Remembering Krista

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw OC yesterday by the mailboxes. He was without a collar again. He looked well fed and his coat was in great shape. But he also appeared to be still intact. I gave him some scritches. But when I saw those furry balls back there, "nope! I'm not getting involved."

I just finished a week of cleaning cat pee out of the front room. I haven't even begun in the office. Though admittedly, any and all peeing in the office was done after I had a Bissell (or three!) There isn't nearly as much to do in the office as there was in the front room. Still. OC reminded me of a valuable lesson last time: if you don't want to get involved, then don't get involved!

He started to follow me back to my apartment. But he got distracted by a squirrel and I took my leave of him. I'm hoping that I saw him on the tail end of a fugitive streak and that he is hopefully once more home and collared like he should be.
YES.
*I do sometimes wonder what might happen if he was neutered. Just sayin'. I know you're not ready for another cat. And that you prefer female cats. Yes. I know all that.*

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw OC yesterday by the mailboxes. He was without a collar again. He looked well fed and his coat was in great shape. But he also appeared to be still intact. I gave him some scritches. But when I saw those furry balls back there, "nope! I'm not getting involved."

I just finished a week of cleaning cat pee out of the front room. I haven't even begun in the office. Though admittedly, any and all peeing in the office was done after I had a Bissell (or three!) There isn't nearly as much to do in the office as there was in the front room. Still. OC reminded me of a valuable lesson last time: if you don't want to get involved, then don't get involved!

He started to follow me back to my apartment. But he got distracted by a squirrel and I took my leave of him. I'm hoping that I saw him on the tail end of a fugitive streak and that he is hopefully once more home and collared like he should be.
Can I ask how you are cleaning the cat pee
My boy is very sick and we have several carpet accidents I am trying to attack

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heartfelt *PRAYERS* for your sweet boy!
I know you're not asking me, but I rely on Nature's Miracle-Just For Cats enzymatic cleaner, available at Petco, Petco.com, amazon, etc. Very good product.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I replied in your boy’s thread. I don’t want Krista’s tribute thread to go too sideways.

For others’ benefit, this is what I used:
Rocco & Roxie Supply Professional Strength Stain and Odor Eliminator, Enzyme-Powered Pet Odor and Stain Remover for Dogs and Cat Urine, Spot Carpet Cleaner for Small Animal. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKFL93K/?tag=thecatsite

It has a strong odor that will disappear when dry. But it would have been too strong for Krista in her final years. What I found that was reasonably effective yet gentle enough for Krista’s sensitive gut was a Pet Food Express exclusive product. If you’re in California and there’s a PFE near you, go check this stuff out. If you’re not, you’re out of luck. I don’t think they ship it. It looks like they are local delivery or store pickup only. 😔😿
Clean n' Smart Stain and Odor Remover – Unscented

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, I definitely recommend a Bissell upright wet vac and a Bissell handheld wet vac like the Pet Stain Eraser. I like their new pitch phrase in their commercials: “For whatever stage of pet parenthood you’re in, Bissell helps you live in the moment, not the mess.” When I could use one or the other to pick up a mess in a few minutes, it helped me stay present, patient, and loving with Krista rather than blaming her for her illnesses and messes. So yeah. Great job to their ad people. 👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, I definitely recommend a Bissell upright wet vac and a Bissell handheld wet vac like the Pet Stain Eraser. I like their new pitch phrase in their commercials: “For whatever stage of pet parenthood you’re in, Bissell helps you live in the moment, not the mess.” When I could use one or the other to pick up a mess in a few minutes, it helped me stay present, patient, and loving with Krista rather than blaming her for her illnesses and messes. So yeah. Great job to their ad people. 👍
Yes! The Bissell products are definitely essential when you live with cat(s).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Awww, c'mon, Dad! Be a sport. I only wanna try it!* :hearthrob: :kneading: :hearthrob: :heartshape:(And there's more than one kind of "productive," Krista knows.)
Her gentle persistence was so endearing. If that were OC, he would have jumped over everything, knocked everything over in his path, and had his face deep in the cup before I could say "boo!" Lil orange pit bull! I'm trying to pretend I didn't see him the other day. I want to believe that he just got out like the last time I saw him on the camera. I don't have the time or desire to get involved with his housing situation again. And yes, his life would have been easier had he been neutered. But I'm not getting involved in that either. There was a time where I would have "fostered" him through it (even though I'm not supposed to foster according to my lease.) But that ship has sailed. I'm settling into the "between cats" lifestyle nicely and not looking for a homeless intact tomcat to wrench that up.

