Relocating feral cats

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once they have been trapped, they can get really skittish. You say they will go into a drainage pipe...what about setting up the trap in a tunnel of some sort. There are some nylon kids tunnels or a large pipe from a home improvement/lumber yard. Try placing some straw just at the beginning of the trap and using the tuna/Kentucky fried chicken as the bait.
Or, is the drainage pipe large enough to hold the trap? Maybe you can cover the trap and add some catnip?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once they have been trapped, they can get really skittish. You say they will go into a drainage pipe...what about setting up the trap in a tunnel of some sort. There are some nylon kids tunnels or a large pipe from a home improvement/lumber yard. Try placing some straw just at the beginning of the trap and using the tuna/Kentucky fried chicken as the bait.
Yeah, it's a drain....not exactly a pipe. But that was a great idea. And i tried the fried chicken. She doesn't like it!! Can you imagine? I'm doing some heavy praying about this. Ugh.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your catio looks really terrific! Several years ago, I brought into my home a semi-feral cat and a stray cat who I had been feeding and sheltering outdoors for about three years. At the time, I considered building a catio and did a lot of research. Once you start Googling "catios" you will find tons of examples and information! Even though you are purchasing a ready-made catio, you could get some ideas to help you decide on location, items to put inside, etc.

I bought plans from a company called Catio Spaces and was going to hire someone to build the catio. It was going to be up against my house where a downstairs window could be opened to let them come inside. The two cats did so well and never wanted to go back out so I scrapped my plans and just kept them totally indoors. However, if you have a shed or a room that can be closed off to the rest of the house (initially anyway), you might consider having the catio lead into this inside space.

Good luck with trapping momma and baby! I think you are absolutely making the right decision for the cats as well as for yourself! It will be so nice to not have to make that long trip to feed them and visit!

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your catio looks really terrific! Several years ago, I brought into my home a semi-feral cat and a stray cat who I had been feeding and sheltering outdoors for about three years. At the time, I considered building a catio and did a lot of research. Once you start Googling "catios" you will find tons of examples and information! Even though you are purchasing a ready-made catio, you could get some ideas to help you decide on location, items to put inside, etc.

I bought plans from a company called Catio Spaces and was going to hire someone to build the catio. It was going to be up against my house where a downstairs window could be opened to let them come inside. The two cats did so well and never wanted to go back out so I scrapped my plans and just kept them totally indoors. However, if you have a shed or a room that can be closed off to the rest of the house (initially anyway), you might consider having the catio lead into this inside space.

Good luck with trapping momma and baby! I think you are absolutely making the right decision for the cats as well as for yourself! It will be so nice to not have to make that long trip to feed them and visit!
Thank you so much! I'm having a hard time trapping Baby. She is so sick scratching allllll the time. I look at her and cry. She won't go in the droptrap and so i have a trap set up unset and have been putting food in it. I have a lady going there once a day to put food in the trap but she hasn't seen baby go in it. Only the other cats...I'm so stressed about this. Ugh.

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about getting a larger trap, camouflage it by putting it in a box or covering it with a blanket or cardboard, adding the catnip and try sardines? Or baby food?
I eventually made my own trap that was 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. I had a drop down door which was pretty heavy. There was a steel loop on the top and I tied a yellow nylon rope to it. I then wrapped the rope around a door knob. I put the food in, quickly unwrapped the rope and waited fro them to go in to eat. It took me two tries as I wanted them both in the trap. Like you, they are mother and daughter. As soon as both cats went in and started eating, I let the rope go and the door dropped like a rock. The 4 feet gave me the room I needed as they just didn’t have enough time to jump out.
What about a large dog crate? Will they go in to eat if you are there? I used that to catch and spay/neuter 3 cats that went in together and I was able to slam the door shut on them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
TNR Scenarios: Hard to Trap Cats

These are Alley Cat Allies tips for hard to trap cats.

I have caught cats in large dog crates once they were accustomed to eating in them. Some use nets; I have never done that although you could find videos. Normally this works by putting a fishing type net over the cat, often using the fishing net attached to the frame. Then you drop the cat into a carrier and cut the net away from the frame....or at least that is one variation. If you don't think you are up to that though, I would not even attempt it.

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TNR Scenarios: Hard to Trap Cats

These are Alley Cat Allies tips for hard to trap cats.

I have caught cats in large dog crates once they were accustomed to eating in them. Some use nets; I have never done that although you could find videos. Normally this works by putting a fishing type net over the cat, often using the fishing net attached to the frame. Then you drop the cat into a carrier and cut the net away from the frame....or at least that is one variation. If you don't think you are up to that though, I would not even attempt it.
Thank you. Would you put the crate up and when they walk in, close the door behind them?
The net scares me so much.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't recommend the net unless you would be adept at it. As I said, I have never tried it myself and I think it would be a one chance thing. If it failed, the cat would never trust you again.

With the crate, you close the door behind them as they start to eat. There is an element of time in doing it though and you have to be quick and ready. If the cat will enter the crate with you nearby, it helps.

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't recommend the net unless you would be adept at it. As I said, I have never tried it myself and I think it would be a one chance thing. If it failed, the cat would never trust you again.

