Relocating At Risk Community Cat

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My co worker lives in an area with many community cats that were a part of a TNR program. Unfortunately, not everyone is happy about these cats being there and has left a letter on everyone's door saying he was going to 'dispose' of the cats if no one did anything within a week. (We have no idea who this person was).
This was two weeks ago, and some of the regulars havent been seen around the neighborhood. We assume the worst. My co worker took in the one who bonded to their dog, and they are hoping to relocate one of the guys to my yard until he finishes buying his new home. (He is renting now and trying to lay low about having a pet) He will then take the kitty to his permanent home. I have 7 cats and two dogs already, so I'm not able to take on another indoor kitty right now.
I know relocated community cats tend to try to find there way home. How do I make my place so awesome he wont want to leave. I have a shed and will make him a kitty condo in there. I read somewhere that once you relocate a community cat they should be in a kennel for 6-8 week, but this sounds inhumane to me. Any tips to make this a smooth a transition for him?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you create a space in that shed so that he is contained in one area?
I'm envisioning either a walk-in metal cage, or a floor to ceiling metal panel that goes all the way across from one wall to the other.

Try some music for this kitty, there's MusicForCats . com that may help to calm him.

Do you have people who can sit with this kitty, read to it now and then, or not, talk to it and then just work on a computer, play with a wand toy but stay sitting or crouched, and very important, ---don't use direct eye contact.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Keeping the cat contained for a couple of months might sound cruel, but the cat will be more comfortable that way. When a cat finds himself in a strange area his first instinct is to hunker down in a safe spot. Providing him with an enclosed place to hide is the best way to keep him calm.

A shed sounds perfect. Cover all the windows at first so he won't be alarmed by movement outside. Give him a covered box to hide in and plenty of litter boxes. Don't worry about scooping the litter more than once a day at first. As the shed becomes saturated with his smell it will feel more like home to him. If you can get some earth from the area they used as a toilet in the current location and add it to the cat litter even better.

How many other community cats are there? Have you contacted the TNR group or any other TNR groups in your area? Killing or dumping feral cats is illegal in a lot of places, so if your state is one of the places that has regulations to protect them you should report this to the authorities.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put letters down the whole street to find the guy?
Ask for time to resolve the situation?
What he is doing prolly is illegal, I think if someone is taking care of Ferals the cats kind of belong to them.
they are most likely going in his yard which is solvable
I would call the Humane society and ask for advise?
My friend had a similar problem, and the people contacted the Humane society
and they told these people they could not trap and kill these cats, I think because they were TNR'd and being cared for.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Around here TNR cats are generally safe and will not even be taken by AC so I agree that this is probably illegal. As for confining the cat humanely, you have to consider these situations when dealing with ferals and communities and in this case it is much preferrable to being poisoned or whatever else this guy is doing. If these cats are approachable, he might be "relocating" them someplace where they will never come home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weve tried all of the local rescues and the humane society. We've set up cameras and sent letters to the neighbors. We've gotten some calls back of neighbors saying they want to help us, but no one knows who this jerk is. What he is doing is definitely illegal, but we keep hearing that there's nothing anyone can do. Especially since we don't know who it is. I wish someone would help us, as every time we ve reached out we hear "that's illegal", but no actual help. It's like calling the police to report a robbery and being told "well that's illegal" and nothing else. It's very discouraging as whatever he is doing with the cats it's not in their best interest. And it truly makes me heartbroken for these guys.
From what I understand is there is quite a herd of these cats, but only two that arent completely stray. My coworker took in one and I'm taking the other for now. I'd love to hear some suggestions of what we can do to help the rest of the kitties out as well.

Last edited:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try knocking on doors? you may find the person just by the reaction.
I would plead with him for time if you can find him.
When I put letters on my street for heads up of TNR of cats on the street
I got a couple ladies call me against feeding Ferals, I was able to calm them down a bit, I had to move the feeding away from the one ladies house.
Hey maybe they're being fed by the guys house? hmm
altho I'm suspecting they are going in his yard. Maybe watch where the cats are going and you might find him!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's really frustrating when the police won't help you!

:livid:

Have you tried contacting Alley Cat Allies? They might be able to suggest a course of action you could take.

If the other cats are very feral he must be using a trap to catch them, which means he must be feeding them too. Check back yards for signs of feeding?

Sorry, this is a very upsetting situation. Thank you for trying to help these cats

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Well, 'Skooma' has arrived. We decided against the shed as he couldn't regulate the temperature properly, we couldn't take care of him without opening the huge doors, and there was just no airflow. Since I live in farm country I was able to buy a chicken coop for us to use as a 'safe spot' and enclosure for him. He is definatly scared, but insistent that he be in an area where he can see everything. Not in his house that he had in his old location or even the big coop. Should I throw a tarp over the enclosure till he calms down?

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On one hand, if he wanted to hide he has two great places for that. On the other hand his world may be too big right now for him to relax.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gotcha - is it windy there? Tarps are noisy when they flap in the wind, but if not, maybe that's just the ticket for him to calm a bit :)

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, the wind is horrible today, that's why I was hoping he would be on the house. You make a great point. I'm sure he would get in there if he was cold

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once it got a bit colder I saw him snuggled into his bed. Thank goodness. I'm a bit worried as to the amount of insulation of the coop, so I got him a small igloo style cat bed for tonight so he has a smaller space to heat. I have the snuggle safe being delivered on Monday. My coworker assures me that if he could deal with -20F weather and two feet of snow by just hunkering down in the bushes, that he will do fine with the coop as it is. But, I'm used to pampered little house cats who shiver at anything under 70 degrees.
Also noticed he didnt have an ear tip. May have to think about a spay/neuter. Maybe this guy escaped the neutering or came about afterwards.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Also noticed he didnt have an ear tip. May have to think about a spay/neuter. Maybe this guy escaped the neutering or came about afterwards.
It's pretty easy to spot (or smell) an intact tom. Maybe they just didn't clip his ear?

I'm glad he's settling into his new home now.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Problem is that he was constantly tucked in. The "I'm afraid" stance. I got to look at his undercarriage while I dewormed him last night. Its definitely an intact male. Considering everyone else was ear tipped, I had my suspicions.