Remembering Krista

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the first thing I did with the new table...

View attachment 356524

I bumped my knee on the rack underneath and spilled some beer. dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 called it! 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

So I have a workaround until I can buy a Dremel and cut those outer bars away. I call it the “hotel position”: plenty of ballroom! I’m manspreading around this tiny table since my knees don’t fit underneath. 😹🤦🏼‍♂️
View attachment 356523

I’m not certain I’m keeping it. But then it was also cheap enough that I could turn it into patio furniture or bear it out for a bit until I find a replacement. I suspect the nagging desire to get rid of the box and all the associated packing trash will dictate how long a trial before I eat it and keep it.

View attachment 356525

At least it’s tiny enough and lightweight that I can move it out of the way to clean or even push it against the wall to use that empty space in front of the mirrors. I suppose it could be my indoor/outdoor. It wouldn’t be too tough to carry it out to the deck if we get good deck sitting weather again.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. My IKEA table has extra leaves stored underneath. Somehow, unless you sort of slide into your chair and keep your legs low, you hit the sharp corner of the wood part that stores the leaves, and if you have really bony knees like I do, it HURTS. Hoping you find a good way to work this out. *IKEA does have a lot of great small tables without wine racks underneath, and great kitchen chairs. They have some combos, too. Just a thought.*
But, on another subject, how about those DODGERS?!!:yess:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
October 29, 2019:

One of my favorite memories last year—again, not at the time, but time is a funny editor—was our road trip to the dentist. At the time, it was super-stressful. Krista was barely eating. The appointment was supposed to be a consultation only with who knows how long until the procedure itself, assuming he agreed he could do something for her. I was about to put a feeding tube back in her to get her from consultation appointment to procedure appointment.

She was only eating a couple of ounces a day and only my homemade. She gave up on canned food weeks ago. I was making the only food she would eat. No pressure, right? 🤦‍♂️
7FA73C33-D3CB-44EC-ABBB-BC441EBBAC68.jpeg

On top of it all, there was a wildfire raging nearby. That’s why we were able to get this dentist appointment in two weeks instead of two to six months like every other dentist I called. But I was also watching the evacuation orders and fire forecasts for the week before we left.
BDE06C92-FB46-4089-AF8B-3222DAB985B8.jpeg
The dentist is that flagged location. Our hotel was just down the street from that green dot above sandwiched between the yellow warning and the purple evacuation zones. I took solace in knowing that if the evacuation zone was going to move south, they’d have that county evacuation shelter full of people to also move. I figured they had chosen a smart line in the sand so they wouldn’t have to move it.

I learned on this trip just how well she traveled. I had hoped that if we could turn the corner on her lymphoma and put some weight back on her, we would do more road trips. She would ride quietly within her carrier. Occasionally, I could reach over and coax a trill out of her. Otherwise, she rode in silence (after her first minute or two of weak protest.) This was pleasant but also useful. Because when she did start to speak up, I knew she needed a break. I pulled over into a hotel parking lot. I brought a litter box out of the trunk and put it at her feet. Then I let her out of the carrier and allowed her to use the litter box if she needed to and roam the cabin to stretch her legs.
24316629-550B-4EAD-91B0-70E869DC82F6.jpeg
3AE6BBE3-1ED3-40BA-9170-AFD2299D0EDD.jpeg 46DCF58A-05E2-4CA1-8DF1-A16C46360ECD.jpeg
When she wanted to spend more time with me than roaming about the cabin, I’d give her some loving, and then stuff her back in her carrier to finish the drive.

Krista loved hotel rooms. She never met a hotel room that she didn’t eventually find herself in the highest point in the room. Usually on top of a fridge. Or on top of the cabinets.
39F76AE5-E31D-4567-90A0-8C620882CEEC.jpeg CBF674E2-50D5-4E47-A223-4F9AB6B343D1.jpeg
Once she was unpacked and fed, I picked up a (Beyond) burger and a (craft) brew from one town over. After we each had our respective decompression time, we settled in together for the World Series. I think it was the deciding game.
1214AB12-4253-42AB-86C1-6CE0E6819C1D.jpeg

It was an early night. We had a 7 am appointment. That’s a big reason why I went with a hotel room. Adding an extra night was an even smarter move. The dentist, it turned out, would have an afternoon cancellation and performed Krista’s “RME” (remaining mouth extraction) that same afternoon as the consultation. To be seen by a vet dentist and have work done in two weeks instead of two to six months is unheard of!

More pictures from this trip coming tomorrow.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
October 29, 2019:

One of my favorite memories last year—again, not at the time, but time is a funny editor—was our road trip to the dentist. At the time, it was super-stressful. Krista was barely eating. The appointment was supposed to be a consultation only with who knows how long until the procedure itself, assuming he agreed he could do something for her. I was about to put a feeding tube back in her to get her from consultation appointment to procedure appointment.

