Relocating a feral?

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone success in relocateing a feral cat before?

We have 6 ferals who frequent our little corner of the world.  This morning at church, I saw a very friendly, pathetically thin, young-looking orange feral cat.  There was a second, much healthier-looking brown tabby cat who has apparently been TNR'd (the ear was tipped).  I have a bad feeling that this orange feral won't survive long without help, but we don't have the time, resources or permission from our church to take on another colony.  I would like to try to trap the orange feral, get him neutered and release him into our colony instead of at the church so we can look after him. 

Good idea? Or should we just let him fend for himself, knowing that he may not have a good outcome where he is now?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can always do the first part, trapping and neutering. Feeding him up some, and try with releasing at your place..  If the others wont accept him - you can revert to the old scenario, let him try to manage where he was.  Or try to find him another place.  His chances will be better after neutering, he will be easier to be accepted by females in other colonies.  AND people around and even possible  spontan adopters.

Good luck!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How far away is the church from where you live?  He may try to return to where you trapped him.  To prevent this, you should confine him for around three weeks.  Though if he is that sick and friendly, he may stick around for the food.  I'd stay with him when he is feeding, might prevent the other cats from ganging up on him.

A cat a friend and I socialized and was ready to go into a Forever Home escaped the house and returned to where I originally trapped him--two miles away, two weeks later.  (He was subsequently re-trapped and adopted out to a Forever Home.)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: As Cindy says, IF the church is close by this kitty might end up back at the church! BUT, yes, I have successfully relocated feral cats from horse barn to horse barn before. We use large dog crates for at least two weeks before we release them to be free in the barn. The crating will give them time to associate you, the new territory and environment as their new home, per se. Most times once released, they do run off and hide as there are a lot of places to hide in and out of the barns, but we do see them again and usually stick around. If the old territory is anywhere near the new, then they will most likely go back "home" to their familiar place. Good luck!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The church is 5 miles away (as the crow flies), so I do fear that he might try to go back there.  I foresee the kittens getting kicked out of their room (aka the 'foster room') so this young man can recuperate from surgery and gain some weight before being released.  The outside girls are pretty accepting and tolerant of everyone, but two of the three boys can get a little grumpy at times with each other.

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

My husband stopped by the church on his way home from church this morning to see if the cat is still there.  He came home to get me so I could look at her myself to confirm what he saw.  I thought I had seen a little black kitten (maybe 4 weeks old?) on Sunday, but I wasn't sure who it belonged to, as there was at least one other cat in the area that morning.  I guess this confirms who the 'baby mama' is, and it might explain why she is so skinny.

This completely changes our plan, especially since we didn't see the kitten this morning, and I wouldn't want to try to trap this lovely girl without her baby/babies.  We are going to ask the priest if he minds us feeding her for the next month or so so we can TNR her and her kitten(s) when her milk dries up.  If the priest doesn't give us his permission to feed her until her milk dries up (he hates cats!), we'll try to trap her and the kitten(s).  We will have to figure out some sort of enclosure in the back yard because I just can't handle more cats inside right now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  We are going to ask the priest if he minds us feeding her for the next month or so so we can TNR her and her kitten(s) when her milk dries up.  If the priest doesn't give us his permission to feed her until her milk dries up (he hates cats!), we'll try to trap her and the kitten(s).  We will have to figure out some sort of enclosure in the back yard because I just can't handle more cats inside right now.
If he is the slightest hesitant, you can tell him you got inspired by the renown tale of the shephard who not only cared for his 100 healthy sheeps he already does have, but also did his outmost troubles to find and bring back that lost sheep who got astray.  It dawned on you, it was perhaps not just a tale of God or a priest and his parish, it was perhaps also a very practical advice for living humans and animals.  

Im sure he will take that hint.

As an emergency enclosure you can always use a big dog crate or similiar.  And any shelter above it.

So as long as you do have this dog crate, there is seldom real problems with finding room.

Good luck!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is the slightest hesitant, you can tell him you got inspired by the renown tale of the shephard who not only cared for his 100 healthy sheeps he already does have, but also did his outmost troubles to find and bring back that lost sheep who got astray.  It dawned on you, it was perhaps not just a tale of God or a priest and his parish, it was perhaps also a very practical advice for living humans and animals.  
Im sure he will take that hint.

As an emergency enclosure you can always use a big dog crate or similiar.  And any shelter above it.
So as long as you do have this dog crate, there is seldom real problems with finding room.

Good luck!
Oh Stefan!!! That is a perfect way to put it to the priest!!! Briliiant!! :clap::clap::clap: How could he refuse then..... :cross:

I also agree that the dog crate works great in these type of emergency situations. I wish you much luck and will say a prayer that the priest opens his heart to allow you to care for this family of kitties. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: She is a lovely mama kitty too.

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

I got Polly (the mama cat) spayed today.  Her kittens look to be around 8 weeks old and are eating solid food.  The good news is that she wasn't pregnant yet, so I didn't have to lie to my husband (he doesn't want to spay pregnant females).  The weird thing is that one of the women my husband works with didn't want to take her and her kittens to her farm when I asked her two weeks ago, but said she would take them all when my husband mentioned to her last night that he thought she was pregnant again. 

Now to work on TNR'ing the 5 or 6 kittens and any other cats who come around.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good update!!!! and GOOD JOB!!!!!! :bigthumb: :hugs: Your doing just great and these kitties are lucky that you are caring for them. Yeah - that is odd about that lady was willing to take them IF she were pregnant again. Do you think she will still want her? I can't imagine why she would refuse either way - and now she is spayed :clap::clap: Good luck with the kittens surgeries. You are saving lives!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Yeah - that is odd about that lady was willing to take them IF she were pregnant again. Do you think she will still want her? I can't imagine why she would refuse either way - and now she is spayed
I don't know if she just didn't want any kittens to be 'aborted'.  I understand this because I had issues with this same subject a few years ago, but I'm good with doing what needs to be done to prevent more litters.  We don't have the room or the resources (and I don't have the patience) to try to socialize and rehome another litter of kittens. 

My husband had asked about relocating the mama cat and kittens to our colony, but that would mean 1) more cats in our colony at home, and 2) a vacuum effect at our church and more cats to deal with (my husband would feel sorry for the new cats and want to feed them, too).  We're already spending over $200/month on food for the whole gang

After we TNR the kittens and they are at least 6 months old, we will see if this lady still wants her and/or the kittens.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does take a ton of work and patience to socialize. I do hope this will all work out the way you and your husband are hoping for. :cross: Keep us posted. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: