Relocating Semi Ferals To My New House

Jeanette090909

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to hear success stories, suggestions, and encouragement for moving my small colony of semi ferals to my new house.

Our journey began almost four years ago when I saw a lactating momma foraging for food at the edge of the woods across the street from my house. I TNR'd her, her kittens, their kittens and a Tomcat that I think may have had a home at one time. Lots of sweat and tears later, I have three cats left. The tomcat (age unknown), a female (3 years and about 6 months old), and her son (3 years old). They live in my yard and very rarely wander farther than my next door neighbors.

The reason I call them semi ferals is because I am able to pet the tomcat and the son. I actually even picked the son up a couple times. He froze, but did not attack me. However, female is wary of me and I have a feeling I will never be able to touch her.

Okay so here's my current situation. We are moving in 3 weeks and I am taking the cats with me. I have to keep them contained at the new house. I bought a Trixie Outdoor enclosure that I plan to situate outside of a window on the detached garage. I will be building an enclosure on the inside of that same window so they will have an indoor/outdoor area. I will provide dirt boxes, cat grass, tree limbs, toys, etc to both enclosures.

My worry nerves are acting up. What will I do if they hate it and constantly cry to get out? What will I do if they actually do get out somehow? How long will it take for them to acclimate? And on, and on, and on..... I know my mind is creating problems that aren't even happening, but I'd like to be prepared as possible for this transition.

Do any of you have success stories, suggestions, or encouragement to offer?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a success story for you! I moved almost a year and a half ago. I had 3 inside kitties ( 2 former ferals) and 3 feral cats ( I could pet them all just not pick up or handle) living on my deck that I had taken care of for many years. I moved almost an hour away. I decided when I made the move that it was time to try them with inside living. I had a back up plan to build a catio if things went south.

Long story short.... I did it. I was able to get them all into carriers and moved them into my old home before I moved. I had a mobile vet come for SNAP test and other vaccines. They had been TNR'd years ago so they were all neutered.

They did really well. The first few days were very quiet and they hid a lot under a chair. I had been telling them about this for months. Maybe they understood.

Then we made the move. I had a sun room for them that was just off our main living area with french doors that closed all the way. I had to keep them separated from my other 3 cats. They did really well. It was as though once we left the old place, they had no idea what to do in the new space. The smells were different and the sights were different. Never once did they try to escape the room.

They are still skittish, but doing so much better!! We have had bumps in the road, but they are all living inside safe and sound. I never did build the catio (yet still may some day) and they are very afraid of any of the doors leading to outside.

Have you ever thought of bringing them inside to live instead? If not, your plan sounds like a good one. Just be sure they are completely contained for 3-6 weeks. Otherwise they will run and try to find their way back to their former territory.

Welcome to The Cat Site. We are here to help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeanette090909

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a success story for you! I moved almost a year and a half ago. I had 3 inside kitties ( 2 former ferals) and 3 feral cats ( I could pet them all just not pick up or handle) living on my deck that I had taken care of for many years. I moved almost an hour away. I decided when I made the move that it was time to try them with inside living. I had a back up plan to build a catio if things went south.

Long story short.... I did it. I was able to get them all into carriers and moved them into my old home before I moved. I had a mobile vet come for SNAP test and other vaccines. They had been TNR'd years ago so they were all neutered.

They did really well. The first few days were very quiet and they hid a lot under a chair. I had been telling them about this for months. Maybe they understood.

Then we made the move. I had a sun room for them that was just off our main living area with french doors that closed all the way. I had to keep them separated from my other 3 cats. They did really well. It was as though once we left the old place, they had no idea what to do in the new space. The smells were different and the sights were different. Never once did they try to escape the room.

They are still skittish, but doing so much better!! We have had bumps in the road, but they are all living inside safe and sound. I never did build the catio (yet still may some day) and they are very afraid of any of the doors leading to outside.

Have you ever thought of bringing them inside to live instead? If not, your plan sounds like a good one. Just be sure they are completely contained for 3-6 weeks. Otherwise they will run and try to find their way back to their former territory.

Welcome to The Cat Site. We are here to help!

Jeanette090909

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing your awesome story. It makes me so happy to hear about outside kitties moving indoors where it's safer. Unfortunately it's impossible for me to do that. Part of the garage and catio is the best we can do. I will definitely keep them contained for recommended time frame. Although I am hoping they love it so much they'll have no desire to leave the enclosures at all.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I can help or be of any encouragement but all I can say is be very careful. My brother took two kittens from me (I rescued them and his family promised to look after them). He lived way up north and moved hours away with the two kittens (now cats). One of them ran away because imo they were very careless with them. Someone left a door open and this poor kitten I rescued off the streets is now roaming the streets again - has been for months. Almost a year now.

They kept saying they were going to have him neutered but never did and now he's gone.

So, my point is, be very careful. I believe inside and locked away in a basement or room far from major exits is a lot safer.

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I moved cross country with two semi-feral cats and built an outdoor enclosure for them. It was attached to the house and had a cat door which led to a storage room so they were able to get in from the weather. I left the gate to the enclosure unlocked by accident and one of the cats went on a walkabout. She returned 20 minutes later and went right back into the enclosure. The other cat never left. We moved cross country again and built a catio for them...no issues. I had the same worry as you regarding taking away their freedom.
I recently trapped and neutered a feral cat and I was sure he would not get used to being in a catio, but he took to it so well and he just learned to meow for his treats. We call him Squeeky because it sounds just like a little squeak when he calls to us. Cats know when they are safe and really do appreciate when they are given shelter and safety.
Don’t worry, it will work out. You already have a relationship with them, so there is already trust built up in the trust bank account.

Jeanette090909

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if I can help or be of any encouragement but all I can say is be very careful. My brother took two kittens from me (I rescued them and his family promised to look after them). He lived way up north and moved hours away with the two kittens (now cats). One of them ran away because imo they were very careless with them. Someone left a door open and this poor kitten I rescued off the streets is now roaming the streets again - has been for months. Almost a year now.

They kept saying they were going to have him neutered but never did and now he's gone.

So, my point is, be very careful. I believe inside and locked away in a basement or room far from major exits is a lot safer.
I do plan to be really careful. I'm also going to take some precautions just in case of mishap. This will sound yucky, but I believe doing this is better than losing one....removing their waste and placing it around the perimeter of our yard. I am reading a lot and putting a lot of thought in to this endeavor. I'm very sorry to hear about the missing kitten you entrusted to your brother.

Jeanette090909

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved cross country with two semi-feral cats and built an outdoor enclosure for them. It was attached to the house and had a cat door which led to a storage room so they were able to get in from the weather. I left the gate to the enclosure unlocked by accident and one of the cats went on a walkabout. She returned 20 minutes later and went right back into the enclosure. The other cat never left. We moved cross country again and built a catio for them...no issues. I had the same worry as you regarding taking away their freedom.
I recently trapped and neutered a feral cat and I was sure he would not get used to being in a catio, but he took to it so well and he just learned to meow for his treats. We call him Squeeky because it sounds just like a little squeak when he calls to us. Cats know when they are safe and really do appreciate when they are given shelter and safety.
Don’t worry, it will work out. You already have a relationship with them, so there is already trust built up in the trust bank account.
Thank you so much dragonlady2. Your post really warmed my heart and your experience is very encouraging.