With the crate, you close the door behind them as they start to eat. There is an element of time in doing it though and you have to be quick and ready. If the cat will enter the crate with you nearby, it helps.
Hmmmm.......that is an idea. Ok. I think i know someonen who has a dog crate. Thank you and you helped me with my decision to not try to catch her with a net. Someone was talking to me and saying i could do it but I never did it before and it's a one shot deal, like you said. thank you! I'll keep you informed!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are at all interested in the net, watch some videos. Maybe you will feel that you can do it, but to me there are too many variables. One big one is that you absolutely cannot lose your courage once you have a trapped and flailing animal in a net and the next move is up to you. If someone who knows how to do this can do it for you, that might be a consideration. I have a friend in PA who has done this more than once, but she also works as a field officer for the department of fish and wildlife, so a cat is not a big deal to her when it comes to managing animals. That probably says it all.

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are at all interested in the net, watch some videos. Maybe you will feel that you can do it, but to me there are too many variables. One big one is that you absolutely cannot lose your courage once you have a trapped and flailing animal in a net and the next move is up to you. If someone who knows how to do this can do it for you, that might be a consideration. I have a friend in PA who has done this more than once, but she also works as a field officer for the department of fish and wildlife, so a cat is not a big deal to her when it comes to managing animals. That probably says it all.
I will pay her to come help me. I live in Mt Airy MD. Would you be so kind to ask her if she is willing? I could really use the help. I'm loosing my wits. I've been trying to trap her for months.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is having health issues right now so is not able to go anywhere but I will be speaking to her over the weekend and can get her opinion or other insights in doing this. Are there any humane wildlife trapping companies in your area? Trapping one cat would not be a big expense and you want the cat handed over to you, not even transported anyplace. Can you try different baits? I don't know if I would take any more food away from her; one possibility is that she is finding enough food to get by and so is not using the trap. What attracted her to the trap the first time you trapped her?

The Best Bait for Feral Cats (Humane Only!) – The Barn Cat Lady

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is having health issues right now so is not able to go anywhere but I will be speaking to her over the weekend and can get her opinion or other insights in doing this. Are there any humane wildlife trapping companies in your area? Trapping one cat would not be a big expense and you want the cat handed over to you, not even transported anyplace. Can you try different baits? I don't know if I would take any more food away from her; one possibility is that she is finding enough food to get by and so is not using the trap. What attracted her to the trap the first time you trapped her?

The Best Bait for Feral Cats (Humane Only!) – The Barn Cat Lady
Hi there, I put just wet food in the trap but I've trapped her about 4 times now. She isn't fallen for it anymore. I'm going to try to grab her and put her in a carrier. Going there tonight. I can't see her suffer like this anymore.

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, any word from your friend on if she can call me and try to help me? I am desparate now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is not able to help you. You were not able to get her? If you can throw something over her, even net like material, and grab her it might be a possibility. Protect yourself first with long sleeves, jacket, etc. Maybe I discouraged you from trying the net, inadvertantly, and maybe it is something that would work.

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about the other person who feeds them? Would the cat trust her more? Would she be able to maybe use the dog crate idea?

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is not able to help you. You were not able to get her? If you can throw something over her, even net like material, and grab her it might be a possibility. Protect yourself first with long sleeves, jacket, etc. Maybe I discouraged you from trying the net, inadvertantly, and maybe it is something that would work.
I got her!! Thank God!! I dropped trapped her. She is in the trap in my garage right now. I feel horible because i can't get her to the Drs until tomorrow am. When she comes out of the doctors, should I put her in the big catio or should I keep her in my garage until I trap her mama? It's getting cold here now. I bought two houses with heaters in them. I don't know anything about relocating cats. I want to keep an eye on her for a few weeks. I guess I'm still considering putting her in my backyard in the catio. She has suffered too long and I want to make sure she is completely healed. I guess I could use any advice from you that I can get.

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got her!! Thank God!! I dropped trapped her. She is in the trap in my garage right now. I feel horible because i can't get her to the Drs until tomorrow am. When she comes out of the doctors, should I put her in the big catio or should I keep her in my garage until I trap her mama? It's getting cold here now. I bought two houses with heaters in them. I don't know anything about relocating cats. I want to keep an eye on her for a few weeks. I guess I'm still considering putting her in my backyard in the catio. She has suffered too long and I want to make sure she is completely healed. I guess I could use any advice from you that I can get.
Btw, she is about 7 years old. Her mama is probably 8 years old. Baby loves Mama but Mama doesn't love Baby so much. I think she toloerates her. I definatly want to bring Mama with her for company. I have to trap mama soon.

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about the other person who feeds them? Would the cat trust her more? Would she be able to maybe use the dog crate idea?
I dropped trapped her! She is with me now. I'm bringing her in the doctors tomorrow. They couldn't see her today. Can you help me with the relocation part now or are you not experienced with that?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is all spectacular news! You did it! I reread the entire thread and you do have a catio...the one you posted a pic of? Or a couple with heaters? At this point, don't let yourself feel bad about having her confined until you get to the vet. This is all for the much greater good and all rescued ferals go through some less than pleasant time in a trap or confined someplace, as you know from experience. Which confined place is easier for you to work with? More escape proof since that might be the first thing on her mind. She has to stay on your property, in some housing, for at least 4 weeks so that she knows that this is the new home and you can interact with her. In many ways, it is your judgment call based on what your garage and property are like. I might go in the direction of the houses you bought for them if it were me unless your garage is also set up like a shelter. If it is a typical garage with a lot of stuff in it, use the houses. They are now at the location where they are going to live....or Baby is and Mama is hopefully coming. You must be so relieved.