Relocating Ferals

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I finally trapped my feral and I need to get some guidance for when I bring her home from her doctors appointment tomorrow.

I have a catio being put up in my backyard. When I bring her home, it will be dark and I''m not sure if i should put her in her catio until I trap her mama and put her in there too. Baby is my ferals name but she is 7 years old and loves her mama but mama doesn't really like her as much. I feel like I have to bring her mama to keep her company. The question is do I crate her in my garage until I trap mama or do i put her in the catio by herself? I don't think i want to put her in the catio by herself yet. Does anyone have ANY advice as this is my first relocation of ferals.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could keep her in the trap covered for the night in your garage or inside in a spare bathroom. I used to just put a tarp down incase they peed. You then could move her to the catio in the morning.

I would think she would be happier in the catio than staying in a crate until you trap the Mom.

Thank you for trapping her and getting her spayed and making her a safe place to live.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, a crate is much more confining and scary to a feral. I am trapping myself and know how much anxiety there can be. I got all the females done so far, have the male 'teenager' left and two 'teenies' (3 months old) that will be done in the spring. I dread standing out there now in the cold, because I have to selectively catch him now, the females still go into the traps, even after their previous experiences! I am going to try the bottle with a string method, (propping the door open) I just hope they don't start playing with the string!