Remembering Krista

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jan 16, 2019:
After 9 days, she’s coming home!

First, I must ready the place for a wobbly Krista who may need supervision, activity restriction, or even crating.

View attachment 366633View attachment 366634View attachment 366632

Krista inspected.
View attachment 366635
View attachment 366636

“Wait! What’s that you have?”
View attachment 366637

“I don’t need a crate or activity restriction.😻👍
View attachment 366638View attachment 366639
What IS that you have? Looks good! (Such a cute croissant and such an attentive assistant!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What IS that you have? Looks good! (Such a cute croissant and such an attentive assistant!)
Lox (smoked salmon) and cream cheese on a bagel. 😋

Her regular food for years was Chicken and Salmon kibble. So of course chicken and salmon were her two no-go proteins when her IBD started presenting. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

Probably better that way. She would be insufferable if I had to share my salmon with her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lox (smoked salmon) and cream cheese on a bagel. 😋

Her regular food for years was Chicken and Salmon kibble. So of course chicken and salmon were her two no-go proteins when her IBD started presenting. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

Probably better that way. She would be insufferable if I had to share my salmon with her.
I guessed right. Yum!
Yeah, some things are hard to share, even if it's the one you love who's asking.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jan 17, 2019:
So happy to be home. And not much use for that feeding tube either? 😋😹 I kept it in for medicine at this point. And it’s better to keep it in too long than to take it out too soon. I would give her just enough food by tube (5-10 mL?) to soften that medicine’s landing. She was a little impatient with the whole thing. Not so much fussy though. I definitely minded the tube more than she did. And the cap that kept flying off every time she shook her head. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I learned how to tape it to the tube. I kept spare caps that were halfway pre-taped to make for quick cap replacement without having to stop to find where she flung the old cap 😹 while her esophagus was open to the world. 🙀 Dealing with her feeding tube was equal parts science and comedy. She was such a good sport about it! 👍😻
7C648B5E-B4EA-4E07-866A-AB5406D95C0D.jpeg 94CCFA19-253F-4F7A-AF16-A147CF5A54F6.jpeg 9FE7FEB6-6C62-41AF-A45F-7C97EB03593B.jpeg 3C036874-8C92-46B9-B1C8-86C5A8629444.jpeg 5C1300D9-AE30-4210-8D66-B1C6B64B8854.jpeg 66CCA1DE-7E52-44B2-954D-2729B059C797.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jan 17, 2019:
So happy to be home. And not much use for that feeding tube either? 😋😹 I kept it in for medicine at this point. And it’s better to keep it in too long than to take it out too soon. I would give her just enough food by tube (5-10 mL?) to soften that medicine’s landing. She was a little impatient with the whole thing. Not so much fussy though. I definitely minded the tube more than she did. And the cap that kept flying off every time she shook her head. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I learned how to tape it to the tube. I kept spare caps that were halfway pre-taped to make for quick cap replacement without having to stop to find where she flung the old cap 😹 while her esophagus was open to the world. 🙀 Dealing with her feeding tube was equal parts science and comedy. She was such a good sport about it! 👍😻
View attachment 366789View attachment 366790View attachment 366791View attachment 366792View attachment 366793View attachment 366794
Good planning.
I like her leopard-print neckwarmer. I hope she did, too?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She taught me so much about the value of planning and preparation. And the usefulness of food scales. I just broke up a bag of frozen shrimp last night into single serving baggies to defrost the night before. Her raw feeding protocol taught me things. 👍
The leopard neck warmer was her Kitty Kollar. If you recall from last week, they had her neck wrapped in gauze and that stretchy bandage. Oh how she hated those soooo much. I had the Kitty Kollar overnighted to the vet’s. Thankfully I never had to dress her wound or change a bandage with those wraps. The Kitty Kollar was worth every penny of that overnight shipping.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She taught me so much about the value of planning and preparation. And the usefulness of food scales. I just broke up a bag of frozen shrimp last night into single serving baggies to defrost the night before. Her raw feeding protocol taught me things. 👍
The leopard neck warmer was her Kitty Kollar. If you recall from last week, they had her neck wrapped in gauze and that stretchy bandage. Oh how she hated those soooo much. I had the Kitty Kollar overnighted to the vet’s. Thankfully I never had to dress her wound or change a bandage with those wraps. The Kitty Kollar was worth every penny of that overnight shipping.
Yeah, anything that makes life easier is good, right? My roomie makes rice for a week and then bags it individually and freezes it. Then she nukes it and voila! I'm terrible on that, though -- I want my rice right out of the cooker when it's done, as I'm somewhat of a rice snob.
What a great collar. Krista knew she was a beauty and she didn't want to be seen in a plain old bandage.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In other news, it seems OC has chosen me to become a full time feeder. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I was trying to avoid that responsibility. But I guess I can only treat him so many times before he decides I’m a benevolent pushover for him. He’s been coming under the deck fence regularly now. I’m still not wanting to bring him inside full time. I’m still not wanting to be a cat parent and he’s still intact. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔
4F0D4105-8665-4E12-B934-C39BEABFD275.jpeg
He’ll have to wait several more months before I’m willing to drive him down to the shelter for a neuter. With the local Covid numbers being as high as they’ve ever been and the new more transmissible variants being found locally, I’m not risking my health for his. He’s done alright for himself this far. He can wait a bit longer. Hopefully I’ll get the vaccine in the summer (or sooner.). For now, that he will come inside and on to the countertop when I prepare his food gives me the opportunity to keep a close eye on his physical condition (robust!) and build the trust to eventually get him in a carrier when it’s safe to wait in line at an under-staffed/under-serving city shelter. Maybe other low cost clinics will re-open as vaccination becomes more widespread. Maybe we can get back to something approaching normal by the end of the summer. Just in time for the next seasonal surge. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks very comfortable curled up on her bed. Did she just play with her mouse there?
On my bed? Our bed? The black and white camera photo? Or in her carrier, the first photo?

Looking at her loaf posture and the down-tipped nose, I don’t know that she was in a playful mood at the time. Toys, more often than not, were left untouched by her at this time. She’s on the mend, but she still wasn’t feeling her best at this time. 😿

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In other news, it seems OC has chosen me to become a full time feeder. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I was trying to avoid that responsibility. But I guess I can only treat him so many times before he decides I’m a benevolent pushover for him. He’s been coming under the deck fence regularly now. I’m still not wanting to bring him inside full time. I’m still not wanting to be a cat parent and he’s still intact. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔
View attachment 367046
He’ll have to wait several more months before I’m willing to drive him down to the shelter for a neuter. With the local Covid numbers being as high as they’ve ever been and the new more transmissible variants being found locally, I’m not risking my health for his. He’s done alright for himself this far. He can wait a bit longer. Hopefully I’ll get the vaccine in the summer (or sooner.). For now, that he will come inside and on to the countertop when I prepare his food gives me the opportunity to keep a close eye on his physical condition (robust!) and build the trust to eventually get him in a carrier when it’s safe to wait in line at an under-staffed/under-serving city shelter. Maybe other low cost clinics will re-open as vaccination becomes more widespread. Maybe we can get back to something approaching normal by the end of the summer. Just in time for the next seasonal surge. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿
Thanking you. May OC continue to thrive and may you both be safe and well.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise