Remembering Krista

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
February 4, 2019:
I think she’s still on the fish flakes and hunting for them in her carrier.
94AEAB0A-AB57-409B-AF8A-246237845CBD.jpeg
February 4, 2020:
Pretty sure we had discontinued the flakes hunt by this point. But that didn’t stop her from occasionally checking the old locations.
D59D1D5E-532D-470F-87CB-2D0135C7374C.jpeg
I thought about doing a tight zoom on the edit. But I stopped short of excluding the cases of food. One in bottom cube. And two (or more) in the unopened boxes above. 🙀🤦🏼‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just catching up after last Sunday's setup and a couple of days of tweaking. Still learning new stuff about the new system and WIN10Pro. Tomorrow I have techs coming to install fiber-optics as the system is designed for that. It's kind of a weird little system for me -- small form factor business instead of "regular" gaming rig -- and I hate the keyboard, which I have to pound. Still haven't found out where to adjust the touch. Everything is more complicated than before and a lot of stuff I had for free is now monetized. :sigh:
Really enjoying the Krista pix dailies -- and yes, you're right, the love never ends. And yes, both of us are approaching 6 months without our colorful beloveds. For me, it does not hurt any less. Sometimes it's piercing. Life on earth continues, but with a huge void, for me. Everyday life is weird and sad when I get our auto-delivery supply shipments and the emails telling me they are coming, and I check stock and realize I don't need them yet because not only is she not here with her voracious appetite, but Baby Su and Elvis are not usually eating as much, either.
*Loving Krista's toe beans. So adorable.*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just catching up after last Sunday's setup and a couple of days of tweaking. Still learning new stuff about the new system and WIN10Pro. Tomorrow I have techs coming to install fiber-optics as the system is designed for that. It's kind of a weird little system for me -- small form factor business instead of "regular" gaming rig -- and I hate the keyboard, which I have to pound. Still haven't found out where to adjust the touch. Everything is more complicated than before and a lot of stuff I had for free is now monetized. :sigh:
Really enjoying the Krista pix dailies -- and yes, you're right, the love never ends. And yes, both of us are approaching 6 months without our colorful beloveds. For me, it does not hurt any less. Sometimes it's piercing. Life on earth continues, but with a huge void, for me. Everyday life is weird and sad when I get our auto-delivery supply shipments and the emails telling me they are coming, and I check stock and realize I don't need them yet because not only is she not here with her voracious appetite, but Baby Su and Elvis are not usually eating as much, either.
*Loving Krista's toe beans. So adorable.*
I love that she somehow found it comfortable to sleep with a boot to the head. 😹

I have three Lenovo small form factor boxes I got on woot last year during my funemployment. I was laid off in February last year before they saw the scope or impact of the pandemic. (Even though it was unrelated to the pandemic, they felt awful about it when the picture became clearer in March and sweetened the severance twice.) An old boss caught wind of my layoff and had me in for an interview in two weeks and an offer a week or two after that. I had a couple months before my start date to learn new technologies. So I bought these servers off Woot and used them to learn various virtualization technologies.

This is my “server cabinet”. There’s a third server in there and a second power strip behind the other door.
74DDBCD5-A901-42AC-BC7E-859988A61C4F.jpeg
My main setup is either my phone when I’m off work or my work laptop which I upgraded with a wireless keyboard and mouse and a 24” widescreen monitor. I do have a personal laptop I occasionally use when I want to do something unrelated to work other than TCS and Instagram. Like tweaking my smart home rules or other light programming tasks.
92E838B7-0766-49A2-9C16-F1152B040323.jpeg
I like the Logitech k830 wireless keyboard. Satisfying key travel and useful keyboard shortcuts like volume, mute, and ten more I probably don’t use. 😹
Logitech K830 Wireless Illuminated Living Room Touch Keyboard - 920-007182 - Newegg.com

And even though there is a touchpad on it, I also have a m310 mouse.
Logitech M310 Dark Gray Mouse, 3 Buttons Wireless Optical 1000 dpi - Newegg.com

Win10 Pro is not too bad in tablet mode. I don’t know if tablet mode can be configured for a desktop system. I like it because it’s less busy than desktop mode. And I hate desktop icons. And Windows Subsystem for Linux and HyperV are two nice additions to W10Pro.

I think I’m getting closer to wanting a new cat. But I also want to take care of myself first: lose the cat weight and sleep better before I take on a new fur dependent. I was hoping for more of a renaissance between-cats period of recovery and self-improvement. I’m hoping to make a new cat my birthday present in June. It’s more of a (stretch) goal than a deadline though.

Krista was a birthday present way back when. 😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that she somehow found it comfortable to sleep with a boot to the head. 😹

I have three Lenovo small form factor boxes I got on woot last year during my funemployment. I was laid off in February last year before they saw the scope or impact of the pandemic. (Even though it was unrelated to the pandemic, they felt awful about it when the picture became clearer in March and sweetened the severance twice.) An old boss caught wind of my layoff and had me in for an interview in two weeks and an offer a week or two after that. I had a couple months before my start date to learn new technologies. So I bought these servers off Woot and used them to learn various virtualization technologies.

This is my “server cabinet”. There’s a third server in there and a second power strip behind the other door.
View attachment 369319
My main setup is either my phone when I’m off work or my work laptop which I upgraded with a wireless keyboard and mouse and a 24” widescreen monitor. I do have a personal laptop I occasionally use when I want to do something unrelated to work other than TCS and Instagram. Like tweaking my smart home rules or other light programming tasks.
View attachment 369321
I like the Logitech k830 wireless keyboard. Satisfying key travel and useful keyboard shortcuts like volume, mute, and ten more I probably don’t use. 😹
Logitech K830 Wireless Illuminated Living Room Touch Keyboard - 920-007182 - Newegg.com

And even though there is a touchpad on it, I also have a m310 mouse.
Logitech M310 Dark Gray Mouse, 3 Buttons Wireless Optical 1000 dpi - Newegg.com

Win10 Pro is not too bad in tablet mode. I don’t know if tablet mode can be configured for a desktop system. I like it because it’s less busy than desktop mode. And I hate desktop icons. And Windows Subsystem for Linux and HyperV are two nice additions to W10Pro.

I think I’m getting closer to wanting a new cat. But I also want to take care of myself first: lose the cat weight and sleep better before I take on a new fur dependent. I was hoping for more of a renaissance between-cats period of recovery and self-improvement. I’m hoping to make a new cat my birthday present in June. It’s more of a (stretch) goal than a deadline though.

Krista was a birthday present way back when. 😻
"Worthy of the living room." :yess:
I like wired. Why get batteries? I had a great Logitech gaming trackball I used until it gave it up. Pretty flashy. Now I'm just using this weird little lightweight optical mouse they included with the system. It's okay. My keyboard is worthy of nothing much. But it's getting better. I do a lot of tweaking on my systems so basically they're extremely personal.
Krista had to be the very BEST birthday present ever! I've never got a cat for a present although I wished for a cat for my birthday once a long time ago and pretty quickly, a cat came through our roof door. IDK what the real term is but at that time I was living in a converted garage and it had this trapdoor to the roof (well, actually to the crawlspace) and this beautiful cat came in through there. She looked at least part Abyssinian. She would come and go (I was just a kid then and didn't know much about much. My cats I grew up with were allowed to go out because my parents didn't know different then) and I know she had to have a "real" home. We moved at one point and she escaped. I never saw her again but someone told me they saw a cat who resembled her heading in the direction of where we'd come from, which was several miles away. I hope she made it home.
So I'm not going to get all excited until it actually happens. Of course you know I'm hoping it DOES happen. But only if you're ready then. As far as weight, it'll happen when it happens unless you really make that a serious goal. Sleep? IDK because I'm insomniac but someone told me I must get enough sleep, because I function okay. I hope you get more sleep it you want/need to, though I don't see how it's possible to sleep without cats. I couldn't.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Worthy of the living room." :yess:
I like wired. Why get batteries? I had a great Logitech gaming trackball I used until it gave it up. Pretty flashy. Now I'm just using this weird little lightweight optical mouse they included with the system. It's okay. My keyboard is worthy of nothing much. But it's getting better. I do a lot of tweaking on my systems so basically they're extremely personal.
Krista had to be the very BEST birthday present ever! I've never got a cat for a present although I wished for a cat for my birthday once a long time ago and pretty quickly, a cat came through our roof door. IDK what the real term is but at that time I was living in a converted garage and it had this trapdoor to the roof (well, actually to the crawlspace) and this beautiful cat came in through there. She looked at least part Abyssinian. She would come and go (I was just a kid then and didn't know much about much. My cats I grew up with were allowed to go out because my parents didn't know different then) and I know she had to have a "real" home. We moved at one point and she escaped. I never saw her again but someone told me they saw a cat who resembled her heading in the direction of where we'd come from, which was several miles away. I hope she made it home.
So I'm not going to get all excited until it actually happens. Of course you know I'm hoping it DOES happen. But only if you're ready then. As far as weight, it'll happen when it happens unless you really make that a serious goal. Sleep? IDK because I'm insomniac but someone told me I must get enough sleep, because I function okay. I hope you get more sleep it you want/need to, though I don't see how it's possible to sleep without cats. I couldn't.
The keyboard has an internal rechargeable battery via usb micro. I get a good long time out of a charge. Weeks or months even. The mouse uses batteries though. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I like wireless because I can easily move them out of the way. I still haven’t cut the outer bars on the table I got (the ones that bump my knees if I were to sit at it for lunch). So I eat lunch at my desk. And it’s just so nice to be able to tuck the keyboard and mouse away and have a nice large clean surface.

I do most of my work on a server. I need little from my laptop except an ssh client and a whole mess of memory so Chrome ain’t slowing me down when I have 100 tabs open.

Krista was a birthday present from my girlfriend at the time. Cabbie declined very quickly with her mouth cancer and I helped her pass less than a month after that time we came home from a weekend away to her thick drool ropes. I didn’t have much more than a couple of weeks without her before the gf said, “you’re miserable. Let’s go to the shelter and I’ll pay the adoption fees for your birthday present.” I did get my first car—a ‘74 Chevy Malibu with fewer than 40,000 miles—for my 17th birthday. That was a pretty good birthday present too. But yes. Krista topped that one too. 😻

The weight will have to be a concerted effort. I want to get back into yoga and strength training at home. And maybe a few less bagels and hash browns at breakfast. The sleep, I’m sure I’m getting enough of it. It’s the quality that needs work. This bed is too firm. I’m considering trying another bed. But gosh, I did spend a lot on this one. I got the daybed in the office to conduct mattress trials. I just need to buck up and spend a few nights on it to see if I like the Amazon Basics mattress on it well enough to replace the Avocado in the front room.

I have lived almost as many years without cats than with them. There is something liberating (albeit sometimes lonely) being between cats right now.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of lonely, I miss the conversations we would have. Mostly one sided. But still. Without her, I’m just talking to myself.

February 5, 2020:
47A6F55C-858D-4D86-9AA2-459D7E1328E5.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The keyboard has an internal rechargeable battery via usb micro. I get a good long time out of a charge. Weeks or months even. The mouse uses batteries though. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I like wireless because I can easily move them out of the way. I still haven’t cut the outer bars on the table I got (the ones that bump my knees if I were to sit at it for lunch). So I eat lunch at my desk. And it’s just so nice to be able to tuck the keyboard and mouse away and have a nice large clean surface.

I do most of my work on a server. I need little from my laptop except an ssh client and a whole mess of memory so Chrome ain’t slowing me down when I have 100 tabs open.

Krista was a birthday present from my girlfriend at the time. Cabbie declined very quickly with her mouth cancer and I helped her pass less than a month after that time we came home from a weekend away to her thick drool ropes. I didn’t have much more than a couple of weeks without her before the gf said, “you’re miserable. Let’s go to the shelter and I’ll pay the adoption fees for your birthday present.” I did get my first car—a ‘74 Chevy Malibu with fewer than 40,000 miles—for my 17th birthday. That was a pretty good birthday present too. But yes. Krista topped that one too. 😻

The weight will have to be a concerted effort. I want to get back into yoga and strength training at home. And maybe a few less bagels and hash browns at breakfast. The sleep, I’m sure I’m getting enough of it. It’s the quality that needs work. This bed is too firm. I’m considering trying another bed. But gosh, I did spend a lot on this one. I got the daybed in the office to conduct mattress trials. I just need to buck up and spend a few nights on it to see if I like the Amazon Basics mattress on it well enough to replace the Avocado in the front room.

