Relocating my feral

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I have 2 feral cats who have been living where i used to work for about 5 years. The company closed and I don't work there anymore, as of 2018. It's an hour away but I manage to get there once a week to refill their dry food bins and refill their water. I give them treats and wet food every Saturday. Someone I know owns a barn and she is offering to take my 2 ferals in her barn. I'm afraid that someday, the property owners will rent out the space and ask me to move them. I don't know if I should wait, until they ask me to move them, or trap them and bring them to her barn. I heard relocating ferals isn't ideal but I want to give them the best life. If they were closer to me, I could feed them wet food 3 times a week. I know dry food is fine, but again, i have to travel an hour just to see them so I can only go once a week. What would you guys do? I need help with this, I'm so stressed.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better to relocate them when it is your decision rather than all in a rush when someones says "Sold the place, get the cats out now!"

The barn owner needs to understand the cats must be confined for a few weeks so they learn the barn is now home. Also, if done now the weather is good so when they are allowed out they will have end of summer and all of autumn to adapt before winter weather arrives.

You are a very good person to be so caring for these cats. Do you have any pictures of these two much loved cats?

Do let us know the next chapter of this story.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that it is better to do this before the emergency hits, especially something unseen that might not even give you time to react.

As was stated, just make sure that the barn owner is experienced with relocating ferals and knows that they have to be confined. Very important.

The feral colony that I helped maintain at my work place a few years ago....with the approval of the management....was in a back parking lot. Eventually, they needed to resurface and did warn us of this coming AND at the same time a couple of street dogs began to kill cats at night. So we had the emergency evac with several of us grabbing cats with any degree of feralness and taking them to our houses.