Remembering Krista

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 5, 2019:
This is probably her gut bothering her. I think the lymphoma was presenting by now. šŸ˜æ I looked back through her thread and it sounds like we already had food issues and poop nonsense going on. Even without a pandemic, Rawz was having supply issues. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

There are a couple of videos. Itā€™s easier to post them to Instagram than here. Donā€™t forget to swipe left (or poke that right side arrow) for more.

*Awww. Poor Krista. Feeling under the weather, definitely.*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 6, 2019:

Playing with her food. I think each line was a different food because we were having issues finding the Rawz flavor she preferred at the time.
8897A367-7BB7-44F9-B46A-582093406F98.jpeg

Strange that I have stretches with one or no pictures of her.
6FE546F8-562F-4104-835F-9C6B8BA382DF.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 6, 2019:

Playing with her food. I think each line was a different food because we were having issues finding the Rawz flavor she preferred at the time.
View attachment 361232

Strange that I have stretches with one or no pictures of her.
View attachment 361233
The same here. I'm always grabbing my phone to capture them, but by the time I get everything ready, a lot of the time, they've moved or they are no longer feeling like being patient with the paparazzi.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same here. I'm always grabbing my phone to capture them, but by the time I get everything ready, a lot of the time, they've moved or they are no longer feeling like being patient with the paparazzi.
Iā€™ve posted 100s of shots already that show Krista was far from bashful. šŸ˜½
Itā€™s sad that almost all my pictures are from her last couple years. Like I didnā€™t have her for 12 years before that. šŸ˜æšŸ˜¢ But itā€™s odd even among these last couple years, there are spurts where I have more than I need for a post (is there such a thing?) and others where I have nothing. In 2018, my next picture of her isnā€™t until the 9th. Before 2018, I have two or three shots each from 2017 and 2016. And then nothing between ā€˜04 and ā€˜16. Somewhere Iā€™m missing shots from flash cards past. šŸ˜„

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so grateful that I have enough video footage of her to capture her voice into my phone shortcuts like I did. I get a smile and a chuckle out of those times that setting my phone down on the desk will register as a double or triple tap and I unexpectedly hear her trill or trill meow come out. šŸ˜»

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so grateful that I have enough video footage of her to capture her voice into my phone shortcuts like I did. I get a smile and a chuckle out of those times that setting my phone down on the desk will register as a double or triple tap and I unexpectedly hear her trill or trill meow come out. šŸ˜»
I expect that elicits some interesting responses at the office? *If you're going in at all*
Yeah, same here. Some actual months where I didn't take any pix at all. How could that happen???:sigh:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I expect that elicits some interesting responses at the office? *If you're going in at all*
Yeah, same here. Some actual months where I didn't take any pix at all. How could that happen???:sigh:
I havenā€™t been in the office since the end of February. At the end of last month, I got an email saying our work from home order has been extended through June. This is part of my decision to hold off on NC. You know the saying, ā€œfamiliarity breeds discontentā€? As wonderful as Krista was, I was grateful (we both were) for our time apart. I half jokingly called her my ā€œfur ball and chain.ā€ šŸ˜¾šŸ˜¹šŸ˜» These past few weeks, there has been construction outside my apartment unit (repair and paintingā€”lots of loud noises) and Iā€™ve had nowhere to go to avoid it. Office is closed. Library is closed. Tap room patio is open (until tomorrowā€™s stay at home order goes into effect) but itā€™s packed with laughing, talking, maskless people. Thereā€™s supposed to be distancing. But everyone knows each other so thereā€™s mixing of social groups. I turn up my music at home and count the hours until theyā€™re done. Until weā€™re all done.

Among my other hesitations to jump back into cat guardianship besides how nervous I would be living alone with a dependent in the middle of a surging deadly pandemic is the restrictions on vet care access. It upsets me how a great cat like OC has been turned out at least twice now likely both times because Covid has restricted his access to a neuter. I donā€™t want to put another cat through that. And I donā€™t have the patience or spirit to put up with such restrictions. What if Krista couldnā€™t get her dental work last year because some idiot in Sacramento deemed it elective?

If the vaccine is coming and if something more normal is just another year away, I can wait. I certainly have no shortage of projectsā€”health, home, hobbies, and careerā€”to keep me occupied. I keep seeing so much opportunity for myself in this pandemic. If only I could get over myself and refocus my energies in efforts that matter instead of activities that donā€™t. I have been catching up on Star Trek franchises. šŸ––

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I havenā€™t been in the office since the end of February. At the end of last month, I got an email saying our work from home order has been extended through June. This is part of my decision to hold off on NC. You know the saying, ā€œfamiliarity breeds discontentā€? As wonderful as Krista was, I was grateful (we both were) for our time apart. I half jokingly called her my ā€œfur ball and chain.ā€ šŸ˜¾šŸ˜¹šŸ˜» These past few weeks, there has been construction outside my apartment unit (repair and paintingā€”lots of loud noises) and Iā€™ve had nowhere to go to avoid it. Office is closed. Library is closed. Tap room patio is open (until tomorrowā€™s stay at home order goes into effect) but itā€™s packed with laughing, talking, maskless people. Thereā€™s supposed to be distancing. But everyone knows each other so thereā€™s mixing of social groups. I turn up my music at home and count the hours until theyā€™re done. Until weā€™re all done.

Among my other hesitations to jump back into cat guardianship besides how nervous I would be living alone with a dependent in the middle of a surging deadly pandemic is the restrictions on vet care access. It upsets me how a great cat like OC has been turned out at least twice now likely both times because Covid has restricted his access to a neuter. I donā€™t want to put another cat through that. And I donā€™t have the patience or spirit to put up with such restrictions. What if Krista couldnā€™t get her dental work last year because some idiot in Sacramento deemed it elective?

If the vaccine is coming and if something more normal is just another year away, I can wait. I certainly have no shortage of projectsā€”health, home, hobbies, and careerā€”to keep me occupied. I keep seeing so much opportunity for myself in this pandemic. If only I could get over myself and refocus my energies in efforts that matter instead of activities that donā€™t. I have been catching up on Star Trek franchises. šŸ––
Well, heck, you have to take care of YOU!
I'm furious about "elective" too, as you probably know. I work every day advocating for cats needing loving homes, in ACCs, humane societies, shelters, and "on the street" and I'm so painfully aware of what "elective" means for every one of them, as well as all of us working so hard to get them safe and loved. It hurts my heart. I'd like to tear the Surgeon General a new one. A bunch of new ones, in fact.
Glad you don't have to go out to work. But I'm aspy and extra noise-sensitive too, and I know how agonizing it can be to have no escape from noise. I have noisy neighbors on either side and quite a few in the neighborhood. And it's a place where a lot of people feel the call of Home Depot and Keeping Up With whomever...and do a lot of remodeling. I can actually handle construction noise in and of itself, just not the music and the yelling that construction crews do. There's a place down the street that's being rebuilt from the ground up. Fortunately it's far enough away that I really don't hear anything except occasional pounding if the door's open. But yeah, it feels like being in a trap if it's getting to you and you can't get away from it! Neither you nor NC deserves that stress.
That's only logical.šŸ––

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found some old pictures in my Dropbox.

Dec 4, 2014:
Proof that I did have her before 2018! šŸ˜¹

I used to have a glass dining table.
4629BDE4-03AC-4FA0-9D72-C7E213D61CBC.jpeg 582C4B9E-DF13-4AB4-92DD-071727D733DE.jpeg 22DE8A98-0E26-4E1D-8A98-E74DE71979C0.jpeg B8C283BE-3F59-4C55-AABC-020538D63E58.jpeg 192B02A4-8AA8-43D7-9340-E8A16367090D.jpeg C168FF5C-638C-4AB1-B58B-860435176FCD.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found some old pictures in my Dropbox.

Dec 4, 2014:
Proof that I did have her before 2018! šŸ˜¹

I used to have a glass dining table.
View attachment 361350View attachment 361351View attachment 361352View attachment 361353View attachment 361354View attachment 361355
These are great! Are you familiar with the work of cat lover and photographer Bob Walker? He and his wife, Frances Mooney, lived south of L.A. at one time in a house they devoted entirely to their cats and the appreciation of all things feline, called, appropriately, The Cats' House. They've since moved, but during those times, they were extensively covered in the media on various TV shows, and they've published a series of books devoted to cats and house. Some of my favorite photos of theirs include cats on glass tables, from below.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are great! Are you familiar with the work of cat lover and photographer Bob Walker? He and his wife, Frances Mooney, lived south of L.A. at one time in a house they devoted entirely to their cats and the appreciation of all things feline, called, appropriately, The Cats' House. They've since moved, but during those times, they were extensively covered in the media on various TV shows, and they've published a series of books devoted to cats and house. Some of my favorite photos of theirs include cats on glass tables, from below.
I might get a glass dining table again just to have another shot at these with NC. I suspect so many pictures are just lost to old flash cards and hard drives before the days of cloud storage. I found a smattering of shots on Dropbox that I didn't have in Apple or Google. But much of her life was lived before these services, before smartphones and decent phone cameras. What came before that? Flash cards and USB uploads from digital cameras. And those got stored on internal and external hard drives that have long since crashed or wiped clean before recycling them as e-waste. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ˜æ There might be some CDROM backups of old computers in my snake pit somewhere. That's a winter pandemic project. I just might have some old Sun workstations that the Computer History Museum might be interested in. šŸ˜¹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might get a glass dining table again just to have another shot at these with NC. I suspect so many pictures are just lost to old flash cards and hard drives before the days of cloud storage. I found a smattering of shots on Dropbox that I didn't have in Apple or Google. But much of her life was lived before these services, before smartphones and decent phone cameras. What came before that? Flash cards and USB uploads from digital cameras. And those got stored on internal and external hard drives that have long since crashed or wiped clean before recycling them as e-waste. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ˜æ There might be some CDROM backups of old computers in my snake pit somewhere. That's a winter pandemic project. I just might have some old Sun workstations that the Computer History Museum might be interested in. šŸ˜¹
Yeah, same here, on everything except that last. Adding pix on old pre-Smart cell phones, too. AND -- believe it or don't! -- 35mm. Hundreds and hundreds in cardboard cartons in my office closet, and many in photo albums in a couple of locations in the house. And even going all the way back to pix of my big brofur that my dad took. He was 3 when I was born. *Uh, my big bro, not my dad.*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 10, 2019:
Releasing the poop series a couple days early. Her lymphoma is presenting. Thereā€™s a carpet bomb (the first one made a box) and the poop puke over by the kitchen entrance.

For just a fleeting moment, you see the closest thing to a guilty face on her:
FF3DD511-FCB5-416A-8DE7-E4055660E56A.jpeg
And sheā€™s over it. Now sheā€™s annoyed I havenā€™t plated replacement for the give-back. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
70548A2E-DC33-419C-976C-580F9D796C1E.jpeg 76752280-F4D6-484B-A0C6-7749F4B9A27B.jpeg
Not even the noisy grinding of a Spot Bot can deter her from eating.
BB3B1E43-BA17-4972-8A70-823DA620773A.jpeg CDAB2146-1A0C-47D9-9573-314770754151.jpeg
ā€œyou may be noisy. But you donā€™t scare me!ā€ šŸ˜¼šŸ˜»
C2FA7F05-AE88-4363-A451-1395080EACCA.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 10, 2019:
Releasing the poop series a couple days early. Her lymphoma is presenting. Thereā€™s a carpet bomb (the first one made a box) and the poop puke over by the kitchen entrance.

For just a fleeting moment, you see the closest thing to a guilty face on her:
View attachment 361475
And sheā€™s over it. Now sheā€™s annoyed I havenā€™t plated replacement for the give-back. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
View attachment 361476View attachment 361477
Not even the noisy grinding of a Spot Bot can deter her from eating.
View attachment 361478View attachment 361479
ā€œyou may be noisy. But you donā€™t scare me!ā€ šŸ˜¼šŸ˜»
View attachment 361480
How well we know that sound! Awww, Krista. Cats are so fastidious and dignified. They really feel it when their bodies fail them like this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 9, 2019:

I wonder if she was feeling pain to sleep with her head against the wall like that. Or if this was just another ā€œcats are weirdā€ moment. Cats can and do sleep in all sorts of weird places and positions. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
December 9, 2019:

I wonder if she was feeling pain to sleep with her head against the wall like that. Or if this was just another ā€œcats are weirdā€ moment. Cats can and do sleep in all sorts of weird places and positions. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
To be honest -- and when aren't aspies honest!?! -- yes, she probably was. Wanting to just sleep it away. The positive is that it may have helped. I do that when I don't feel well, and a lot of times, sleep heals.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest -- and when aren't aspies honest!?! -- yes, she probably was. Wanting to just sleep it away. The positive is that it may have helped. I do that when I don't feel well, and a lot of times, sleep heals.
Her mouth probably should not have been an issue. But the dentist did say there were a couple spots on the x-rays that he couldn't tell whether they were root fragments or "ghosts" (shadows) on the film. And when asked if he could remove them, he said, "well, it may not be worth the time and effort. I'd have to really get in there and there's no guarantee that there is a "there" there for me to clean up." I had always hoped her love licks would return when her painful teeth and roots were finally gone. I wonder if it was a learned avoidance or if there were still a couple of root fragments causing pain or discomfort. Those very few and far between love licks she did give me, I made sure to thank her every time. Before her extractions began in 2018, I used to have to redirect her to a blanket she would lick so much. She left wet spots on blankets and couches. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ˜¹ šŸ˜»

Now we do know from yesterday's series (which is actually from tomorrow chronologically but I felt like I could use the pick-me-up after a difficult Monday) that her lymphoma was already presenting. So the pain that may be in the video above may be her gut and probably nothing to do with her teeth. šŸ˜æ

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her mouth probably should not have been an issue. But the dentist did say there were a couple spots on the x-rays that he couldn't tell whether they were root fragments or "ghosts" (shadows) on the film. And when asked if he could remove them, he said, "well, it may not be worth the time and effort. I'd have to really get in there and there's no guarantee that there is a "there" there for me to clean up." I had always hoped her love licks would return when her painful teeth and roots were finally gone. I wonder if it was a learned avoidance or if there were still a couple of root fragments causing pain or discomfort. Those very few and far between love licks she did give me, I made sure to thank her every time. Before her extractions began in 2018, I used to have to redirect her to a blanket she would lick so much. She left wet spots on blankets and couches. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ˜¹ šŸ˜»

Now we do know from yesterday's series (which is actually from tomorrow chronologically but I felt like I could use the pick-me-up after a difficult Monday) that she her lymphoma was already presenting. So the pain that may be in the video above may be her gut and probably nothing to do with her teeth. šŸ˜æ
Being spiritual beings in physical bodies sucks while we're in the physical bodies. The positive is that even when we are in significant pain, we very much appreciate and value being loved and cared for and about and that makes the pain more bearable, IMHO.