She was only eating a couple of ounces a day and only my homemade. She gave up on canned food weeks ago. I was making the only food she would eat. No pressure, right? 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 356722

On top of it all, there was a wildfire raging nearby. That’s why we were able to get this dentist appointment in two weeks instead of two to six months like every other dentist I called. But I was also watching the evacuation orders and fire forecasts for the week before we left.
View attachment 356715
The dentist is that flagged location. Our hotel was just down the street from that green dot above sandwiched between the yellow warning and the purple evacuation zones. I took solace in knowing that if the evacuation zone was going to move south, they’d have that county evacuation shelter full of people to also move. I figured they had chosen a smart line in the sand so they wouldn’t have to move it.

I learned on this trip just how well she traveled. I had hoped that if we could turn the corner on her lymphoma and put some weight back on her, we would do more road trips. She would ride quietly within her carrier. Occasionally, I could reach over and coax a trill out of her. Otherwise, she rode in silence (after her first minute or two of weak protest.) This was pleasant but also useful. Because when she did start to speak up, I knew she needed a break. I pulled over into a hotel parking lot. I brought a litter box out of the trunk and put it at her feet. Then I let her out of the carrier and allowed her to use the litter box if she needed to and roam the cabin to stretch her legs.
View attachment 356716
View attachment 356717View attachment 356718
When she wanted to spend more time with me than roaming about the cabin, I’d give her some loving, and then stuff her back in her carrier to finish the drive.

Krista loved hotel rooms. She never met a hotel room that she didn’t eventually find herself in the highest point in the room. Usually on top of a fridge. Or on top of the cabinets.
View attachment 356720View attachment 356721
Once she was unpacked and fed, I picked up a (Beyond) burger and a (craft) brew from one town over. After we each had our respective decompression time, we settled in together for the World Series. I think it was the deciding game.
View attachment 356719

It was an early night. We had a 7 am appointment. That’s a big reason why I went with a hotel room. Adding an extra night was an even smarter move. The dentist, it turned out, would have an afternoon cancellation and performed Krista’s “RME” (remaining mouth extraction) that same afternoon as the consultation. To be seen by a vet dentist and have work done in two weeks instead of two to six months is unheard of!

Awwwww! Definitely a tree-dweller, as Jackson Galaxy would say :tree::hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob: How great that that appointment opened up for her to get attention so quickly!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! I made a gif out of one of my favorite Krista videos. The one and only time we tried harness training. I really wish we had stuck with it. I think she would have made a fantastic adventure cat.
View attachment 356745
*AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!* :hearthrob: :kneading: :hearthrob: I think so, too. She looks rarin' to go there.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
October 29, 2019:

View attachment 356722

View attachment 356715

View attachment 356716
View attachment 356717View attachment 356718

View attachment 356720View attachment 356721
View attachment 356719

💗 She was such a beautiful, loving, sweet girl. We are going to try to get Gypsy at ease riding in the van we just got. So far her road trips have been in a carrier to the mean place where they stick a thermometer where the sun don't shine and won't let mom & dad come in. I think she approves of the van, going slow I don't want to spook her.
20201016_114457.jpg
20201016_113826.jpg
20201016_114802.jpg
20201016_114036.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
💗 She was such a beautiful, loving, sweet girl. We are going to try to get Gypsy at ease riding in the van we just got. So far her road trips have been in a carrier to the mean place where they stick a thermometer where the sun don't shine and won't let mom & dad come in. I think she approves of the van, going slow I don't want to spook her.
View attachment 356832View attachment 356834View attachment 356835View attachment 356836
*This mine. I approve.* :hearthrob: Pretty girl!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 356832View attachment 356834View attachment 356835View attachment 356836
Fun!

Just a point of clarification. Krista always rode in the carrier when the car was moving. She only got to roam the cabin in a parked car. I’m sure it’s the same policy with Gypsy.

Krista and I practiced desensitization from entering and sitting in her zipped up carrier to mock car rides at home in between vet visits. She learned that not every carrier ride ended up at the vet. And we did no poke and low poke visits (fluids is barely a poke compared to taking blood or urine) so that not every vet visit was scary. And since I often pumped her with treats on the way to and back from vet visits, even the awful ones she was calm in the waiting room and she calmed right down as soon as she got in the car on the way home despite whatever language I may have heard from her in the back room. She swore like a sailor. 😹 I was actually proud of her for it because it meant she still had fight despite whatever she may have been going through at the time. 😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fun!

