Relocation Help

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm relocating to a new city for my new job and planning on taking my two kittens with me. My roommate in the new city has a cat of her own who is actually littermate with my kittens. However, the one time we tried reintroducing them to each other her kitten was hissing and hid under the drawers the whole time we were there. My kittens, on the other hand, were too busy exploring the new surrounding to pay attention to any of that. Now they'll have to live together and not sure what the best way would be to reintroduce them. We're getting a new place together so it'll be a new environment for all of them. I plan on living at my roommate's current apartment until the contract ends and don't plan on bringing the kittens until the new place is ready. I'm most worried that it'll be two against one and that my kittens would forget about me in the 2 months we'll be away from each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
You could leave some unwashed t-shirts or socks with your kittens, and no, they won't forget you :)
Also try some scent swapping of kittens' blankets, back and forth a couple times.

Then, take a look at this for when everyone is together;
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Aww that’s reassuring to hear :)
This move is stressful for me and the kittens don’t make it easy. I’ll definitely try the unwashed T-shirt tactic and the blanket swapping.

Thank you!

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they all spayed/neutered and fully vaccinated?
Yes, they’ve all been spayed/neutered at 3 month (currently 4 months old) and vaccinated. The vet has advised that I just need to come back for the mid-annual checkup. My cats are strictly indoor cats whereas her cat ventures outside from time to time. We’ve been using Revolution for the prevention med.

shieara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think they will forget you in two months.

When my cat Pixie had her kittens (she was a stray that showed up pregnant), I gave two of them to my brother who lives twelve hours away. When I went to visit him a few months later they still remembered me.

tweetkit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think they will forget you in two months.

When my cat Pixie had her kittens (she was a stray that showed up pregnant), I gave two of them to my brother who lives twelve hours away. When I went to visit him a few months later they still remembered me.
That’s good to know~ I’ve only been away from them for couple hours at a time so hopefully they’ll be okay during the separation.