I sold more cat food this weekend. I got a different guy at the store than I usually deal with. The ladies are nice and just pay me what they charge on the shelf. This guy, who may be the owner, really wanted a receipt and said he could only do store credit without a receipt. "Well, that doesn't help me. I'm not feeding a dead cat." That's what I thought anyway. I said something a little more respectful and got him to relent. I guess I'll be going to another store next time I want to sell some. I still have probably two dozen cans. 🤦‍♂️

I also finally got around to emptying the turkey and rabbit meat stock jars in the freezer. Some of them are more than a year old. I don't remember the batches and I honestly don't trust them anymore or I would have given them to friends. So many hours of labor and love went into those jars.

So many loose ends. I still have to find a replacement for her litterbox enclosure. That cheap particle board probably has some caked in odors now. And although I did recently clean underneath it, I'm still concerned what I may find each time I move it. I realized while cleaning her pee from the front room that I have enough Katris pieces to build an epic blanket fort. And then I realized how much Krista would have loved that and I won't get to share it with her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like voicemails from the recently deceased, I still have her image on three of my cameras. Two of them are now offline. The third will be taken offline as soon as I can get it on a smart plug. I can’t imagine any scenario right now where I might need these cameras again. But I wouldn’t want to be caught unplugged if one should arise.
058C86AD-BA31-4C04-A4E1-E720C2ACEFB2.png

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her gentle persistence was so endearing. If that were OC, he would have jumped over everything, knocked everything over in his path, and had his face deep in the cup before I could say "boo!" Lil orange pit bull! I'm trying to pretend I didn't see him the other day. I want to believe that he just got out like the last time I saw him on the camera. I don't have the time or desire to get involved with his housing situation again. And yes, his life would have been easier had he been neutered. But I'm not getting involved in that either. There was a time where I would have "fostered" him through it (even though I'm not supposed to foster according to my lease.) But that ship has sailed. I'm settling into the "between cats" lifestyle nicely and not looking for a homeless intact tomcat to wrench that up.

I sold more cat food this weekend. I got a different guy at the store than I usually deal with. The ladies are nice and just pay me what they charge on the shelf. This guy, who may be the owner, really wanted a receipt and said he could only do store credit without a receipt. "Well, that doesn't help me. I'm not feeding a dead cat." That's what I thought anyway. I said something a little more respectful and got him to relent. I guess I'll be going to another store next time I want to sell some. I still have probably two dozen cans. 🤦‍♂️

I also finally got around to emptying the turkey and rabbit meat stock jars in the freezer. Some of them are more than a year old. I don't remember the batches and I honestly don't trust them anymore or I would have given them to friends. So many hours of labor and love went into those jars.

So many loose ends. I still have to find a replacement for her litterbox enclosure. That cheap particle board probably has some caked in odors now. And although I did recently clean underneath it, I'm still concerned what I may find each time I move it. I realized while cleaning her pee from the front room that I have enough Katris pieces to build an epic blanket fort. And then I realized how much Krista would have loved that and I won't get to share it with her.
There are nice enclosures on hauspanther.com and IKEA may have some room dividers that would work. These may not be what you're looking for, but: You searched for litter box enclosures • hauspanther or Look what I've found at IKEA - divider screen (Pretty sure those are NOT what you're looking for). Maybe eBay or amazon has something more appropriate. petco.com has a couple of enclosures that fairly $$$ and again, probably not what you're looking for (and the URL is probably too long to post here).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like what she already had. I just think it’s probably scent stained by now. I didn’t realize it at the time. But the automatic litterbox I used in there for most of her years had leaky seams that she managed to find with her pee. I don’t mind paying $$ for this one again. (The enclosure. Not the leaky box.) If only I could find it again.
image.jpg
Sign of the times. It’s currently being used as extra storage. 😔

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like what she already had. I just think it’s probably scent stained by now. I didn’t realize it at the time. But the automatic litterbox I used in there for most of her years had leaky seams that she managed to find with her pee. I don’t mind paying $$ for this one again. (The enclosure. Not the leaky box.) If only I could find it again.
View attachment 360560
Sign of the times. It’s currently being used as extra storage. 😔
What was it described as originally? It looks like human-purpose furniture. You might want to check resale sites like letgo.com, too, especially right now, when I'm thinking quite a few people are selling things to get extra cash.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was it described as originally? It looks like human-purpose furniture. You might want to check resale sites like letgo.com, too, especially right now, when I'm thinking quite a few people are selling things to get extra cash.
I don't remember what it was called before. I bought it from Petco about six or seven years ago. Maybe its manual is buried in my manual drawer? Or maybe I tossed it with the last purge.

