Relocating To Another State By Airplane And Have Two Cats.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, but I might be moving to a different state from North Carolina to Florida this coming Spring. What is the easiest transition for me in this situation? This is stressing me out. I do not want to rid the cats. How are they flown with me? How is this done? Which airline is the most reasonable and economical for cat travel? I truly appreciate your comments or feedback!!!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First of all, welcome to TCS! I've flown with my cat Saipha numerous times. The safest and easiest way to do it is to take them with you into the cabin. You would have to get a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you. Do NOT check them into the cargo hold if at all possible. Too many horror stories of cats in poorly temperature controlled areas.

The hard part is that only one cat is allowed per passenger to take into the cabin. Is there anyone traveling with you? Each of you could take one cat. If not, is there a friend you could ask to accompany you for the trip?

The other thing I would suggest is to get your cats used to wearing a harness. It's okay if they go limp or refuse to move; just get them used to wearing it for a few hours at a time. The reason this is helpful is because you're going to need to take your cats out of their carriers and carry them through security. Having them in harness with a tight hold on the leash will greatly reduce the risk of your cat panicking and escaping into a busy airport. Once you're through security, you can put them back in their carriers and then take off the harness.

Airlines have different fees for bringing cats aboard. The budget airlines like Frontier and Spirit have the lowest fees, so I would recommend them.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't get rid of your kitties because of your long-distance move. Think of it like finding you had to move across the country but you had twin babies - - - you'd know it wouldn't be the easiest flight in the world, but you'd never leave your babies behind because it's a bit of a daunting process! :)
In the life of you (and your cats) - this is actually just a tiny blip of time and inconvenience - well worth it for all in the end for all!

Ardina Ardina is on-the-nose--- the toughest part is that each cat needs to be accompanied by a ticketed human passenger. I've had friends who were flying alone with 2 cats - they paid for another friend to fly cheaply with them, just to get the second cat through. Definitely do some research online-you'll find lots of info on flying with cats - - and each airline has their restrictions/requirements about flying with pets on their own sites, as not all are exactly the same! And sometimes it's possible online to actually find people who need to get from where you are to where you are going, and by paying them a small fee, they will be your "second person." I don't know anyone who's actually done that, but have read several articles about people who have. It's also important that you research airlines and their policies, and make a decision as soon as possible, as most airlines limit the TOTAL number of pets in a cabin at once - - as in, not just how many YOU have, but how many are allowed in the cabin TOTAL. So check and book early, as you don't want to miss out!

One site to start with that has some good basic info is below:
Flying With Your Cat for the First Time | GoPetFriendly.com

You also will want to talk with your vet before flying - - many people find it helps their cat handle the entire process with a little bit of medical "relaxation" help.

Good luck - and let us know what happens! People do it every day - - - you'll get through it, as will your kitties - -and before you know it, you'll all be enjoying the sunshine of Florida!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are only going from NC to Fla? Why not drive? I moved a longer distance with my first cat, and I drove because I didn't want to deal with a plane ride that might terrorize her.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a very short move. Are you sure you can't just drive it? But it will be a short flight too, so I wouldn't worry too much about putting in the cargo space, if you do decide to fly.

Stray Cathouse Madame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, and especially if you're moving from NC to FL, coming from and going to the East coast, consider Amtrak, if it turns out that you can't drive down or have a 2nd person fly with you. Takes longer, but it may turn out to be more feasible for you.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never flown with pets, but there's a lot of great advice on here.

But if flying turns out to be too cost-prohibitive or difficult, I would recommend just driving! I have driven several cats 10-14 hours over a couple different trips; seven different cats in total. All of them were cats that have rarely or never been in a car before, and three of them weren't even mine.

If you can't drive them, you can also look for services that specialize in transporting pets via ground or air, but I haven't used any personally.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my niece just drives from virginia to miami. 14 hours with a cat, and a dog in the car. lol she just puts a litter box. the cat sometimes uses it, sometimes doesnt.

if you do choose to do the drive, you can prep your cat with mini car rides to see how they handle it. my cat freaks out with car rides. if your cat hates it, you can use feliway. or give them time to get used to car rides. or medication.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats ride in a car well, some don't. After one unhappy automobile experience, I decided to fly from NC to FL to pick up my next kitten. The breeder was willing to ship the kitten, but I did not want him flying in the luggage compartment. :dizzycat:

16 months ago it costs $125, in addition to ticket cost, to take a cat with you in the cabin on American Airlines. I used American because their schedule was best for me. If I had flown a cheaper airline, I would have had to stay the weekend, which would have been difficult. Make your reservation early so you can get it cheaper, of course, but also because there are only so many animals allowed per flight. You must reserve a spot for your cat. American has a page that has the requirements for transporting a pet. Traveling with pets - Special assistance - American Airlines I suspect other airlines have something similar.

I met the breeder at the airport, petted the kitten while I talked to the breeder, put the harness on the kitten and put him in my carrier. Then I checked in for my flight. The ticket agent must approve the carrier. If they judge it too small for the cat, they will not let you fly with him. The cat must be able to easily turn around in the carrier.

Then you go to security where you must hold the cat while the agents inspect the carrier to make sure there is nothing in there that shouldn't be. Definitely have a harness on your cat and a leash on the harness. This would be a bad time for your cat to escape.:runningcat:;)

Once I boarded the plane, I put the carrier with the kitten under the seat in front of me. It worked out great as the kitten did not make a sound and no one knew I had a cat until I told them. There was an empty seat beside me and the person two over was a cat lover, so it was a very enjoyable trip. :D

In the future, I will transport a cat like this if it is feasible. When you have an unhappy cat and you are on the interstate, it can be difficult to find a safe place to pull over and comfort him. When you fly with the cat and take him with you in the cabin, you are able to give him attention and see to his needs at any time.

However you decide to transport your kitties, I hope everything works out for the best. :thumbsup: