Relocation

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the AC in my apartment broke, it's said to reach 106 outside, in the house it was 84 degrees. I choose to leave the house and stay in a hotel, I'm very nervous because I'm bring my two girls with me. I don't want to leave them in the house when it would be so hot. I thought it would be better for them to stay in the hotel with me but my brother is saying how dumb I am because of it and not my regretting it. Do you think it was a good idea? I know relocating them was stressful but I couldn't bare having them in a house that would be soo hot

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd take them with me. It's such a short amount of time, for their own safety and comfort. I didn't like taking my cats to hotels with me either, but it was 2 nights out of three days in the car to get from our old home to the new one.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your normal DSH wouldn't be bothered, at all, by 84F. I doubt that would even cause my crew to move from their carpeted trees/fluffy beds/couches to the floor tiles! Long-hairs and overweight cats are another topic though.

Where I live (Phoenix), outdoor cats don't really show signs of stress until the temperature gets above 105F. As an example, 3 of my current brood were living in my backyard last summer, before I could convince them to move inside. It hit 121F, with a period where daily temps were well above 115F. Those days were clearly unpleasant for them, as they would lay against the back door for the chilled sliding door track and glass. But outside of that rather brutal period, any shady spot was fine for them.

So, maybe your brother has a point. But who cares? They would have been stressed without you anyway! Don't regret a thing.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't doubt your decision. You did what you saw best for you and your kitties. Hope you get your AC fixed soon.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, how nice of you!!!! About 5 years ago, I had my house tented for termites and had to get my girls out. I found a very nice place that would take humans and cats! We were careful when we opened doors, but they did very well, getting food and water and a bed to hide under for a few days. They were fine when we took them home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: My AC has been fixed and I have brought my girls back to the house, thank you guys for the advice!