 🤦🏼‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 2015, she knew nothing but Newman’s Own Organic Chicken and Salmon kibble. And many long weekends alone with a gravity feeder and an automatic litterbox. 😿 I was so ignorant back then. 🤦🏼‍♂️
But she always knew you loved her. You can't know what you don't know. Ignorance isn't stupidity or thoughtlessness. We all live and learn, hopefully.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But she always knew you loved her. You can't know what you don't know. Ignorance isn't stupidity or thoughtlessness. We all live and learn, hopefully.
True. As awful as her senior struggles were, they taught me a lot about cat care and they deepened the bond between Krista and me. I always knew she was such a cool cat and very sweet. What I didn’t know was how strong, understanding, trusting, and loyal a cat could be. 😻

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True. As awful as her senior struggles were, they taught me a lot about cat care and they deepened the bond between Krista and me. I knew she was always a cool cat and very sweet. What I didn’t know was how strong, understanding, trusting, and loyal a cat could be. 😻
They teach us so much. And they give EVERYTHING. People who don't know cats miss out on all that unconditional loyalty and love. No one else delivers like CATS do.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True. As awful as her senior struggles were, they taught me a lot about cat care and they deepened the bond between Krista and me. I always knew she was such a cool cat and very sweet. What I didn’t know was how strong, understanding, trusting, and loyal a cat could be. 😻
Part of me feels like culturally, cats are still very much misunderstood as being weird, aloof, and associated with disloyalty. Many people expect cats to behave like dogs, and don’t understand that they have their own ways of showing love and trust.😏

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of me feels like culturally, cats are still very much misunderstood as being weird, aloof, and associated with disloyalty. Many people expect cats to behave like dogs, and don’t understand that they have their own ways of showing love and trust.😏
That's the mainstream media at work. In truth, though, cats are the nation's and the world's most beloved companions, with millions more cats in US homes than dogs. But if you watch TV and note how many ads have dogs in them/are geared to dog people, you see the picture. It's all about $$$. We need to counteract this, and I do, at every opportunity.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
😿
Ugh!

I got an email reminder from Wedgewood Pharmacy that a prescription of Krista's is expiring. 🤦‍♂️

I hated doing it. But I removed Krista from My Pets on Wedgewood so I won't get any more emails. 😿

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
😿
Ugh!

I got an email reminder from Wedgewood Pharmacy that a prescription of Krista's is expiring. 🤦‍♂️

I hated doing it. But I removed Krista from My Pets on Wedgewood so I won't get any more emails. 😿
I've been through that kind of thing, too. After I moved, and our wonderful vet knew we were moving and why, we got a couple of cards for boosters and wellness checkups. It's not their fault -- at least I don't blame them, knowing how extremely busy they always are. But it is kind of wrenching.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This. But also this idea that because cats are more independent than dogs, that they are also low maintenance and even automatable. I figured she had food and water in gravity feeders and an automatic litterbox that she was good for at least a week. I thought nothing of filling up the feeders, giving her a few scritches goodbye, and taking off for a long weekend or a business trip without setting up any kind of sitter to check in on her. It wasn't until I switched her off dry to wet that a sitter even became a consideration. And it wasn't until I set up the barf and poop camera network in my apartment that I realized she actually did not spend as much time sleeping as I thought she did. She clearly missed me. On at least one trip, neither of us slept very well because every time I woke from broken sleep and checked on her, she was sitting on the bench looking at the door, waiting for me to come home. It didn't matter if it was 4pm or 4am.

Honestly, knowing how much effort really goes into keeping a cat happy and well cared for is what has me hesitating on the next one. I know I want another cat. And probably sooner than later. But it's been therapeutic to not have cat demands or cat schedules to adhere to for the first time in years. (I don't know how beholden to the cat's demands and schedules I felt was before her senior struggles emerged.) I'm thinking I would love to wait out the state and see what things look like after June 15 when California is scheduled to abandon the color tiers of business closures and capacities. I want to go down to the shelter and meet cats in person. The thought of a Zoom adoption makes me very anxious.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This. But also this idea that because cats are more independent than dogs, that they are also low maintenance and even automatable. I figured she had food and water in gravity feeders and an automatic litterbox that she was good for at least a week. I thought nothing of filling up the feeders, giving her a few scritches goodbye, and taking off for a long weekend or a business trip without setting up any kind of sitter to check in on her. It wasn't until I switched her off dry to wet that a sitter even became a consideration. And it wasn't until I set up the barf and poop camera network in my apartment that I realized she actually did not spend as much time sleeping as I thought she did. She clearly missed me. On at least one trip, neither of us slept very well because every time I woke from broken sleep and checked on her, she was sitting on the bench looking at the door, waiting for me to come home. It didn't matter if it was 4pm or 4am.

Honestly, knowing how much effort really goes into keeping a cat happy and well cared for is what has me hesitating on the next one. I know I want another cat. And probably sooner than later. But it's been therapeutic to not have cat demands or cat schedules to adhere to for the first time in years. (I don't know how beholden to the cat's demands and schedules I felt was before her senior struggles emerged.) I'm thinking I would love to wait out the state and see what things look like after June 15 when California is scheduled to abandon the color tiers of business closures and capacities. I want to go down to the shelter and meet cats in person. The thought of a Zoom adoption makes me very anxious.
Life's an ongoing education, isn't it? A lot of it can be really painful. But we don't learn from having good times.
It's a really important thing, making a lifetime bond and commitment to someone. I'd want to meet NC in person, too. I've always met NCs in person because they have always found me. Except for Sammi, who was needing rehoming from friends of my roomies. This was a very elderly couple with health problems. Fortunately, my roomie knew me and knew how much I loved cats. She also knew I had had a loss recently and so it worked out perfectly. And Elvis, whose dad was marrying an allergic fiancee, and who knew a rescuer/adopter known by my oldest friend. That friend thought of me, again, because I had had a loss recently and because she knew the level of love and caring that Elvis would get if I accepted. Online is usually the way adoptions start now, or so I've been told. But that would be hard for me, because I love ALL cats and just looking at pictures/videos would just make me feel awful. I mean, which one do I adopt, leaving all the rest? That would probably be a choice I'd never be able to make.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Life's an ongoing education, isn't it? A lot of it can be really painful. But we don't learn from having good times.
It's a really important thing, making a lifetime bond and commitment to someone. I'd want to meet NC in person, too. I've always met NCs in person because they have always found me. Except for Sammi, who was needing rehoming from friends of my roomies. This was a very elderly couple with health problems. Fortunately, my roomie knew me and knew how much I loved cats. She also knew I had had a loss recently and so it worked out perfectly. And Elvis, whose dad was marrying an allergic fiancee, and who knew a rescuer/adopter known by my oldest friend. That friend thought of me, again, because I had had a loss recently and because she knew the level of love and caring that Elvis would get if I accepted. Online is usually the way adoptions start now, or so I've been told. But that would be hard for me, because I love ALL cats and just looking at pictures/videos would just make me feel awful. I mean, which one do I adopt, leaving all the rest? That would probably be a choice I'd never be able to make.
Cabbie came to me through a friend who was moving with his fiancee to a studio apartment in SF that did not allow cats. But I knew Cabbie very well as she basically adopted me as a summer boarder in my friend's place years prior. I was still allergic and cats being cats, she wanted to be with the one who wanted nothing to do with her. She curled up into my neck and I practically sneezed her across the room. Not quite. But I did place her among some boxes she was exploring earlier in the day. Five minutes later, I hear this pathetic kitten cry and I have to rescue her from a dresser that she got on top of but wasn't courageous enough to come down. We struck a deal. She could sleep at my side. I bore two weeks of miserable allergies and then I miraculously got over them. Cabbie always had a soft spot for me even when I came to visit after I had moved out. So that was a no-brainer when my friend had to rehome her. Though I knew many kitties in that house and the apartment I moved to, Cabbie was the first that I was responsible for. When she passed, my gf at the time only gave me a week or two to mourn before she said, "You're miserable since Cab passed. Let's get you a new cat for your birthday." That cat was Krista. She was the first cat I picked out for myself. Indeed, she was literally the first cat I picked out. When looking at the cages in the shelter, she was the first to engage me and clearly wanted to leave. The others seemed resigned to their fate and thus weren't selling themselves well. When I asked to meet with Krista, I was sold. Krista has always been more dog than cat when it came to people. She was all over me, brushing against me, getting in my lap, bunting me, all the good cat stuff in a friendly dog demeanor. There wasn't any saying "no" to her. It's a shock that she even ended up there or that someone else didn't adopt her ahead of me. I'm hoping to meet another dog-cat in the shelter. Or when it gets closer to NC ready time, I'll start following Instagram accounts of local fosters to see who is being groomed for a furever home.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cabbie came to me through a friend who was moving with his fiancee to a studio apartment in SF that did not allow cats. But I knew Cabbie very well as she basically adopted me as a summer boarder in my friend's place years prior. I was still allergic and cats being cats, she wanted to be with the one who wanted nothing to do with her. She curled up into my neck and I practically sneezed her across the room. Not quite. But I did place her among some boxes she was exploring earlier in the day. Five minutes later, I hear this pathetic kitten cry and I have to rescue her from a dresser that she got on top of but wasn't courageous enough to come down. We struck a deal. She could sleep at my side. I bore two weeks of miserable allergies and then I miraculously got over them. Cabbie always had a soft spot for me even when I came to visit after I had moved out. So that was a no-brainer when my friend had to rehome her. Though I knew many kitties in that house and the apartment I moved to, Cabbie was the first that I was responsible for. When she passed, my gf at the time only gave me a week or two to mourn before she said, "You're miserable since Cab passed. Let's get you a new cat for your birthday." That cat was Krista. She was the first cat I picked out for myself. Indeed, she was literally the first cat I picked out. When looking at the cages in the shelter, she was the first to engage me and clearly wanted to leave. The others seemed resigned to their fate and thus weren't selling themselves well. When I asked to meet with Krista, I was sold. Krista has always been more dog than cat when it came to people. She was all over me, brushing against me, getting in my lap, bunting me, all the good cat stuff in a friendly dog demeanor. There wasn't any saying "no" to her. It's a shock that she even ended up there or that someone else didn't adopt her ahead of me. I'm hoping to meet another dog-cat in the shelter. Or when it gets closer to NC ready time, I'll start following Instagram accounts of local fosters to see who is being groomed for a furever home.
In my life, I've always had amazing cat encounters. Maybe it's because I love all cats and know I will love any cat who finds me. IDK. But whatever the case, I'm hoping NC is like that for you. I do find that I love each cat more every day. Because our relationship deepens and I get to know their personalities more. Elvis is really amazing in that respect. He gets more affectionate every day! He's on my lap now, purring and giving me loving looks. Of course, part of it could be the fact that late a few nights ago, I woke up to him sitting in the window having a long conversation with someone. They were talking back and forth. I got up and looked out, and there was a white kitten dancing out there. She became aware of me and sashayed away. I would have thought it was a dream, but it wasn't. Since then, he's been calling for her in the window late at night. I advocate for cats to be safe indoors. But I also wish she'd come back, because he's lovesick. I have no idea who this cat is or where she lives.