I won't buy used cat box anything. I'm trying to get back to a fresh start. Krista was incredibly well-behaved regarding Cabbie's leftover odors. I did no cleanup there. I was still raw with grief when g/f at the time said, "you're miserable. Let's get you a new cat." Also, I knew nothing about cats back then. I didn't even know that you're supposed to transition cats to new surroundings. Krista was amazingly well-adjusted from day one. It's going to take awhile to be ready for a different cat. 😿

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember what it was called before. I bought it from Petco about six or seven years ago. Maybe its manual is buried in my manual drawer? Or maybe I tossed it with the last purge.

I won't buy used cat box anything. I'm trying to get back to a fresh start. Krista was incredibly well-behaved regarding Cabbie's leftover odors. I did no cleanup there. I was still raw with grief when g/f at the time said, "you're miserable. Let's get you a new cat." Also, I knew nothing about cats back then. I didn't even know that you're supposed to transition cats to new surroundings. Krista was amazingly well-adjusted from day one. It's going to take awhile to be ready for a different cat. 😿
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that manual was in there somewhere! ;)
Well, TCS is here to help, as am I, if needed.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why they call it a pet bed. But this is closest to what I would want to replace it with.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SRVV6NZ/?tag=thecatsite

Or maybe this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2CWXQJ/?tag=thecatsite

The ones I don't like are the ones with the cutesy cat shaped holes or other weird/high entrances. Also I prefer a side/front door (or doors) rather than the ones that open at the top.

I really like the one I have. It has a side entry and a front door. When Krista's arthritis became more apparent, I took the door off the front and changed from the Littermaid with the third party pee guard she had to climb over to a regular box.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO adorable!!! :hearthrob: :kneading: :yeah::heartshape:
I like the first one better. Natural wood is always my preference over painted surfaces. I really like the finish on that first one.
The first one is too long for that space. I could bring it around the corner. But then I still have that space where the old one is to fill. Both of them are awfully low. If I replaced the old one with the second one (I would go with the darker finish), it would fit length-wise, but it would remove even more clearance.

Of all the ones I have looked at so far, I like the one I have the best. I think my weekend project is to flip it and see just how damaged it might be.

Lesson learned: If your litter box has seams like a cover or those automatic boxes (e.g. Littermaid), check the seams and put a pee pad down beneath it.

If I can salvage the one I have, I'll stick with it. I may end up getting another one for around the corner for the plus one box. I've been looking to add some additional storage there anyway for the litter and other cat supplies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first one is too long for that space. I could bring it around the corner. But then I still have that space where the old one is to fill. Both of them are awfully low. If I replaced the old one with the second one (I would go with the darker finish), it would fit length-wise, but it would remove even more clearance.

Of all the ones I have looked at so far, I like the one I have the best. I think my weekend project is to flip it and see just how damaged it might be.

Lesson learned: If your litter box has seams like a cover or those automatic boxes (e.g. Littermaid), check the seams and put a pee pad down beneath it.

If I can salvage the one I have, I'll stick with it. I may end up getting another one for around the corner for the plus one box. I've been looking to add some additional storage there anyway for the litter and other cat supplies.
Yeah, that's the best one by far. Hope it is salvageable. I didn't mean used catbox anything, I meant repurposable human-specific furniture. A lot of people get mid-century modern cabinets, like those used to house hi-fis, stereos, TVs etc., and repurpose them, because a lot of them are really stylish and just about the right size. Also, sideboards can be good sizes. You might also want to visit hauspanther.com right now, and enter the contest. Today's entry is for a choice of three really, really nice cabinets. Check it out.Holiday Giveaway 2: Mjau Home • hauspanther