Remember When

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cleo!!!!!!!!! Yes I remember "slugbug" we used to see one on the interstate, and who ever saw it first and "called" it...would hit the other guy.

And I DO remember "Mother May I" I think it was alot like red light, green light....you got to advance so many steps...etc...WOW what a trip down memory lane!!!!!!!!

How about this....

Jump roping to evie ivy over....then you went as fast as you could!!!

And how about the hand clap game...slide down my rain barrel, into my cellar door....etc....

WOW! I love this trip down memory lane!!! Anyone remember slow pokes?
or what about those Marathon bars, that were really long, and intertwined like a pretzel, but they were chewy carmel covered in chocolate...

And to finish the ditty
I started earlier that we used to play as a hand game, as children....

Miss Betsy had a baby..
she named her sister sue..
she put her in the bathtub..
just to see what she would do...
she drank up all the water, she ate up all the soap...
she tried to eat the bathtub...but it wouldnt go down her throat...throat...throat..
Miss Betsy called the doctor...Miss Betsy called the nurse...Miss Betsy called the lady with the alligator Purse, purse, purse...
In came the doctor...
in came the nurse...
in came the lady with the alligator purse..purse...purse...
Measels said the doctor, mumps said the nurse...nothing said the lady with the alligator Purse, purse, purse...
out went the doctor....out went went the nurse, out went the lady with the aligator purse, purse, purse.

Okay...so it's lame...but when I was a little girl, we loved playing this clapping game...just wondered if anyone else remembered it?
Does anyone remember the "found a peanut" rhyme??

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Debby,

Just wanted to say that where I grew up it was Miss Lucy who had the baby and his name was Tiny Tim. But he had the same experience in the bathtub. What I really want to know is this: were both Miss Betsy and Miss Lucy unwed mothers? That's pretty progressive for the time I was singing that song!

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really have way tooooo much time on my hands....

Found a peanut,
found a peanut,
found a peanut last night.
Last night, I found a peanut,
found a peanut last night.

Looked rotten, looked rotten,
looked rotten last night,
Last night it looked rotten,
looked rotten last night.

Ate it anyway, ate it anyway,
ate it anyway last night,
last night I ate it anyway,
ate it anyway last night,

It goes on to being sick, calling the doctor and I believe dying last night!!!

Somebody save me from myself!!!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Harriet!

Got sick, got sick, got sick just now, just now I got sick, got sick just now....

call the doctor, call the doctor, call the doctor just now....just now I called the doctor, called the doctor just now.

operation, operation, operation just now, just now operation, operation just now.

Died anyway, died anyway, died anyway just now, just now I died anyway, died anyway just now...

Went to heaven, went to heaven went to heaven just now, just now I went to heaven, went to heaven just now.

chloe111

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
God I remember those hand clap games!! I hadn't thought a thing about them since I was little! There was another one--something about a McDonald's song- wait it's coming to me-

Big Mac Filet 'o Fish
Quarter pounder french fries
Icy coke Milkshakes
Sundaes and Apple Pies:icecream:

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chloe!!!!! I remember that one too!!!! And now I am getting hungry....LOL :laughing:

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were kinda poor
so when we got a new toy, it was a big deal.
I remember getting a "Beautiful Chrissy, the beautiful doll with hair that grows, and grows, and grows"...:girly2: she had a hole in the top of her head with a chunk of hair you could pull to make it long, or turn a wheel in her back to shorten. (sounds pretty freaky now
) I loved that doll, she was involved in an accident involving a baseboard heater, and was never Beautiful again though

In the summer, we had the Slip and Slide...burned your flesh, you stuck to it, and Don't wear anything with metal parts unless you have a patch kit! :laughing2: We loved it too though, and it was especially fun if placed on a hill!

Hills!
did anyone else ever break down a large cardboard box and use it as a Summer Sled? You can really get hauling, and if you find the right hill, you can sometimes catch air...
WHEEEEE!

I love this thread!

Cleo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michelerad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cleo:

You just brought back such a great memory. I had a Chrissy doll too! I cut her hair off and she was never the same
I also had a doll Baby Alive where her mouth moved and it actually looked like she was eating.

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele,
Thats what the wheel in her back was for! :LOL:

I have to admit though, I took the scissors to my Barbies, they ended up being Punk before Punk was cool!

I remember Baby Alive...that doll was kinda scary.:bat

Cleo

michelerad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know. When I used the wheel on her short hair it kind of just stuck up on her head like a rooster. It was pretty funny and scary looking at the same time.

tiggeytoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful thread!!!!This has really taken me down memory lane. I remember quiet summer nights sitting out on the porch watching fireflies...catching fireflies...running about the neighborhood until dark or until my mother called me in...no fear of strangers even at dusk...a TV show called I remember MaMa was my very favorite. The whole neighborhood cleared out of Friday nites when that came on. If you didn`t hyave a TV you went to someones house who did. Cleo, I do remember sliding down a grassy hill in an old refrigerator boc...it was the greatest fun. We also climbed into the boxes and rolled down the hill. O remember walking to school avoiding the crack in the sidewalk..."step on a crack, break you mothers back", slapping the hand of someone who found an empty lucky strike cigarette pack(strike me lucky), and "made you look you dirty crook, you stole your mothers pocketbook"

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember the doll that walked when you held her hands? A friend got one for her birthday. We spent hours taking turns walking the doll around!! And remember 'Chatty Cathy?" Wasn't she the first doll to talk?

michelerad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about the Easy Bake Oven. I always burnt everything and as my husband can attest to, I still can't bake

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cleo and Michele!! I remember the Chrissy doll very well!! I didn't have her...but I had two of her sisters....if I remember right, Chrissy had the red hair, and the two I had were blonde (named Velvet) and brunette (named Mia) I still have them both, and in their original outfits, and I even have the box that Velvet came in!! I loved those dolls!!!!
I always wanted a baby alive, but never got one.

And Michele...they still make those easy bake ovens....beleive it or not, my 10 year old stepson wanted one for christmas last year, and uses it alot!!

G

ghostuser

Remember going Trick of Treating and actually being able to eat the candy before the folks checked it for harmful things!!!!

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about those wax lips or vampire fangs that you could chew like gum when they got warm?

Wacky Wall Walkers? They looked like octopuses(sp?)/octopi(sp?).

Water Weenies? Water-filled baloons in a tube form that were very difficult to hold onto. My friends giggled endlessly about these.

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about the clapping song Say Say Oh Playmate?

Say Say oh playmate
come out and play with me
and bring your dollies (kitties) three
climb up my apple tree
slide down my rainbarrel
into my cellar door
and we'll be jolly friends
forever more!

So sorry playmate
I cannot play with you
my dolly (kitty) has the flu
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
ain't got no rainbarrel
aint got no cellar door
but we'll be jolly friends
forever more, more, and more!

I cant believe I still remember that! :laughing2:

Cleo

miss whitney

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! What a collection of memories. I remember some of the same things but I'm in the dark on others. I remember the dolls with the growing hair but not the name. Of course, the Barbie Dolls and some of the games. Some things my mother told me about and others I have read in novels. Very interesting to read.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cleo!!!! Thank you for sharing that hand clap game!!!!

If you read my first post on the page before this one, I was recalling it, but couldn't remember much about it, or how it went!!
Thanks!!!! I think I could still do the hand clapping part just right to it!! I still remember it, now that you refreshed my memory! What a kick!