I have lived almost as many years without cats than with them. There is something liberating (albeit sometimes lonely) being between cats right now.
Well, yeah, a server makes sense since you code for work. The table is good, too, with the rails you can put the peripherals on. I have a computer desk with an adjustable dropdown shelf for the keyboard. It has a fair amount of room for what I need, especially with the SFF tower.
Yeah, a car is really nice. But a cat is incomparable. So Cabbie had what Tarifa probably had. What a horrible, horrible thing to have. I'd have a hard time with hash browns and bagels, too. I eat the same thing for breakfast every day, and the same thing for lunch, and they're both pretty basic. I don't allow myself many treats. And I designed a 40-minute workout that I do 4-5 times a week. So that helps.
My ex bought a really high quality mattress. When I got this IKEA king size bed and mattress, I just put the mattress on top of it. I had to, because IKEA only makes regulation king frames and mattresses and this is a Cal King, which is longer. So it sticks out. But I don't care. When this one is shot, I have the brand new IKEA one underneath. I always thought the firmer the mattress, the better, but according to IKEA anyway, you should go by your height and weight, and for me, firm is entirely wrong. But that's what I've got.
I've hardly had any time in my life without cats. I had one apartment where the owner wouldn't let me have my cat, and she moved in with my parents, who loved her, so I got to visit her whenever. Then there was another time I travelled so I couldn't have cats. I'm done with that. It's cats always for me. I need cats.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's in the bowl, Dad? WHAT'S IN THE BOWL???:kneading:HUH? HUH???
Beats me! It looks like it may have been something with pesto. But I doubt that. I was too sleep deprived and busy taking care of her for something so fancy (even pesto from a jar which is currently my new jam!) So if it’s not pesto, it’s either scrambled eggs with a mess of dill. I make that sometimes. Or more likely a packaged soup that had a healthy dose of a green herb or spice like parsley or dill.

10:14 AM. Not soup. Probably eggs with dill.

I went back to her Care thread to see if I could find an answer. No help! All I could learn was that I home cooked a meal trying to bait Murphy’s Pooper. She almost always pooped when I was cooking or eating which is why I tried to keep both quick as I could. Back then, her poops were dramatic events that often required supervision. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 And cleanup.

More answer than you were asking. I got a little caught up in this puzzle. 😹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beats me! It looks like it may have been something with pesto. But I doubt that. I was too sleep deprived and busy taking care of her for something so fancy (even pesto from a jar which is currently my new jam!) So if it’s not pesto, it’s either scrambled eggs with a mess of dill. I make that sometimes. Or more likely a packaged soup that had a healthy dose of a green herb or spice like parsley or dill.

10:14 AM. Not soup. Probably eggs with dill.

I went back to her Care thread to see if I could find an answer. No help! All I could learn was that I home cooked a meal trying to bait Murphy’s Pooper. She almost always pooped when I was cooking or eating which is why I tried to keep both quick as I could. Back then, her poops were dramatic events that often required supervision. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 And cleanup.

More answer than you were asking. I got a little caught up in this puzzle. 😹
Not more. Remember, I'm aspy, too. I like details. :crackup:

I love dill! Parsley, too. Both would be great in eggs. I get these stuffed cabbage leaves that are vegan -- they have kidney beans, chick peas, bulgur wheat, spices including dill, and a tomatoey sauce. They're like a meal in a leaf. I get them from the deli at my favorite supermarket which is a regional chain and basically caters to Middle Eastern/West Asian/Armenian people. I looked up stuffed cabbage leaves and the internet says they're basically eastern European. Anyway, I love them and I always get them. "Easy" is good when you have roomies. We each eat differently and she makes all of her and his food so I'm on my own. I love to cook but with staggered kitchen privileges, a lot of the more involved stuff doesn't get made these days. SO, as I love deli stuff anyway, these are perfect and they come in packages of six so when I refer to a six-pack, that's what I'm talking about :flail:
Yeah, I know about those events. Especially in the middle of the night. :sigh:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not more. Remember, I'm aspy, too. I like details. :crackup:

I love dill! Parsley, too. Both would be great in eggs. I get these stuffed cabbage leaves that are vegan -- they have kidney beans, chick peas, bulgur wheat, spices including dill, and a tomatoey sauce. They're like a meal in a leaf. I get them from the deli at my favorite supermarket which is a regional chain and basically caters to Middle Eastern/West Asian/Armenian people. I looked up stuffed cabbage leaves and the internet says they're basically eastern European. Anyway, I love them and I always get them. "Easy" is good when you have roomies. We each eat differently and she makes all of her and his food so I'm on my own. I love to cook but with staggered kitchen privileges, a lot of the more involved stuff doesn't get made these days. SO, as I love deli stuff anyway, these are perfect and they come in packages of six so when I refer to a six-pack, that's what I'm talking about :flail:
Yeah, I know about those events. Especially in the middle of the night. :sigh:
I can’t remember if you’re vegetarian. I’m a recovering vegan. More pescatarian now. I love eggs and fish. I’m finally getting better at eating more greens and cooking easy meals again. Tonight I had bok choy and shiitake with red chili paste and freeze-dried garlic. The last few times I made this was with shrimp. But tonight I made it with seared ahi tuna. 😋 That was the last of the bok choy from my last Instacart that didn’t spoil. (I’m still trying to right size my greens order to prevent spoilage.) I also add veggie dogs to my weekly Instacart and top them with Amy’s chili, cheese, scallions, and sauerkraut. This is four meals (2 dogs per meal.) And I’m working on perfecting my quick red curry recipe with red curry paste, coconut milk, pesto, and a touch of brown sugar. This is how I’ve been preparing broccoli and protein (shrimp or salmon.) I still wolf it down too fast like Krista is going to pop from one end or the other at any moment. 😹🤦🏼‍♂️

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 , you have a very technologic house. All those servers, monitors, a camera for watching Krista while you were away, and a Dyson air purifier, wow!
And lots of memories of your cat all over the place...

I know what you mean when you say you feel kind of a liberation during a time between cats. The fact is that you don't know how long this time is. It may be weeks, months, years.
When Lola died from a mouth cancer, like your Cabbie, I felt like I was lifted from the ground due to the heavy hospicing I had to do for her. It was a mixed feeling. I was desperate for the loss of my sweet kitty, I was happy that she was free of pain at last, I felt lost because I didn't have anything important to do any longer, no cats to take care of (little or nothing did I know that in a very few months I was going to find myself again in another nightmare with my other cat!), I had so much spare time that I felt like I was drunk, and didn't even know what to do with it.
When Pallina died too, I found myself without cats in the house for the first time in 18 years. A sense of dismay, bewilderment. It lasted 48 hours, though. Two days later I found a dying kitten in a garbage bin. I took her home and did all the best to save her, but she lost an eye anyway. The fate was having fun with me, the following day I found another dying kitten... When I took him to the clinic they told me that only half an hour later and it would have been too late for him. I kept them both at home, but it was clear from the beginning that they weren't going to be my "new cats", they were at home for the time needed to find them a forever home. Which happened a few weeks later. So, though I was fostering them, it was like I had no cats, my heart didn't open to them, my house was still cold and empty. Same thing for the three other kittens I fostered in the following year.

At last, I decided it was time to adopt one. I found a wonderful kitten that was looking for home. I drove 200 miles to and 200 miles from the rescue to take her home with me. But it wasn't meant to be. That kitten didn't want to stay with us, and two months later we had to rehome her (in agreement with the rescue group that adopted her out to me).

I was ready for a cat, my heart was ready, but forcing a cat into our home that way didn't work.

Then I found the right one, a feral kitten with a sweet heart. And a year later I found another tiny kitten in a desperate situation. They are my new cats now.

This is to say that a cat must find their way to our hearts at the right moment, when they think it's time, not the other way round.
I hope a kitten in need find the way to you door soon, to fill the void you have in your heart.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t remember if you’re vegetarian. I’m a recovering vegan. More pescatarian now. I love eggs and fish. I’m finally getting better at eating more greens and cooking easy meals again. Tonight I had bok choy and shiitake with red chili paste and freeze-dried garlic. The last few times I made this was with shrimp. But tonight I made it with seared ahi tuna. 😋 That was the last of the bok choy from my last Instacart that didn’t spoil. (I’m still trying to right size my greens order to prevent spoilage.) I also add veggie dogs to my weekly Instacart and top them with Amy’s chili, cheese, scallions, and sauerkraut. This is four meals (2 dogs per meal.) And I’m working on perfecting my quick red curry recipe with red curry paste, coconut milk, pesto, and a touch of brown sugar. This is how I’ve been preparing broccoli and protein (shrimp or salmon.) I still wolf it down too fast like Krista is going to pop from one end or the other at any moment. 😹🤦🏼‍♂️
All of those dishes sound good! I was vegetarian for most of my adult life but developed anemia and thought (not accurately) that I needed animal protein. Now I occasionally eat chicken (if my roomie brings some home and wants me to have some) or tuna in a couple of recipes I enjoy including tuna melts. So I'm eating cheese, and occasionally yoghurt, even though I'm lactose intolerant. *Nothing makes sense any more* Vegan is still my choice, but it's difficult with roomies who are definitely not vegetarian or vegan. I used to get sick when I smelled meat cooking and I probably would again if I avoided it entirely. So it's more of a concession to having them here (except for the tuna. I just love tuna and TUNO, the vegan alternative, doesn't make it).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 , you have a very technologic house. All those servers, monitors, a camera for watching Krista while you were away, and a Dyson air purifier, wow!
And lots of memories of your cat all over the place...

