Relocating An Outside/feral Cat

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding 6 outside/feral cats. Three of these cats are mine. Three came from somewhere else and appear to be from the same litter. I have a friend that is looking for a barn kitty for their horse barn. The one they had has disappeared. She would like one of these cats. As these cats have been together for almost a year already, is it okay to take one and send him over to her house? She lives several miles away. Will he do okay by himself? Will he get too lonesome? Thanks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd encourage her to take 2 or even all 3, if at all possible. That would keep the cats closer to the barn if they had a friend. Are they spayed/neutered yet?

If she takes any of them, they have to be confined at the barn for a month or so or they'll leave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.
None of these cats are "fixed" yet but that is the plan to have done.
I will talk to her and see if she would take more than one.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
At least take 2. When my friend moved, she took Tiger,stray cat at my apt that was bff with another cat. After being at his new location for a week, he ran away. Probably back to his bff. Then hurricane Harvey hit. By car he was a few hours from me. Never saw him again

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ve already gotten great advice. Let me stress that the kitties must be kept confined until they feel at home in the new location. I also agree that sending one is not the best. If the three are bonded it would be best for them to all go together. They are much more likely to feel safe and happy that way. Once they are fixed it’s really as easy to care for two or three as it is for one. In some ways easier. Since she wants a barn cat I assume she wants a mouser. Make sure she understands that their diet cannot just be mice. They need a balanced cat food to have the energy to hunt. :goodluck: You’re great for taking care of these kitties! :rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This lady is an animal lover. She is currently in Florida (they stay there over the winter months). She is driving back to Wisconsin this week with 3 dogs and 2 cats in a van. She went down there with them. They are the house animals. She had a barn cat for about 2 years but he has now disappeared. He had food and water out there at all times. While she has been gone, she had a friend go over to make sure the cat had food and water. So another barn cat or two will be well taken care of. I hope she will take more than one.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding 6 outside/feral cats. Three of these cats are mine. Three came from somewhere else and appear to be from the same litter. I have a friend that is looking for a barn kitty for their horse barn. The one they had has disappeared. She would like one of these cats. As these cats have been together for almost a year already, is it okay to take one and send him over to her house? She lives several miles away. Will he do okay by himself? Will he get too lonesome? Thanks.
Hello G gleason and thanks for the inquiry! I, like other posters, would strongly urge adoption of multiple cats. Cats, contrary to what some believe, are very social beings -- mammals, like us -- and if cats have been living together for almost a year, they are bonded. STRONGLY encourage to adopt TOGETHER.