Just a point of clarification. Krista always rode in the carrier when the car was moving. She only got to roam the cabin in a parked car. I’m sure it’s the same policy with Gypsy.

Krista and I practiced desensitization from entering and sitting in her zipped up carrier to mock car rides at home in between vet visits. She learned that not every carrier ride ended up at the vet. And we did no poke and low poke visits (fluids is barely a poke compared to taking blood or urine) so that not every vet visit was scary. And since I often pumped her with treats on the way to and back from vet visits, even the awful ones she was calm in the waiting room and she calmed right down as soon as she got in the car on the way home despite whatever language I may have heard from her in the back room. She swore like a sailor. 😹 I was actually proud of her for it because it meant she still had fight despite whatever she may have been going through at the time. 😻
Of course it's best for cats to be in their carriers during journeys! Best for them, best for us, best for traffic around us.
I'm sure her vocabulary was extensive. Being multicolored and all :hearthrob: :kneading: :hearthrob: :insertevillaugh: *The 'tude is strong in this one!*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
October 30, 2019:

Day two of our dentist road trip started very early. We had a 7am appointment. That’s why we were staying in a hotel. So our 7am appointment wasn’t preceded by a two hour drive. I remember having to sit in the car before the sun was up running the heater before I collected Krista for the ten minute drive to the dentist. Brr! 🥶

After the lobby wait, we finally got in to the dentist’s office. She was a little growly. But the dentist had all the X-rays he needed to make a decision on whether and how to treat her. It was the happiest day of her care last year when I asked him if he could make it the very last dental procedure she’ll ever need and he agreed. After a year and a half of piecemeal extractions, her tooth resorption ordeal was finally going to end.

Krista’s last picture with teeth.
B111479C-4892-4D6A-803A-B34C129E8F9A.jpeg

Several hours and several thousand dollars later, she came back to the hotel room and ate very well for the first time in a month.
8877F0EF-C7D3-4EF7-B795-6EFC04F0B627.jpeg

But she did have some discomfort as the anesthesia wore off.
F865E44C-1D89-474A-8225-7F2D5382720A.jpeg

The dentist gave me his personal text number as part of her post-op care instructions. I texted the dentist and sent me this photo. He said keep up with the bupe and bring her back to the hospital at any time if I was concerned. He worked out of a 24-hour VCA hospital. That was a huge relief.

She wore a goofy face for a few hours.
7C909673-6E6A-4C36-9F1F-0D2CBDA39A2E.jpeg
I guess last night wasn’t the deciding game of the World Series. 😹 43EE715D-C167-43E1-AF51-45BB6D6BEB76.jpeg

But ultimately, she didn’t let it distract her from her very important cat business. 😻
4D06DBAC-93A3-4D40-9D37-D0363FBFB56F.jpeg

More pictures from this trip tomorrow.

And a bonus Halloween shot from 2018.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
October 30, 2019:

Day two of our dentist road trip started very early. We had a 7am appointment. That’s why we were staying in a hotel. So our 7am appointment wasn’t preceded by a two hour drive. I remember having to sit in the car before the sun was up running the heater before I collected Krista for the ten minute drive to the dentist. Brr! 🥶

After the lobby wait, we finally got in to the dentist’s office. She was a little growly. But the dentist had all the X-rays he needed to make a decision on whether and how to treat her. It was the happiest day of her care last year when I asked him if he could make it the very last dental procedure she’ll ever need and he agreed. After a year and a half of piecemeal extractions, her tooth resorption ordeal was finally going to end.

Krista’s last picture with teeth.
View attachment 356843

Several hours and several thousand dollars later, she came back to the hotel room and ate very well for the first time in a month.
View attachment 356844

But she did have some discomfort as the anesthesia wore off.
View attachment 356848

The dentist gave me his personal text number as part of her post-op care instructions. I texted the dentist and sent me this photo. He said keep up with the bupe and bring her back to the hospital at any time if I was concerned. He worked out of a 24-hour VCA hospital. That was a huge relief.

She wore a goofy face for a few hours.
View attachment 356845
I guess last night wasn’t the deciding game of the World Series. 😹View attachment 356846

But ultimately, she didn’t let it distract her from her very important cat business. 😻
View attachment 356847

More pictures from this trip tomorrow.

And a bonus Halloween shot from 2018.
*Get these things OUTTA here!* Krista was saying. And then: *FOOD!!! FOOD!!! Where have you been all my life? Get in mah belleh!* And a little high time. :hearthrob: :kneading: :hearthrob: :cloud9:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Fun!

💗We have a very large carrier I'd gotten in case of an emergency and she will be in it when the van is moving. The ones we have used so far have been small ones. We have a beautiful park close by and will start off by going there to get her use to positive road trips.🎃🦇