I know what you mean when you say you feel kind of a liberation during a time between cats. The fact is that you don't know how long this time is. It may be weeks, months, years.
When Lola died from a mouth cancer, like your Cabbie, I felt like I was lifted from the ground due to the heavy hospicing I had to do for her. It was a mixed feeling. I was desperate for the loss of my sweet kitty, I was happy that she was free of pain at last, I felt lost because I didn't have anything important to do any longer, no cats to take care of (little or nothing did I know that in a very few months I was going to find myself again in another nightmare with my other cat!), I had so much spare time that I felt like I was drunk, and didn't even know what to do with it.
When Pallina died too, I found myself without cats in the house for the first time in 18 years. A sense of dismay, bewilderment. It lasted 48 hours, though. Two days later I found a dying kitten in a garbage bin. I took her home and did all the best to save her, but she lost an eye anyway. The fate was having fun with me, the following day I found another dying kitten... When I took him to the clinic they told me that only half an hour later and it would have been too late for him. I kept them both at home, but it was clear from the beginning that they weren't going to be my "new cats", they were at home for the time needed to find them a forever home. Which happened a few weeks later. So, though I was fostering them, it was like I had no cats, my heart didn't open to them, my house was still cold and empty. Same thing for the three other kittens I fostered in the following year.

At last, I decided it was time to adopt one. I found a wonderful kitten that was looking for home. I drove 200 miles to and 200 miles from the rescue to take her home with me. But it wasn't meant to be. That kitten didn't want to stay with us, and two months later we had to rehome her (in agreement with the rescue group that adopted her out to me).

I was ready for a cat, my heart was ready, but forcing a cat into our home that way didn't work.

Then I found the right one, a feral kitten with a sweet heart. And a year later I found another tiny kitten in a desperate situation. They are my new cats now.

This is to say that a cat must find their way to our hearts at the right moment, when they think it's time, not the other way round.
I hope a kitten in need find the way to you door soon, to fill the void you have in your heart.
I've been working in tech for the last couple decades. Collecting it at home is something of an occupational hazard. 😹

I had been taking care of a stray on and off for a few weeks. Turns out he was merely a neighbor's cat. Whenever I let him roam inside while preparing a meal for him, there was a feeling of violation when he would poke around some of Krista's favorite spots or he would linger on her smell somewhere. But I've also been following lots of cats on Instagram. Some of my favorites are the fosters where I get to see these rescued cats get fixed up, socialized, and rehomed. It kinda tugs on my desire for a new cat to watch these transformations.

I don't think I have the energy for a kitten anymore. I'd like a "teenager" again. Krista was two years old when I adopted her from the shelter. I think Cabbie was closer to 4 when she came to live with me. But I also knew her as a kitten when I was a summer boarder in friends' house during college. She took an instant liking to me despite (and probably because) I wanted nothing to do with her. I was allergic to cats at the time. Cabbie would hear nothing of it. A couple weeks of miserable adoration got me over my allergies. 😹😻

I would like to wait until it's safe (Covid) to meet with cats either at the shelter or foster homes. Krista chose me and she was so eager and affectionate in our introduction time at the shelter. I never met a cat who was so much like a dog in her confidence and socialization. She came right up to me, brushed against me, wanted pets, and jumped into my lap. She was too excited and too eager to stay there. She was too adorable to say no to. But I may have already made up my mind just looking at that face of hers. I'd love a similar chance to meet and greet with kitties before taking the next one home.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to foster. And I don't think I could anyway. Too many of them would "fail" and I'd have a house full of cats I couldn't give up. 😹

Last edited: