Remedies for Red Spot under Chin?

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All.

I noticed one side of my cat’s chin turned red and covered with some black spots. There’s no bumps and it’s not fleas. The black spots can be removed by a simple wipe with cotton, but the redness remained.

It doesn’t seem to itch and he doesn’t scratch the spot, though I suspect it was probably oil production from certain food.

What are some remedies for this? Would Vetericyn work? It’s so close to his mouth and he can lick the medicine, so I am not sure what to put that is safe and help ease the redness.

28381428-C841-4119-A8BA-8074A28377B3.jpeg

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like cat acne. It often starts as little black flecks like this in the fur on the chin or around the mouth, and it can be red and irritated.
If he eats out of plastic or silicone bowls, you want to switch to ceramic/metal/glass instead as they think plastic can harbor bacteria that causes acne when cats rub their faces on their bowls while eating.
Sometimes you can simply clean a cat’s chin gently with warm water on a washcloth once a day and that will clear it up. If that works, going forward you can brush his chin with a clean soft toothbrush a few times a week to keep it from coming back.

if the warm water doesn’t work, try the veterycin. That’s one of the things my vet recommended for our kitten’s chin acne.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like cat acne. It often starts as little black flecks like this in the fur on the chin or around the mouth, and it can be red and irritated.
If he eats out of plastic or silicone bowls, you want to switch to ceramic/metal/glass instead as they think plastic can harbor bacteria that causes acne when cats rub their faces on their bowls while eating.
Sometimes you can simply clean a cat’s chin gently with warm water on a washcloth once a day and that will clear it up. If that works, going forward you can brush his chin with a clean soft toothbrush a few times a week to keep it from coming back.

if the warm water doesn’t work, try the veterycin. That’s one of the things my vet recommended for our kitten’s chin acne.
Thank you! He eats out of ceramic bowl. This is his first time having black flecks (in three years). I will try using warm water for now.

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first kitty, Zipper, used to get chin acne all the time - didn't matter what kind of bowl I fed him from, or how often I washed it. I ended up getting some benzoyl peroxide shampoo (you can get pet varieties - I used Davis' brand) to keep on hand. A warm washcloth, some shampoo rubbed in, and then the warm washcloth again, and it usually cleared up within a few days.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Morty had a terrible case of cat acne. It started with the black spots and ultimately turned into a huge bloody scab all over his chin. We switched from the plastic bowls but it didn't do much. Ultimately the vet told us to buy a 5% benzoyl peroxide cream and it did the trick. They also gave his some antibiotics because it looked mildly infected. It returns from time to time and thankfully the cream will always get rid of it.